Author Topic: What shield to loom?  (Read 2490 times)

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
Re: What shield to loom?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 09:59:42 pm »
I have found in general a +3 shield vs normal is worth about 1 shield skill.

5 skill with a +3 huscarl should be  overkill tho. I used one for a while when I was newer and eventually realized it was way too much shield and not necessary.

So try a heavy round shield with 6 skill it would be basically the equivalent of 5 skill with a +3. If it's ok you can work towards that.

Shielding takes a while to gain the timing and knowledge of swing speed/mechanics before you are able to really be aggressive but when you do you will find your shield breaking less and less. My +3 heavy round, 5 skill rarely breaks unless I have been alive for a long time and in heavy fighting, and by the time it is in splinters there's plenty on ground to scavange.

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 10:47:57 pm »
+1
Yeah, my +3 elite cav shield very rarely breaks unless going up against an axe and I am in a position where I can't put the shield away.

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 10:57:28 pm »
+1
If your problem is the round shield breaking quickly, get a heavy round shield or heavy kite shield and suck up the loss of speed. Here's my opinion on a few other shields though!

The round buckler should only be used if you will benefit from it costing 0 slots. Archers, arbalesters, and pike/1h/shield are those who need the extra slot.

Elite cav and knightly heater shield are fast with decent coverage. They can take quite a few hits, but a high PS build will break them even without an axe.

If you want the shield mostly to block ranged I recommend the board shield or kite shield. Those arrows won't even hit the bottom of your feet!

As cavalry (1h OR pole) I have always liked the heavy kite shield over the elite cav. Its length can protect your horse from dieing 5 seconds into a battle.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2012, 11:01:13 pm »
If your problem is the round shield breaking quickly, get a heavy round shield or heavy kite shield and suck up the loss of speed. Here's my opinion on a few other shields though!

The round buckler should only be used if you will benefit from it costing 0 slots. Archers, arbalesters, and pike/1h/shield are those who need the extra slot.

Elite cav and knightly heater shield are fast with decent coverage. They can take quite a few hits, but a high PS build will break them even without an axe.

If you want the shield mostly to block ranged I recommend the board shield or kite shield. Those arrows won't even hit the bottom of your feet!

As cavalry (1h OR pole) I have always liked the heavy kite shield over the elite cav. Its length can protect your horse from dieing 5 seconds into a battle.

Cav that wants a real 2h or polearm backup weapon benefit from the 0 slots as well. Also, a high agi character might want it because of its weight.

Offline Tovi

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 251
    • View Profile
  • Faction: OdE
  • Game nicks: KrisTovi
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2012, 11:18:56 pm »
Try how exactly? A loomed one? :P

And thanks for the comments and tips, it seems I block indeed too much.

YYes, loomed, of course. Try as "exchange", if your are not satisfied, you could take it back.

Offline Finse

• Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 391
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Finse, Hated
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2012, 07:25:31 pm »
+3 Elite Cavalry Shield

Requirement:4 shield
Weight:5.5
Slots:-
Upkeep:266 gold
Speed:103
Width:32
Body armor:25
Hit points:303

Offline MR_FISTA

• Baron
  • Renown: 97
  • Infamy: 81
  • Prepare your angus
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SoW
  • Game nicks: SoW_MR_FISTA_the_Retribution
  • IRC nick: SoW_MR_FISTA
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2012, 08:26:48 pm »
Either Elite Cavalry shield or heavy round shield.

Plate Covered round shield is a good choice if you have a lower shield skill, the other 2 excel at higher shield ratings.

For example with my 24/15 build I use a plate covered shield and with my 9/27 build I use the heavy round shield, both a great with their respective builds, also take into account the amount of slots they occupy also.

Offline Boerenlater

• Marshall
  • Renown: 728
  • Infamy: 204
  • cRPG Player
  • Jebem ti život!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Boerenlater
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2012, 09:29:33 pm »
After playing for a while I really started to like the plate covered. It can take many many hits and doesn't feel too slow.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2012, 04:09:40 pm »
+3
After playing for a while I really started to like the plate covered. It can take many many hits and doesn't feel too slow.

The problem with slow (<85 speed) shields is that everyone just holds their attacks against shields now, while maneuvering, hoping you drop your block or let them behind you. The best counter against these holds is to feint dropping your block, i.e. press attack, but then quickly raise shield again before the strike lands.

With a slow shield, you can't recover fast enough to block the swing, so you either have wait forever hoping a teammate attacks the guy holding attacks on you, or attempt kicks, or chambers or other risky maneuver. 87 speed (like the +3 HRS I use), is not quite fast enough to reliably feint dropping your block, although it works fine against slower weapons. I used a 90 speed for a while (+3 brown kite), and it was usually fast enough except against longswords/etc.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 10:34:13 pm by Phew »

Offline Equal

• Earl
  • Renown: 344
  • Infamy: 24
  • Secretly not gay
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Equal
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2013, 07:33:02 pm »
Brown lion heater shield if you only want 3 shield skill. 4+ and I would rock the elite cav. I have the elite cav +3'd and its great for an aggressive shielder playstyle. I only use 4 shield skill because if I'm cautious it can last the whole round on foot,  always lasts longer than my horse which is nice. I'm confident with my blocking so I use less shield skill than I used to. 5 or 6 shield will be more than enough +3'd to last a round. 

Also with the market right now, if you don't like it you can get your moneys worth back and more. :)

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2013, 07:38:39 pm »
im selling a +1 round steel buckler btw : )
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!