Author Topic: New Player Clan  (Read 1261 times)

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
New Player Clan
« on: December 19, 2012, 06:29:16 pm »
+13
I suggest that when a new player signs up for c-RPG and establishes a main character, that they are automatically added to a New Player Clan (I don't care what you name it.)
Put a Dev/trusted currently unaffiliated Admin/Moderator/what have you in charge of administration. Maybe even a new Liaison position for a mature community member.

Place a random selection of loomed +1 to +2 weapons into the armory owned by chadz or a made up profile for this purpose.

Put up some kind of message on how to use the armoury and who to contact to check out weapons.

The reason that I would prefer to keep MW level weapons out is to encourage them to join other clans once they learn of this feature and play long enough to make c-rpg buddies in established clans.

There may be some details I'm overlooking to make this accomplish what I hope is a clear goal of helping new players, without changing the current system of heirlooms or starting equipment and such. They still won't level as fast, but they will at least have some limited access to decent gear. Perhaps limit their check out to 1 weapon and 1 armor type of equipment. If the number they can check out is limited, perhaps MW equipment would be okay as they could join an established clan for unlimited checkouts.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: New Player Clan
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 08:51:08 pm »
+1
I like it!  :wink:

Offline no_rules_just_play

• King
  • Renown: 1401
  • Infamy: 384
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE; Peasants United; Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: CapraAegagrusHircus_HRE; no_rules_just_play_HRE
  • IRC nick: norulesjustplay
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 09:05:31 pm »
i actually have been thinking about exactly the same, this will make it very easy for them to join in. ive even been thinking about doing it myself.
if this happens, i would gladly want to join the clan with an alt to help with the 'clan leaders' part of recruiting new players on the servers and giving them advice etc...

Offline Abay

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 183
  • cRPG Player
  • Steam: badbreaking
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kapikulu
  • Game nicks: Kapikulu_Abay
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 09:08:34 pm »
+10
not a good idea. every new player must taste being villager and raped, so they can remember  :D
[17:48] <Vovka> thx chadz

Offline Lannistark

• Duke
  • Renown: 586
  • Infamy: 118
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Duke
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 09:14:35 pm »
+1
not a good idea. every new player must taste being villager and raped, so they can remember  :D

Agree with the OP and Abay. If we could have a taste of both :D

Offline Boss_Awesome

• Earl
  • Renown: 338
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player
  • I am the Kwisatz Haderach
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade (Not the Coalition)
  • Game nicks: Boss_Awesome
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 01:15:35 am »
Agree with the OP and Abay. If we could have a taste of both :D

I agree with Lannistark in that I agree with the OP and Abay.  What about just giving every player a different type of loom point. (We will call it an Awesome point for now)  This loom point will be can be put on any item and switched at will.  It will not transfer with an item and always stays with the player.  This would help new players ever so slightly while the older players already have max looms.  It would also give new players a taste of looms to come and maybe get them more excited about the mod. 

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 01:25:28 am »
sooooo....

http://c-rpg.net/index.php?page=ladderoverviewclans#!?page=ladderinfoclandetail&id=2216

it was stronger than me, i have 1 member already

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 09:42:36 pm »
New players deserve more than no_rules_just_play and his resources.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline NuberT

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: NuberT_HRE
  • IRC nick: NuberT_HRE
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 09:46:04 pm »
+1
all new players in one clan, must have massive impact on team-balance :mrgreen:.

Offline Auphilia

• Earl
  • Renown: 480
  • Infamy: 190
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 10:06:36 pm »
Normally I always support things to help new players, but I don't think getting them geared to be clan slaves is the right way to do it.
They should be able to learn the game at their own pace, with their own roleplay (if they chose to), and their own ambitions. If they join a clan too early, they will just become hardwired to fit the needs of the clan. Their gear will probably be restricted, their class will probably be heavily influenced on the clan and limited, they will develop a feeling of dependence on being in a clan. If they aren't in a clan they get no looms, they get no help, they get no troll protection, they get no admin abuse protection, etc. The game shouldn't be about any of that.

I still think it is a bad idea to even have an armory with heirloomed items. That just makes players not care to get their own looms. To a new player, it would seem more important to join a clan and forfeit their own ambitions for the sake of looms and protection than to gain their own looms, start their own clan, create a new theme, or just be creative in general.

One of the biggest problems of the game is the lack of incentive for unaffiliated clan-less players. Excuse me, I mean unaffiliated megaclan-less players. To have a small clan means little more than being a solo pub player. The community has successfully become and arms and attrition race between clans. They all know the value of being the largest clans and what little power that leaves for anyone else, so why not get bigger? Why not recruit every last player of crpg if they can? In my opinion, the game would be much more exciting and fun, if there were more 5-10 player clans and less megaclans.

Anyways back on topic, I can't support anything that gears players to join megaclans. We all know how boring giant clans with giant alliances have become. When they all join a server, they win win win win. When they fight wars in strat (usually against someone significantly smaller) they win win win win. There is no real challenge. There are no surprises. It is just a game of mathematics.

So again, if you want to help new players, give them incentives to be solo pub players, not to join a clan ASAP. I'm sure most people played the game for a few months before ever joining a clan. If they went strait to a clan then they probably missed the funnest part of this game; to create your own character, with your choice of weapons and armor, and play the way you want to play.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 10:10:03 pm by Archdemon »

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 11:23:50 pm »
+1
Lots of blah blah that missed the point.

This is a New Player clan run by Dev's not players. It isn't for veterans. It is for new players to have the opportunity to try out decent gear with restricted limits on what they can check out. Hence, there are no veteran clan *rules*. When they level up above 25-29, they should be removed from the clan. All your goal seems to be is to prevent them from learning that they can join a clan and get the benefit of an armoury.

And seriously, if you are afraid of a stacked clan of newbs, then you really, really need to learn to play and stop gear crutching!  :idea:

Offline Auphilia

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 11:44:04 pm »
Personal insults already.  :rolleyes:
I thought better of you.

A stacked clan of noobs = indefinite x1 for them if they use their banner. More farm for other clans, who definitely need more farm.
I didn't miss the point. I'm saying I don't agree with the idea. New players shouldn't be given loompoints or loomed items, neither should people who simply join a clan. You also didn't mention them ever being removed from the clan at a specific level until just now.

If heirloomed items are such an extremely deciding factor in any fight, then they should be purely aesthetic, not freely handed out to anyone who joins a large clan or to new players.

My goal isn't to prevent them from learning they can join a clan lol? As impossible as that goal would be...
I just don't think they should be given incentives to. If you want to help out new players, give new players incentives for discovering what they want to do with their character on their own. Not to join a clan and be told what class they should be, or what build they need to make, or what gear they can't wear.

Nothing is wrong with a little creativity and variety. This community definitely could use more of that.

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 12:42:53 am »

neither should people who simply join a clan. You also didn't mention them ever being removed from the clan at a specific level until just now. NEW player clan is self-evident, but I had to spell it out for you. NEW players don't get gold upkeep until after level 25.

If heirloomed items are such an extremely deciding factor in any fight, then they should be purely aesthetic, not freely handed out to anyone who joins a large clan or to new players.

My goal isn't to prevent them from learning they can join a clan lol? As impossible as that goal would be...
I just don't think they should be given incentives to. If you want to help out new players, give new players incentives for discovering what they want to do with their character on their own. Not to join a clan and be told what class they should be, or what build they need to make, or what gear they can't wear.

News flash, this is the state of the game. Players in a clan have an armoury. Players who join a clan get to use that gear. Heirlooms are NOT aesthetic and your desire for how it should be is not how it is.

Yeah, your stated goal is to keep them from joining a clan. You want them to learn on their own "to be solo pub players".

You keep claiming that someone is going to tell them "what class to be, what build to make, or what gear they can't wear" which is a TOTAL fabrication. Sure, some clans have rules about it, most do not. A Dev run NEW player clan with a random selection of heirloomed weapons as I stated in no way dictates what they can wear except they would be limited to a couple heirlooms. Nowhere did I state that their would be some kind of uniform requirement. They have MORE of an opportunity to try things out with gear being made available to them.
This suggestion is a direct counter to nerf heirlooms to "make it easier for new players."

How about giving actual factual "incentives" instead of a generic statement that means nothing without real examples to be + or - by the community? Might as well say "People, we should all be promoting world peace!" Awesome. And your idea for doing this is?

What is your suggestion to "make it easier for new players" without nerfing the items that veteran players have spent months and years earning? What are these incentives you have in mind to encourage them to "discover what they want to do with their character on their own" without leaving them floundering on their own as they do now? So easy to be negative about someone else's suggestion without presenting one of your own.

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 12:47:13 am »
+1
BITCHFIGHT! in the meanwhile the clan is growing.

edit: i agree with both, the point isnt really to get them all ready to join other clans. We dont really play as a clan and almost never play together. the armoury might be attractive, but in the end they should be able to buy their own stuff.

the goal about the free items is that when they respec, they dont have to sell their weapons and buy new ones all the time. because as everybody has felt that, all the respeccing you did in your first gen costed a damn shitload of money
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 12:50:36 am by no_rules_just_play »

Offline Auphilia

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2012, 02:16:54 am »
Didn't say I had a plan of my own. This topic is about your plan, and I just don't agree it is going the right direction. I simply suggested a different direction.

You talk about what is in comparison to what should be implying that it is wrong to have ideas that change things. I was under the impression that the Suggestions Corner was designed to promote what people think should be in hopes to change what is.

My opinion: There should be no armory of potentially unlimited free heirlooms that players have access to without ever earning any of it. I understand that already exists.

Your opinion: There should be an armory of potentially unlimited free heirlooms that new players have access to without ever earning any of it.

My opinion conflicts with your opinion; disagreement.

I feel it takes away from the game to force players into a clan or to offer free items and effortless gameplay to players who do choose to join a clan.

As I said before, I'm all for nerfing heirlooms all together and just making them aesthetic. With the way things are now, being a new player just gets harder and harder. The veterans of this community just keep getting more skillful, and having more and more looms, stacking in entire clans of veterans, etc. There really isn't much incentive for new players. Yes, giving them free looms helps a bit, I just don't think that is the right direction to go, as it takes away from the feel of accomplishment. I'm not saying I know how to fix everything, I just don't agree fully with this idea.

Making heirlooms purely aesthetic would be more fair and items could be balanced more easily. Of course, some players will never accept such an idea because they rely on their heirlooms to do decently and might GTX crpg is this was done, but still I think it would be more fair for new players.

TL:DR - I'm not dismissing your idea. I just don't think it is the right direction. If nothing else can be done, then I suppose your idea is better than nothing.