Author Topic: Hey people!  (Read 1582 times)

Offline Malak_Dawnfire

• Knight
  • Renown: 30
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Malak_Dawnfire_HREr
Hey people!
« on: December 15, 2012, 12:20:54 pm »
+5
Figured I'd introduce myself, new to the mod for the most part and am just curious how I, as a new player, can be of better use to my team? I tend to mostly play Siege as I die quickly and often which I find gives me more time to practice my sword work. I'm playing a Shield+1h build right now and dropped a point into Power-Draw so I could pick up a short bow for some ranged but it's rather disheartening to go an entire match without getting kills, any advice?

I also should point out here that I'm rather new to Mount&Blade:Warband itself, so I'm not entirely familiar with tricks like Chamberblocking and always find myself impressed with two players with two-handed weapons duke it out in a seemingly endless stream of blocks/parries.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 12:28:25 pm by Malak_Dawnfire »

Offline Erzengel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 769
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Norse_Erzengel
Re: Hey people!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 12:28:09 pm »
+1
Short Bow with 1 Powerdraw isn't useful. Don't waste your time trying to shoot somebody. Better go into melee. Which level are you and which build and equipment are you using?

If you have any questions feel free to ask.  :)

Edit: For some reason the link to the shielder guide isn't working. Check the Guide section, you will find it easily.

Offline Malak_Dawnfire

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 12:29:49 pm »
Short bow with 1 powerdraw isn't useful. Don't waste your time trying to shoot somebody. Better go into melee. Which level are you and which build and equipment are you using?

Check out the shielder guide:

If you have any questions feel free to ask.  :)

Thanks for the quick response, I'm level 14 and attempting to copy this build:

Level 30 (4 420 577 xp)

Strength: 21
    Agility: 15
    Hit points: 70

Skills to attributes: 2

Ironflesh: 7
    Power Strike: 7
    Shield: 5
    Athletics: 5
    Riding: 0
    Horse Archery: 0
    Power Draw: 0
    Power Throw: 0
    Weapon Master: 5

One Handed: 148
    Two Handed: 1
    Polearm: 1
    Archery: 1
    Crossbow: 1
    Throwing: 1

Edit: As for my equipment I'm currently using..a Mail Coif, Byrnie, Mail Mittens, Mail Chausses, Fighting Pick and a Board Shield. You already know about the bow.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 12:33:15 pm by Malak_Dawnfire »

Offline Erzengel

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 12:33:43 pm »
+1
That's a good build.

You can also try 18/18:

(click to show/hide)

You move faster and your shield lasts longer. You also won't get outreached that fast and can use even shorter weapons like the Steel Pick with it. Perhaps a little bit better choice for a beginner.

Offline Malak_Dawnfire

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 12:36:32 pm »
That sounds great, since I'm not too far into this build yet I can probably manage to start working toward the one you posted instead! Is there any advice for which type of weapon/shields I should get? (reading the guide right now)

Offline Erzengel

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 12:44:22 pm »
+1
With 6 shield skill there are lots of viable shields. Elite Cavalry Shield, Heavy Round Shield, Plate Covered Round Shield, Knightly Kite/Heater Shield and Huscarl's Round Shield are all great choices. Elite Cavalry Shield is probably a good idea for the beginning because it is fast, protects you well and is quite cheap.

You should get gear that isn't too expensive in order to make gold. Use light or medium armor.

As weapon I can recommend you Liuyedao, Scimitar, Military Cleaver, Nordic War Sword, Niuweidao, Military Pick, Military Hammer, Italian Sword, Arabian Cavalry Sword or Elite Scimitar. All these weapons deal good damage even if unloomed and aren't too short. There are other great choices (Steel Pick, Nordic Champion's Sword etc.) but most of them are either very expensive or extremly short (need some pratice time).

Edit: Your armor setup looks good. Perhaps get a better helmet (one with about 2 weight) and another weapon and shield in the future. :) Don't expect to kill somebody until you are atleast lvl 21. Perhaps you should respecc to get rid of the Powerdraw. You will level fast to 21 on the low lvl server (EU_5 for europe).
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 12:48:32 pm by Churchill »

Offline no_rules_just_play

• King
  • Renown: 1401
  • Infamy: 384
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE; Peasants United; Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: CapraAegagrusHircus_HRE; no_rules_just_play_HRE
  • IRC nick: norulesjustplay
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 03:11:37 am »
+1
well the best always, is try not to mindlessly charge or go pure for the kills. i player piker and it is always so easy to kill people that are only focussing on the enemy and try to hit him (i just stay behind my friends and poke the people in their balls). so: look around you and think before you go in. also dont let them fool you and dont just try to sneak up someones back with your weapon up and your block down. its so easy to use the ~ (querty) or ² (azerty) button to look behind you and stab people in the face that think they are ninjas and can sneak up your back.
also stay with the team and dont charge before your team has charged (if you go in and they dont follow, you are fucked), try to look at other players when you are dead and decide wich players are worth to follow (pick players that are very good fighters or support (like pikers) and that follow the team, players like GTX (very good dueller) are a bad choice because they want to draw enemies away from the group and duel them. these 'duellers' wont help you that often.

also, listen to churchill (erzengel), he is an epic shielder and has tons of experience

Offline bavvoz

• Earl
  • Renown: 323
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Bavvo
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 09:27:34 am »
+1
Hi and welcome! I started playing this game about 3 months ago so i still remember how it is when ur rly fresh meat on the market. It sucks :D but if u endure u will get better and better :)
Are u on eu? if ud be interested i could show u some things, just throw me a pm if so.

Offline Malak_Dawnfire

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 10:05:21 am »
Thanks for the tips guys! I'm American but tend to play on both, seems that EU has a bigger fascination for Siege than the US does (more players!) I'll make sure to keep an eye out for these people and hopefully make some friends along the way.

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 11:06:55 am »
+1
SIEGE! nomnomnom x5

Offline Malak_Dawnfire

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 11:37:27 am »
I have noticed that two handers, at least the people I fight seem to have an incredible swinging speed, faster than my pick which is at 98. I'm assuming that they're chamberblocking or at least have very good weapons..so how can I manage to land a hit against these guys?

Offline NuberT

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: NuberT_HRE
  • IRC nick: NuberT_HRE
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 11:52:24 am »
footwork is the key, try to pass them and swing at close distance, also practise fainting, which is a necessity. You know by starting swings and interrupting them by blocking.

Btw they are most likely not chamber-blocking, chamber-blocking short 1h weapons is hardcore - they are simply spamming :P.

Offline Malak_Dawnfire

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 12:06:56 pm »
I'll try and work on my footwork then, thanks for that. 

Also one more question! I'm curious if the community uses a teamspeak when playing their games? It's not required for me to get enjoyment but it sure does help making the endless deaths more enduring.

Offline NuberT

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: NuberT_HRE
  • IRC nick: NuberT_HRE
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2012, 12:59:49 pm »
+1
Why not join right  HRE away :)? We use teamspeak. Just apply here http://holyromanempire.de.vu/

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 03:04:26 pm »
BAM
our recruit trap has closed :P

jk. but yeah, why not join us? i think its always fun to help (and maybe troll) new players :D protip: everything i say is true ;))))))

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 03:55:42 pm by no_rules_just_play »