Author Topic: HBO's Game of Thrones. [No Book Spoilers]  (Read 162500 times)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones. [No Book Spoilers]
« Reply #1410 on: May 15, 2014, 12:10:07 pm »
+1
Uh... no.

They were clearly going to fight, or were at least undecided, before the dogs came into play. It was emphasized strongly, with the slow opening of the dog cage, etc., etc.

As for your "it's really easy to fight them with a big sword and awareness".... sigh. I would really fucking love to see you fight off multiple massive fighting dogs while their owners, also equipped with steel, come barging at you. Really, I'd pay to see that. And then hear your comments about how easy it was. I think my favorite pet peeve is starting to be nerds who state things about fighting manner-of-factly and claim things "easy" that they have no idea about.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Lars

• Earl
  • Renown: 346
  • Infamy: 34
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: May 15, 2014, 12:51:45 pm »
+1
They should have worn a gas mask and pepper sprayed the dogs.

Offline F i n

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1148
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Hi
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fin
  • IRC nick: Fin
« Reply #1412 on: May 15, 2014, 01:50:24 pm »
+2
Uh... no.

They were clearly going to fight, or were at least undecided, before the dogs came into play. It was emphasized strongly, with the slow opening of the dog cage, etc., etc.

As for your "it's really easy to fight them with a big sword and awareness".... sigh. I would really fucking love to see you fight off multiple massive fighting dogs while their owners, also equipped with steel, come barging at you. Really, I'd pay to see that. And then hear your comments about how easy it was. I think my favorite pet peeve is starting to be nerds who state things about fighting manner-of-factly and claim things "easy" that they have no idea about.

Oh boy... now that i'm called a nerd i'm going to act like one and give u a wall as an answer.

First of all: I love when ppl rage about other ppl calling other other ppl capabale or not capable of fighting other other other ppl.

I did not say, I was able to fight off dogs. But i guess wartrained Soldiers, killing stuff for a living would be able to. (Maybe now that i used color and size you will read it right)

But that's not even my main point. My main point is that u have to read between the lines. There are many symbolic actions in that scene that one might not notice when too much focused on barking dogs and swords.

For example the moment when he's at the lock and about to unleash the dogs....

First of all, if they'd really wanted to fight, they could've EASILY attacked the naked dude while he was opening the lock of the first cell - I mean he's doing that for like 10 seconds and they're 5 m away from each other. But there was some kind of insecurity in the air, caused by reeks resistance. They were of course holding on to their primary motivation of going there in the first place - but now they're like "what the hell is going on...", unable to get to a decision. That "release my brother and no more of your men will be harmed" was more halfhearted than determinant. While on the other hand, our naked dude's got quite the authority - and his side seems to be quite definite about their motives. Also, i would keep in mind, that even before that szene the ironborn lady had to fight a lot for her brother already (with her father, with her men, with theon himself)... and she was quite sure of doing the right thing - but now in that cell? After theon bit her? After he resisted? And after he repeated like 100 times that his name's reek? Im not so sure...

Second, even IF he'd release that ONE dog - are u telling me that would change everything? It would still be a fight, someone would not run from if this someone is a trained soldier and sure of the good cause.

Third, the scene doesn't close with him unlocking the door of the cell, but with 3, what i think important, moments :

1) Reek biting his sister (as mentioned above) ,
2) "you've got bigger balls than he ever had",
3) The very last frames of that scene are Reek's eyes and those of her sister. They have a last (not that friendly) eye contact in which she decides what to do next, since theon's already decided.

Thats the dramaturgical peak of the sister-brother-story.

So the cut's placed just right.

However, and that might enrage the more action-fanatic viewers amongst us, her conclusion and how the story goes on is not shown! 

When returning to the boat the only thing she says is "my brother is dead". So what to do with that?

We did not actually see the naked dude releasing the dogs - only him handling the lock.

But given, that dogs run faster than humans why are they not visible at the beach?

Did they maybe remain in the dungeon AFTER being released, feasting on the fallen?

Were they even released in the first place?

U can still hear them - closing in.

But that as well could be just a dramaturgical way of showing the fierce resistance of all the men and dogs in that keep - including reek (instead of actually meaning they're closing in).

You can blend with audio as well as with video.

But the Fact is we do not know.

However, there's those who are thinking about what happened in that scene, and then there are those who'd rather call others nerds and unknowing just because their need for dull scenes did not get statisfied. 

So spare me your "big-cock-I-am-so-much-better-than-you-talk" and piss off.

Maybe watch the episode again and try to actually watch it, not consume it.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 01:54:16 pm by Finuad »
"Life was easier as a borderline alcoholic." (chadz, 2016)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: May 15, 2014, 01:54:05 pm »
+1
"One dog", did you even watch the episode?
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #1414 on: May 15, 2014, 01:54:30 pm »
+3
Oh snap.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline F i n

• OKAM Developer
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: May 15, 2014, 01:55:44 pm »
+1
There's more than one door.

Opening one, does not open all.

Did u even watch real life - door opening?

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: May 15, 2014, 01:57:42 pm »
+1
Opening multiple doors opens multiple doors.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline F i n

• OKAM Developer
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: May 15, 2014, 01:59:20 pm »
+1
That's absolutely true.

But can u open multiple doors, while 3 ppl with swords attack you?

And don't tell me i have no idea how fighting works.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: May 15, 2014, 02:02:22 pm »
+1
Yes, I can, while I have my own people protecting me plus more dogs every door I open.

Seriously, that episode is not rocket science. It's very obvious to any non-retards what happened. Extremely obvious. It's underlined so everyone (well apparently not) will understand, just like Oberyn bisexuality. Theon's sister still wants Theon back even after he bites her. She even says so. But after the dogs come into play, she and Theon lock eyes, and she decides he's not worth enough to fight to almost certain death. Very clear cut.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline F i n

• OKAM Developer
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: May 15, 2014, 02:07:53 pm »
+1
Yes, I can, while I have my own people protecting me plus more dogs every door I open.

Seriously, that episode is not rocket science. It's very obvious to any non-retards what happened. Extremely obvious. It's underlined so everyone (well apparently not) will understand, just like Oberyn bisexuality. Theon's sister still wants Theon back even after he bites her. She even says so. But after the dogs come into play, she and Theon lock eyes, and she decides he's not worth enough to fight to almost certain death. Very clear cut.

That is your opinion, which i accept.

Just note, that there are others too, and that insulting ppl is not the best way to communicate your own ideas.

Movies, just as books or music never just have 1 story to tell. But basically any story you want them to tell YOU.

Sharing that is cool.

Judging others is not.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: May 15, 2014, 02:09:05 pm »
+1
It's not my opinion, it's a fact. You can, of course, pretend that something different happened. But my version is the version the director and scriptwriter wanted to tell.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: May 15, 2014, 03:45:56 pm »
+2
The entire scene was so awkward and dumb anyway. Never was a big fan of the entire Reek thing in the books either.

Offline NejStark

• Marshall
  • Renown: 918
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
    • Personal wesbite
  • Game nicks: GK_NejStark, Anything with "Nej" in it.
  • IRC nick: itsnej
« Reply #1422 on: May 15, 2014, 04:55:08 pm »
+1
Yeah it was an awkward scene. I don't mind the Reek line though, in books or TV.
"A man on the steppe with no friends is as narrow as a finger; a man with friends is as wide as the steppe"

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #1423 on: May 15, 2014, 06:53:51 pm »
+3
In the German version Theon's sister is named Asha. It took me ages to realize who that "yara" is...

It's Asha in the books as well: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Asha_Greyjoy

In the TV series she is named Yara Greyjoy to avoid confusion with the wildling Osha and is played by Gemma Whelan.
That happens when people pronounce those 2 names the same... should actually possible to spot the difference as the two are totally different characters...
plus Osha wasn't mentioned since they parted way south of the wall.
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Franke

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Franke_HRE and Frankes_STF_HRE
« Reply #1424 on: May 15, 2014, 11:58:21 pm »
+1
plus Osha wasn't mentioned since they parted way south of the wall.

(click to show/hide)
Quote from: Tindel
In teamspeak i like to hear all of your opinions on; beer and alcohol, chocolate chip cookies, social problems and their solutions, massmurderers, why ranged should burn in hell, hating on new maps, hating on old maps.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login