Author Topic: Suggestion: permanent gear  (Read 2414 times)

Offline Visconti

• Count
  • Renown: 278
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Velucan
  • Game nicks: Tristran_Steward_of_TKoV
Re: Suggestion: permanent gear
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 10:55:15 pm »
+3
I like the Dota 2 system:
After each battle you could randomly get an permanent item. Some items are common, some rare(lite crossbow, arbalest).
You could also trade items that you don't use.

Using this system on Strat:
Ppl will play a lot more battles(if every 100vs100 could give you your precious mw cudgel). No more roster problems.
Even fighting for the peasant army won't be so boring & spawnrapy as it is now when you will have your favorite turban great long axe.
Did you get cudgel? Get\trade second one & make Commoner's cudgel! Collect 4 for Elder's cudgel!

Also % of drop could be slightly based upon you performance

This system won't hurt current Stat economics since items would be rare & won't make huge impact to the battle results, but will bring more interest to the Strategus.

Idea sounds like alot of fun, but i wouldnt want to see people running around in a full suit of their own items, maybe just like weapons or something. One thing that makes strat so cool is that each team is wearing a uniform specific to the army they are fighting for, would hate to see that replaced with everyone using completely different stuff, making strat battles look just like the normal battle servers.
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies

Offline Boss_Awesome

• Earl
  • Renown: 338
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player
  • I am the Kwisatz Haderach
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade (Not the Coalition)
  • Game nicks: Boss_Awesome
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2012, 01:15:58 am »
+3
Permanent items sounds extremely lame.  Getting rid of the risk in games is what those crappy games like WoW or whatever do.  Eventually everyone has the same crap and fights become meaningless. 

Offline Loki

• Count
  • Renown: 228
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
  • I don't know karate, but I know crazy.
    • View Profile
    • The Fallen Brigade
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Loki
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2012, 03:36:28 am »
+2
I like the Dota 2 system:
After each battle you could randomly get an permanent item. Some items are common, some rare(lite crossbow, arbalest).
You could also trade items that you don't use.

Using this system on Strat:
Ppl will play a lot more battles(if every 100vs100 could give you your precious mw cudgel). No more roster problems.
Even fighting for the peasant army won't be so boring & spawnrapy as it is now when you will have your favorite turban great long axe.
Did you get cudgel? Get\trade second one & make Commoner's cudgel! Collect 4 for Elder's cudgel!

Also % of drop could be slightly based upon you performance

This system won't hurt current Stat economics since items would be rare & won't make huge impact to the battle results, but will bring more interest to the Strategus.

My problem with this system is that it turns strategus into a grind for your favorite gear.  Imho this game is already far too much of a grind and this would make it even worse.

The FUN part about games is that you can win or lose.  Winning and losing should have consequences.  The more losing hurts the sweeter victory is.  Which is why games like World of Warcraft have no appeal to the thinking man.  Don't turn strategus into a kill 10 wolves quest.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2012, 04:39:02 am »
+2
Idea sounds like alot of fun, but i wouldnt want to see people running around in a full suit of their own items, maybe just like weapons or something. One thing that makes strat so cool is that each team is wearing a uniform specific to the army they are fighting for, would hate to see that replaced with everyone using completely different stuff, making strat battles look just like the normal battle servers.

Weapons might be nice.

My problem with this system is that it turns strategus into a grind for your favorite gear.  Imho this game is already far too much of a grind and this would make it even worse.

The FUN part about games is that you can win or lose.  Winning and losing should have consequences.  The more losing hurts the sweeter victory is.  Which is why games like World of Warcraft have no appeal to the thinking man.  Don't turn strategus into a kill 10 wolves quest.

But ultimately this.

I like the idea that strat is completely separate from crpg and that we have to organize weapons and armors for armies otherwise you get steamrolled. I am aware I'm not involved in that organization since I'm a simple taser but having weapons and/or armor that stays with you forever no matter what is lame for strat.

Plz don't do dis.

Offline Vovka

• King
  • Renown: 1174
  • Infamy: 240
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Druzhina
  • Game nicks: Druzhina_Vovka
  • IRC nick: Vovka
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2012, 08:29:43 am »
+2
Smell 100vs100 battles in prime time for farm shit XD
 And alot 100vs100 with 1vs1 man roster for farm shit in midle of the night  :P

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2012, 09:04:06 am »
+4

What I would consider fun in this is that it's a separate trading game for the players. The persistant items would probably never be many enough to skip equipment buying completely. However, the fact that you will get random items mean that you have to trade with others to achieve what you want. And this could be interesting, might lead to players being more active as individuals, and help with the long term fun for individuals.

It might even increase the strat experience as a whole, blackmailing for items, etc etc.

Offline KingBread

• Earl
  • Renown: 445
  • Infamy: 42
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: KingBread
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2012, 09:23:59 am »
+1
Permanent items seems super cool. It's not that you will get one mw axe and you can spawn with it allways but you can spawn with it ONCE in every battle. So you can try to get more of them and if they will be rare enought this system will never overcome normal eq buying. I think this collector mode will add a lot of fun to strat.

Also reduce preparation phase for small battles and full rosters for every random battle

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2012, 10:54:56 am »
+2
[...] And this could be interesting, might lead to players being more active as individuals, and help with the long term fun for individuals.

[...]
As individual - I do not belong to any faction except my own - I can tell you from my experience that there is no fun for individuals/solo players. As soon as you step out of a town there is somebody waiting to attack you. And then there is the roster: as a solo player there is barely a chance to get a proper roster if attacked by some faction dude. I got lucky since I know a few people to talk to for help and know how to make a fuzz about it... solo players don't enjoy Strat, that is my conclusion from checking the battles from time to time. Either you group up with someone or you don't play it.
There is something that should be improved...

(click to show/hide)
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2012, 07:35:32 pm »
Permanent items sounds extremely lame.  Getting rid of the risk in games is what those crappy games like WoW or whatever do.  Eventually everyone has the same crap and fights become meaningless.

Yeah that's the problem I don't like with suggestions (although on paper they sound interesting).

That's the main reason I don't like MMO games, is because people collect pixel crack with no fear of ever losing it.  That's why games like Ultima Online were so cool, was because it was risk vs reward.  You had to decide if putting on your best gear to fight high level NPC's was worth the risk of getting ganked by a Player Killer, or dying to the NPC and having someone steal the loot on your body. 

And I literally just heard of the MMO "Darkfall" yesterday, I was pretty pissed to know that there's an MMO with loot drop/sand box and I didn't know about it.  I know about EVE online, but I can't get into sci-fi type space games.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Dach

• Earl
  • Renown: 444
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dach_BRD / SNSD_Taeyeon
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2012, 09:26:34 pm »
Yeah that's the problem I don't like with suggestions (although on paper they sound interesting).

That's the main reason I don't like MMO games, is because people collect pixel crack with no fear of ever losing it.  That's why games like Ultima Online were so cool, was because it was risk vs reward.  You had to decide if putting on your best gear to fight high level NPC's was worth the risk of getting ganked by a Player Killer, or dying to the NPC and having someone steal the loot on your body. 

And I literally just heard of the MMO "Darkfall" yesterday, I was pretty pissed to know that there's an MMO with loot drop/sand box and I didn't know about it.  I know about EVE online, but I can't get into sci-fi type space games.

In EVE it's even worse... when someone kill you, half your stuff get destroyed for ever... half drop for the other to loot.  8-)
A lot of people in the NA community know that Dach rages and in the process of his uncontrollable rage, he tends to kick people.

You've been warned! :twisted:

Offline BADPLAYER_old2

• Earl
  • Renown: 360
  • Infamy: 235
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Not a Bad player
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2012, 09:27:08 am »
+1
I like the idea of permanent items but I don't think they should be as useful as described here, otherwise what happens when a dude gets say a Mamluk? Being able to use something so expensive for every life for free is just stupid and unbalanced, not to mention what happens 2-3months into strat when everyone has items and a new player wants to start out, it would make it even harder for them to get on battle rosters than it already is now since they have no permanent gear and they can't get on the roster so they can't get the gear they need to be on the roster ect.

I have few ideas about how it could be added but not made unbalanced-

1. When you lead an army, after a battle has been declared you can choose to put a certain amount of gold in "merc payment" and this will be shown on the battle tab and stuff, and what it does is whenever someone during the battle uses their permanent equipment instead of gear you bought for them it subtracts it from there at the cost of what the gear would be like to buy with no discounts.

I think this would be pretty cool for smaller factions who don't have a good selection of gear so they could ask for mercs to bring their own, and of course you could just put 0gold into merc payment and everyone would have to use the items you bought for them.

2. Group items by weight class when buying, so for example you could have "peasant armour, archery armour, light armour, medium armour, heavy armour, plate armour"
And say you bought a +3 Cavalry Robe from your fief and it is classed as "light armour", during a battle anybody could use the cavalry robe like normal, but if they had a +3 Lamellar Vest they could use that instead and it would count as using the cav robe in everything but looks (i.e it would use same stats so people wouldn't just min max buy cheapest armour in each type then try get the heaviest in each type for themself)

3. Your ticket count x50(or any number really) is how much gold each merc has to use on their own gear, for example you have 1000troops = 50k gold, if someone has a Heavy Kuyak that means they can use it 6times before they don't have enough gold left to use it anymore, someone with transitional would be able to use it twice ect.

My ideas are probably pretty bad but I mainly just wanted to post to say how I think it needs some limits rather than just "get +3 armoured horse and plate, proceed to get 10:1 kdrs every battle" but i'm sure a good solution can be found since it's a cool idea.

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2012, 10:48:31 am »
They need to be rare(drop/break/loose chances), to be able to be traded and someone who wants to use his own stuff needs to pay for it either with his own gold or strategus tickets or renown or a combination of those. implementing another indicator like Idle mentioned possible but i'd rather see the existing once put to better use.
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline Loki

• Count
  • Renown: 228
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
  • I don't know karate, but I know crazy.
    • View Profile
    • The Fallen Brigade
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Loki
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2012, 12:09:36 pm »
+1
What I would consider fun in this is that it's a separate trading game for the players. The persistant items would probably never be many enough to skip equipment buying completely. However, the fact that you will get random items mean that you have to trade with others to achieve what you want. And this could be interesting, might lead to players being more active as individuals, and help with the long term fun for individuals.

It might even increase the strat experience as a whole, blackmailing for items, etc etc.

Remove the current heirloom system, add random heirloomed items in strategus that you can then use in c-rpg and trade them using the current system. This would get more people interested in strat but not ruin it.