Author Topic: HBO's Game of Thrones. [No Book Spoilers]  (Read 167015 times)

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones. [No Book Spoilers]
« Reply #420 on: May 31, 2012, 06:56:42 am »
+1
I fucking hate the names. WHY do all mediocre fantasists (and let's be honest, George R.R. Martin is an average writer at best) have to give their characters stupid fucking names? George, Carl, Frank, Tom, these are great names. So is Bob. I think in the entire story there are about 4 characters with normal names (and even then Peter is spelled Petyr or some shit), and this is a ridiculous tool used by desperatly uninspired and untalented writers to make their universes seem more mystical, fantastical or someshit. Enough.

Sam, thats another good name. And Frederick. And John. Fuck Daenerys Targaryen, wtf is that, a fucking anagram of a village in Wales or something? Bugger that.
I don't know enough

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #421 on: May 31, 2012, 11:26:38 am »
+1
Yeah. I want Bob to slay the crocodiles in Edinburgh Zoo and wage war against the Glasgow Pimps.

Realism bitches.

If anything, Martin keeps it pretty low key with the names apart from the Targaryen names which are foreign to Westeros.

Of course you could have Lisa Humperdink instead of Daenerys Targaryen but that might not reflect that the Humperdinks came from old Valyria with dragons.

Ned(Eddard), Robb, Theon, Jaime, Sansa, Aria, Bronn, Brann, Asha, Osha, Catelyn. They're not that impossible. I'm surprised you're not complaining about the "Ser" instead of "Sir" and "Maester" instead of "Master".

Anyway, I agree Tolkien and practically all fantasists are mediocre fantasists because their characters have silly names.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 11:34:24 am by Ninja_Khorin »

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: May 31, 2012, 01:47:36 pm »
+1
I'm more set back by his obsession to describe the families with metaphoric animals (which are their sigils as well) all the time. Also some of the family "words" are stupid "Hear me roar" wtf?

I wonder at the names sometimes, too, especially of places and such. But then again I walk through the streets of some german towns and look at the names of the streets or the names of the towns or the names of the people who live there, ridiculous.

And you can say many things of martin's writing style, but the one thing which is brilliant and makes this fantasy-drama outstanding IMO is the sharpness, depth and realistic description of the characters, their actions and their interaction with other characters and their character-development. Lasts episodes prime example: The Hound. (Or Cersei?)

Offline Earthdforce

• Earl
  • Renown: 391
  • Infamy: 150
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Earth_Geodude_da_Defender, _RageThrower
  • IRC nick: Khalestimo#7613
« Reply #423 on: May 31, 2012, 05:54:51 pm »
+1
Humperdink

Someone's been watching the Princess Bride ;)

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #424 on: May 31, 2012, 06:32:57 pm »
+1
More like Eurovision unfortunately.

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: May 31, 2012, 08:27:47 pm »
+1
Someone's been watching the Princess Bride ;)

As it happens Humperdink is a name dating back 400 years... dont know about the Princess Bride tho, not seen it.
I don't know enough

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • Renown: 377
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Saracen_Berserkaziz_Amir
« Reply #426 on: May 31, 2012, 09:02:05 pm »
+1
And Frederick

That´s my actual fucking name Oo

btw. I think fantasy names are ok.Sure, they seem weird sometimes...But in a fantasy world, Culture will have developed differently to ours, with different languages.It´s not unlikely that they will have found other names than the ones we grew used to over centuries.
Maybe it woud be better for me to find out where you life and kill you when you are satch a Soziopath. You have enough now.
"I don´t believe in anything, I´m just here for the violence."

Offline Aleskander

• Baron
  • Renown: 80
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
  • I swear to drunk ossifer I'm not god
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Aleskander, Alesoy Varsov
« Reply #427 on: June 01, 2012, 03:35:08 am »
+1
I don't see why it matters, pay attention to the story and not the names, they are really immaterial.

"Die in Turkish Penis"-Grabber, 14-6-12
Never forget

Offline Beauchamp

• Earl
  • Renown: 427
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
    • Personal portfolio
« Reply #428 on: June 04, 2012, 02:13:27 pm »
+1
i hope they kill that fatty hiding behind a rock just at the start of the next episode. i hate that illogical character and his annoying voice. but im quite afraid he will again illogically survieve and i will have to listen to his gibberish until the end of my days.
OOODDIIINVALHALLAAAAAAA on the 20th of April 2011: What I know is that... heh, eh ja how can I explain? ...deh feeling to believe in Odin is right, dat is what I say, ja?!

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: June 04, 2012, 02:37:16 pm »
+1
i hope they kill that fatty hiding behind a rock just at the start of the next episode. i hate that illogical character and his annoying voice. but im quite afraid he will again illogically survieve and i will have to listen to his gibberish until the end of my days.
one of my favourite characters! :D

Offline ThePoopy

• Earl
  • Renown: 411
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • .l..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: PolePoop
« Reply #430 on: June 04, 2012, 03:09:18 pm »
+1
zombies  :o

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: June 04, 2012, 03:20:19 pm »
+1
I'm more set back by his obsession to describe the families with metaphoric animals (which are their sigils as well) all the time. Also some of the family "words" are stupid "Hear me roar" wtf?

Why are those stupid? Historic noble families had similar mottos in their Coat of Arms. Modern military units have them as well. Have you noticed that countries nowadays also use animals metaphorically all the time, in their coat of arms and otherwise?
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: June 04, 2012, 03:58:24 pm »
+1
Why are those stupid? Historic noble families had similar mottos in their Coat of Arms. Modern military units have them as well. Have you noticed that countries nowadays also use animals metaphorically all the time, in their coat of arms and otherwise?
To my ears some of these words sound strangely modern-american, not fitting into the rest. Maybe I'm wrong, perhaps I'll go check some example devices in the libabry... (unlikely, and what will it proof?) And I think some of the mottos are quite good (like "we do not sow")

I don't remember exactly where it was, but I think there were often sentences where people talked or thought about lions and wolves and stags and actually meant the houses of course. No big deal, though. Simply didn't liked it that much.

zombies  :o
yes, and even the classic slow-type :P

Offline Anal Bleeding

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 105
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: June 04, 2012, 04:12:46 pm »
+1
the names Stark and Lannister are based on York and Lancaster of the War of the Roses.

Offline Beauchamp

• Earl
  • Renown: 427
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
    • Personal portfolio
« Reply #434 on: June 04, 2012, 06:40:46 pm »
+1
one of my favourite characters! :D

Wtf how sbdy can ever like that one? All parts with him are the most boring and illogical ones, I can't imagine that in "reality" that fat clumsy pig would survive any march on a Night's Watch. I doubt he'd ever make any friends there. He just doesn't fit there at all and he should die, the sooner the better! I'd like to see him as a wildling zombie or what you turn into if you die there though...
OOODDIIINVALHALLAAAAAAA on the 20th of April 2011: What I know is that... heh, eh ja how can I explain? ...deh feeling to believe in Odin is right, dat is what I say, ja?!