Author Topic: Suggestion: permanent gear  (Read 2627 times)

Offline Haboe

• King
  • Renown: 1090
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Born with a shield on my back. Difficult birth.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Haboe
Suggestion: permanent gear
« on: December 12, 2012, 10:55:39 pm »
+1
You gain gear (by buying, trading, finding or whatever) and you can always keep it, never lose.
It will be hard to obtain, and you cannot transfer it to other players.

Result: military power will be depending on tickets, and player effort on gaining himself gear. A faction with 30 members will be twice as strong as a faction of 15 members. (currently a 30 man faction will have more fiefs, more gold more gear more tickets, so will be more then twice as strong, taking that they are both as active and skilled).

I just thought of it, didn't think it through myself yet, but posted anyway to see what y'all think about it.
Will it make strat more balanced, more fun or more fair to smaller factions?

Discuss
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Segd

• Marshall
  • Renown: 845
  • Infamy: 88
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion: permanent gear
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 08:33:12 am »
It would be nice to always have my mw arbalest, but it will also fucks the entire strat system :(

but at least there would be no more whining about equip :)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 09:51:22 am by Segd »

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 09:35:42 am »
+3
Not entirely uninteresting.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 09:45:23 am »
Wouldn't that mean that you run around after a battle with equipment for 1000 men and only having tickets for 1? How is the moving speed then? Does equipment still count as weight? Or is equipment growing automatic with every soldier tick you gain?
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline BASNAK

• King
  • Renown: 1349
  • Infamy: 170
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MolonLave_Garlic
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 09:46:44 am »
+5
A 60 man faction will be double as strong as a 30 man faction, and a 120 man faction will be double as strong as the 60 man faction. Resulting in people grinding more members?

What this game needs is more smaller factions, not fewer factions with more players.

Offline Noctivagant

• Earl
  • Renown: 470
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player
  • I solve practical problems
    • View Profile
    • I never drank a six pack of warm beer
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 12:19:13 pm »
+2
A faction with 30 members will be twice as strong as a faction of 15 members

No, this is what we exactly stand against anyway. 2x150 member faction alliance = eternal domination

Offline Pentecost

• Earl
  • Renown: 313
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 12:38:52 pm »
+1
I like the current system much more than the crafting business in Strat 3, but I wouldn't be opposed to a mechanic that would allow you to acquire permanent, non-tradable gear for only your own character.

The main gripe I have with how acquiring gear in Strategus currently works is that it's centered around armies rather than individuals. If I want to use the weapons and armor I like in normal cRPG and not be stuck with some Kuyak clownsuit and an axe that I've never used before, I need to acquire a fief, hold it, and then spend weeks or months of production points improving those items. This is virtually impossible to accomplish without joining some mega alliance or becoming the vassal of a superpower faction.

How I see something like this could be implemented: Allow people to buy, improve, and repair permanent gear for their character only with Strategus Ticks from the weapons window while on the world map. Improvement and repair cost would be proportional to the cost of the item, and repair frequency would be a direct function of how heavily the gear has been used in a battle.

So if you died 27 times and only used your Lordly Archon's Armor and Mighty Mace on four of those deaths, then it should lose 1 heirloom level. If you died 27 times and used your Lordly Milanese Plate and Masterwork Danish Greatsword on all 27 deaths, then it should lose 4 or 5 heirloom levels. If you died 27 times and did not use your own gear at all, then it should lose no heirloom levels and cost you nothing.

Offline Segd

• Marshall
  • Renown: 845
  • Infamy: 88
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 12:52:20 pm »
+12
I like the Dota 2 system:
After each battle you could randomly get an permanent item. Some items are common, some rare(lite crossbow, arbalest).
You could also trade items that you don't use.

Using this system on Strat:
Ppl will play a lot more battles(if every 100vs100 could give you your precious mw cudgel). No more roster problems.
Even fighting for the peasant army won't be so boring & spawnrapy as it is now when you will have your favorite turban great long axe.
Did you get cudgel? Get\trade second one & make Commoner's cudgel! Collect 4 for Elder's cudgel!

Also % of drop could be slightly based upon you performance

This system won't hurt current Stat economics since items would be rare & won't make huge impact to the battle results, but will bring more interest to the Strategus.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 01:00:20 pm by Segd »

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 03:08:51 pm »
If we would go into this direction then perhaps allow the cRPG gear we have loomed for ourselves to be used within strategus as alternative.
Either use your own gear or the gear provided by the party engaged in a battle.
If you use your own gear from cRPG, as you there get time based strategus tickets, you use them up also timebased in strategus battles by using cRPG equipment, while still using strat ticks also for recruiting troops.

Now either the party provides gear, or if not the player can decide to use his own gear to the cost also to his own strategus tickets.
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 03:11:03 pm »
+8
I must say I like Segd's idea. Sounds fun. And might really help with battle attendance.

Offline Haboe

• King
  • Renown: 1090
  • Infamy: 331
  • Born with a shield on my back. Difficult birth.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Merc_Haboe
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 03:17:22 pm »
A 60 man faction will be double as strong as a 30 man faction, and a 120 man faction will be double as strong as the 60 man faction. Resulting in people grinding more members?

What this game needs is more smaller factions, not fewer factions with more players.

I think that new system will make the situation better.
As the current system encourages big clans to pile up equipment, and the small clans have no chance vs that gear. If your equipment is based on your own effort only, a player from a 5 man clan can have an army as strong as a player of a 100 man faction.

I haven't though this system through yet, so will likely have big holes in it, but thougth it might be interesting ;)

Therefore:
Wouldn't that mean that you run around after a battle with equipment for 1000 men and only having tickets for 1? How is the moving speed then? Does equipment still count as weight? Or is equipment growing automatic with every soldier tick you gain?

No idea yet, think no weight could be a solution

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 04:52:11 pm »
(click to show/hide)
I guess you think this to have it plus the ordinary stacked/bought equipment bought?
Permanent gear also would then mean that you can use it with every spawn without loosing fear of running out of it?
If this is combined with also buying gear, the equipment bug which appears when you have a shitload of different item stacks needs to be resolved first, so you would always be able to choose it.

@chadz, having to organize your equipment, making gold to buy it and then taking care of organizing the purchases, is quite time demanding but not a bad thing, if the way of purchase would be a bit streamlined.  A settings tab, where you would choose the gear you would want to equip by default for your complete faction(or as single player too) which then allows you also to set a loom lvl. Then when entering a fief and you go onto the Purchase tab for gear you only get a selection to choose from the gear you actually want to equip. By that then equiping armies would be speed up a lot. Also the transferring of stuff from one guy to another with 2 columns, where you would be able to switch positions between 2 guys instantly without the need to wait till the other one would be online(*sigh* i know the problems involved there) so that someone could really make the equipment for someone else.
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline Tomas

• Marshall
  • Renown: 718
  • Infamy: 217
    • View Profile
    • Fallen Brigade Website
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Tomas
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 05:59:32 pm »
Equipment buying should work like the free equip.

You pick the items and the percentages you want and then when you start a battle the correct number of each item appears just for that fight.  Your troop upkeep should then scale according to the average level of equip you are using.

Only siege equipment should have to be bought and you can tie it into Fiefs using an upgrade system. E.g. you can only upgrade to or increase your percentage of +3 Heraldic Mail in a fief that makes +3 Heraldic Mail.

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 07:32:35 pm »
I must say I like Segd's idea. Sounds fun. And might really help with battle attendance.

+
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline KingBread

• Earl
  • Renown: 445
  • Infamy: 42
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: KingBread
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 10:27:07 pm »