Author Topic: The Final Solution to the Archer Issue  (Read 3863 times)

Offline Baron_Settmour

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: ISIS_Sterling_Archer, Fallen_Ragnvaldr
  • IRC nick: Varangian
The Final Solution to the Archer Issue
« on: April 24, 2011, 11:04:44 pm »
I really do hate to complain but I'm noticing more and more that this game is just devolving into an arrow spam fest. I was just playing on the NA Siege server where I noticed that out of the 68 players on the server, 42 of them were archers/crossbowmen. That leaves only 26 people using other weapons and I guarantee you that at least 1/3 of that number are hybrid archers/crossbowmen as well.

You all know the complaints. On defense, they never help. On offense, they team wound like mad. Therefore, I think there needs to be a limit to the amount of bows used on a server if possible. I only hope the rumors of this next patch killing hybrids is true. We will see far fewer people strumming bows knowing that they won't have a polearm/2H/sword & shield to whip out in melee.

Any other suggestions are welcome. I'm serious when I say I think this is a problem because how can we even enjoy the game when melee has become obsolete to a storm of arrows?

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Re: The Final Solution to the Archer Issue
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 11:13:47 pm »
Great, so when I use my archer who is near useless in melee, I can't use my weapon because some dedicated 2Her is wielding an xbow as a sidearm?

I would be for something like this only if it first made a priority of highest wpf to lowest for any range consideration (but then low levels get screwed). Even then I am not so sure I am comfortable with this idea.

As for siege, it mainly works for defenders to carry range as fortifications are more for archery then melee, though in battle I do see this range spam as a problem.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 11:15:19 pm by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Baron_Settmour

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ISIS_Sterling_Archer, Fallen_Ragnvaldr
  • IRC nick: Varangian
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 11:17:46 pm »
Great, so when I sue my archer who is near useless in melee, I can't use my weapon because some dedicated 2Her is wielding an xbow as a sidearm?

I would be for something like this only if it first made a priority of highest wpf to lowest for any range consideration (but then low levels get screwed). Even then I am not so sure I am comfortable with this idea.

I don't think a 2Her should be able to use a crossbow as a sidearm either. The reason that people specialized in the middle ages was because, just like today, Rambo is something of stories and not reality. But in C-RPG, we have far too many Rambos who want to have a crossbow, 2Her, and throwing lances on one character.

Perhaps adjusting it so that you MUST have a high WPF to use a bow and crossbow effectively. Otherwise your shots will be ridiculously off 9 times out of 10. As it stands now? I use a polearm but I can pick up any crossbow on the battlefield and shoot an archer with my 0 WPF in crossbow better than he can shoot me with his 130+ wpf in archery or crossbow. How is that fair?

Offline nuffen

• Baron
  • Renown: 113
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Nuffen Fallen_Lilith Fallen_Little_Nuff
  • IRC nick: nuffen
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 11:35:11 pm »
I really do hate to complain but I'm noticing more and more that this game is just devolving into an arrow spam fest. I was just playing on the NA Siege server where I noticed that out of the 68 players on the server, 42 of them were archers/crossbowmen. That leaves only 26 people using other weapons and I guarantee you that at least 1/3 of that number are hybrid archers/crossbowmen as well.

Hi
How did you find out that 42 of em were archers/crossbowmen? How do you differ between hybrids and pure rangers? What is a crossbowman and what is a 2hspammer with xbow on his back?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline DarkFox

• Knight
  • Renown: 42
  • Infamy: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 11:37:21 pm »
I was just playing on the NA Siege server where I noticed that out of the 68 players on the server, 42 of them were archers/crossbowmen
And whats the problem?The main reason people whine about ranged because most of infatry right now dont have shields.I can understand if there is 90% ranged everyday on servers like in native,but crpg is quite balanced(except few issues,but I think slot system will solve this problem),and I assure you that 5 shielders will kill 10 archers without any problem.Sometimes there is a big amount of infanty in team,sometimes ranged,sometimes cav.Every class have right to exist.The main problem is this damned camping tactic on battles.In clan wars camping always lead to losing,because enemy will take better position to reach ''master of the field'' flag.But in simple battles people want just to have fun,they dont want to wait.If ''master of the field'' will appear faster it will solve many problems,including archer camping.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 11:40:55 pm by DarkFox »

Offline tankmen

• Knight
  • Renown: 65
  • Infamy: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 11:43:21 pm »
how do you know if that is a crossbow side arm? what if he has 120 wpf in it?? hey WTF THAT ARCHER HAS 1 WPF  hes using a great sword thats not fair..... or a war spear and as fast as me with it... just wait for slot system, then those archers will be using 1her's and those 2her will be using normal crossbow which do shit damage, problem solved
The purpose of wearing plate has become nothing more than crippling yourself to look like a knight... or maybe its my lack of athletics

Offline Adam_Bomb

• Knight
  • Renown: 54
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Im_With_Stupid, Someones_Alt
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 11:52:02 pm »
Wow, not only do the anti-ranged folks here already seem over harsh, but now they're even using chocolate chip cookie terminology.  Calm down there einstein, the slot patch will already gimp ranged hugely.  No need to limit their numbers even more.
I don't know how you can watch with_stupid, every time i see him play i want to put infants in a blender.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 11:54:19 pm »
Wow, not only do the anti-ranged folks here already seem over harsh, but now they're even using chocolate chip cookie terminology.  Calm down there einstein, the slot patch will already gimp ranged hugely.  No need to limit their numbers even more.

were was this terminology? I must have missed it...
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 11:55:56 pm »
and I assure you that 5 shielders will kill 10 archers without any problem.

FALSE

With similar skill, any number n of archers fighting at most n-1 melee will win.

The main problem is this damned camping tactic on battles.

And why do you think people camp ???

They do not want to be shot dead right after they spawned. A pure melee is completly helpless during at least the first two minutes of a round, having to find somewhere to hide, waiting for the ranged spam to calm down.

Offline Adam_Bomb

• Knight
  • Renown: 54
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Im_With_Stupid, Someones_Alt
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 11:58:15 pm »
were was this terminology? I must have missed it...

Sorry, was a bit of a joke there.. einstein's "Final Solution" for his "Jewish problem". Didn't think it was a obscure reference.
I don't know how you can watch with_stupid, every time i see him play i want to put infants in a blender.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 11:59:11 pm »
Sorry, was a bit of a joke there.. einstein's "Final Solution" for his "Jewish problem". Didn't think it was a obscure reference.

The Risen server has found it actually...

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 11:59:57 pm »

I um... oh, I see now. I just was thinking of other "Final Solution" references so it never crossed my mind.  :oops:

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 12:03:36 am »
There isn't an archer issue, honestly. Well, at least to those of us who remember how they used to be. It may seem to be ridiculous when you're running around in a gambeson with no shield and no IF, but that's your mistake.

With a shield or heavy armour, it's fine. The only time it's a real issue is when archers coordinate crossfires, and hey, I don't know about you but I like seeing people coordinate.

Offline DarkFox

• Knight
  • Renown: 42
  • Infamy: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 12:07:06 am »
And why do you think people camp ???

They do not want to be shot dead right after they spawned. A pure melee is completly helpless during at least the first two minutes of a round, having to find somewhere to hide, waiting for the ranged spam to calm down.
And thats the problem.

Offline Goretooth

• Duke
  • Renown: 634
  • Infamy: 237
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 12:22:05 am »
Can i complain about getting focus fired at?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Braeden - Clanless maybe? or Free Peasant not sure - Rarely plays, plus might be retarded
Tydeus - Nord EU Scum - Hates adminning