Author Topic: Tips for a new 2 hander?  (Read 1156 times)

Offline funybox

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Tips for a new 2 hander?
« on: December 08, 2012, 07:27:29 pm »
I am an aspiring 2 handed user, and I also have a horrendous ratio of 4 kills and 140 deaths. I am level 23 and I have 12 agility and 16 strength, so I am weak for my level. Any tips on how to overcome anything? I always get 1 hit and stuff.

Offline funybox

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Tips for a new 2 hander?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 07:32:40 pm »
+1
Here are my stats:

Attribute points:0
Strength:16
Agility:12
Weapon points:0
One Handed:63
Two Handed:73
Polearm:44
Throwing:6
Crossbow:66
Archery:56
Skill points:0
Weapon Master:4
Athletics:4
Riding:2
Iron Flesh:4
Shield:3
Horse Archery:0
Power Strike:2
Power Draw:4
Power Throw:1

Offline Arrowblood

• Duke
  • Renown: 508
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Arrowblood
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 08:25:25 pm »
+3
http://forum.meleegaming.com/beginner's-help-and-guides/solid-builds/
Respec and try one of these builds, and never ever put your weapon points into every class only 1 maximum 2.

Offline ObiWanKejoshi

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Kejoshi, ObiWanKejoshi, Speedy_Kejoshi
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 08:26:21 pm »
+3
Looking at that build, most people are probably going to recommend you to respec. Better now than even later, since it's going to cost you half of your Exp.
Just pick any build from the Solid builds thread ( http://forum.meleegaming.com/beginner%27s-help-and-guides/solid-builds/ ).
Make sure not to spread your points like that next time. If you're going to play a 2Hander, focus on Power Strike, Ironflesh, Athletics and Weapon Master and put all your Weapon points into 2H.

Edit: Deutschritter was faster  :oops:, but you get the idea, those builds are called solid for a reason.

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • Renown: 275
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Billy_Whitmore, Andre_Whitmore, Gideon_Stargrave
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 08:36:16 pm »
+1
Doesn't help that you're spec'd into every single thing imaginable. If you want to be a dedicated class then you should play with a dedicated build well over 100+ wpf. You can do the jack-of-all trades thing as melee but with 2 different categories at most, otherwise you're severely gimping yourself (I know Frug has like 105 in 1h/2h/pole and he's secretly the best NA player :lol:). Don't waste your time with the archery and cav stuff at the same time unless you want to put a little in throwing or xbow. In terms of playstyle you just have to put yourself in good situations. As a 2H, and particularly for a balanced build, you need some space so being in the dead center of a fight is a great way to get killed fast, especially by shielders. Try to float around to the edges of the fight where you can force a 1v1 or sneak some flanking kills off of people already engaged. For actual fighting technique, IMO learning how to block well and not getting fooled by feints and holds is the first step of becoming a decent player, and then it's knowing when/how to attack and when to be aggressive.

For gear I'd suggest medium armor with body armor around the 36 range where there's a lot of great options and any 30+ helm (you can go crazy here). While full plate certainly allows room for a lot of hits and mistakes, it's really just a massive money sink if you're just starting out. I bet a lot of people here will suggest that you use the Longsword/Heavy Bastard Sword/Bastard Sword but IMO short and fast 2Hers are terrible starter options. Speed is vastly overrated when compared to length and damage. Using something like the Highland Claymore or another greatsword would be your best bet. Always use weapon length to your advantage against shorter/faster weapons by playing smart and keeping your distance (however this does not translate to holding S key down the entire time and trying to block every attack). The high damage of the bigger weapons affords you to down people with less hits whereas you would have to land 1-2 additional hits with the Longsword/HBS.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Most of us are currently living off relatives, friends, parttime-jobs or savings, to be able to work as much and cheaply as possible.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 08:40:37 pm »
http://forum.meleegaming.com/beginner's-help-and-guides/solid-builds/
Respec and try one of these builds, and never ever put your weapon points into every class only 1 maximum 2.
Don't listen to Deutschritter. With 6 WM you can get 100 wpf in 3 categories. Granted, not that good with a ranged weapon (although not completely impossible), you can safely go 100 1h, 2h and pole wpf. A really fun build, but NOT a good build for beginners.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Shemaforash

• Duke
  • Renown: 533
  • Infamy: 169
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Shemaforash
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 08:43:24 pm »
+3
Are you new to the game itself or just new as a 2h? I'd recommend 21/18 for any new player.
You should be punished for having a shitty attitude.

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 07:27:28 am »
+4
Are you new to the game itself or just new as a 2h? I'd recommend 21/18 for any new player.
Level: 30
Health Points: 70
Weapon Proficiency Points: 4

Strength: 21
Agility: 18

Two Handed: 130

Ironflesh: 7
Power Strike: 7
Athletics: 6
Weapon Master: 3

+ Great sword, heraldic armor or sth like that, No Block, Only Spam and here you are, new sheriff in town  :wink:

You can also use Skip The Fun option on your alt - http://c-rpg.net/index.php?page=charskipthefun
But do not make your main char STF.

PS If you need some money send me PM.

Offline Uumdi

• Duke
  • Renown: 651
  • Infamy: 59
  • Ready to Die
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Uumdi_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: Uumdi
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 09:51:08 am »
+1
Yeah, pump your points into strength before you do your agility, so you can do damage.  If a balanced build is 18/18, you decide from there if you want more damage and hp, or you want to be more agile.  18/21,  21/18, and 24/15 are all very solid builds. 

Weaponmaster is arguably not important in a pure melee build, because at level 30, you will get 110 proficiency.  Putting 3 points in will give you 130 or so.  Putting 6 points, you'd have 156 or so.  I want to urge your to experience high wpf when learning the game, but you'll enjoy yourself a lot more with the +14 hp from having the 7 Ironflesh.

Falka laid out a perfect build for you.  I'd just recommend picking up 3 shield skill instead of 3 weaponmaster, just as a utility item you can carry to advance on ranged or protect yourself from a flanking archer.

Also, spend a little time in duel server and work on manual blocking.  It becomes second nature with some simple practice, and if you'd want someone to spar with and show you a few things, add Uumdi on steam.

Ten shots of prayers, ten shots a day
A shot of thrill to hide the pain.
They can`t win, they just don`t cry,
The troopers know they live to die.

Offline no_rules_just_play

• King
  • Renown: 1401
  • Infamy: 384
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE; Peasants United; Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: CapraAegagrusHircus_HRE; no_rules_just_play_HRE
  • IRC nick: norulesjustplay
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 12:32:00 pm »
+1
if this is your first gen, i would say you stick to only 1 class. 2h is a good option for that as it is pretty easy and feels natural when playing it. if you never played warband, i would recommend going for a 1h+shield tough.

if you want to find a good build for a specific class, just google something like 'crpg 2h build' or 'crpg 1h + shield build' you should find enough topics on this (however pick the latest topic as classes might be nerfed/buffed and they might need different builds)

the best build is the build you choose after you have tried different builds every generation and after you compared that build multiple times to other builds.

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 05:16:38 pm »
+2
Use this character planner: http://infinitum.dyndns.org/crpg/calc.htm

Play around with lvl 30 builds, and convert some skillpoints to attributes. I would convert 8 skills to attributes and go 21/18 or 18/21. You always max out PS and Athletics first (depending on max str and agi). Then decide if you want to attack a little faster (WM) or take more damage before dying (IF). I would go 21/18 with 7 IF and 3 WM personally. The difference between 3 and 6 WM is debatable but personally I like to max it if I can

So at lvl 30 you will have 21/18, 8 skills to stats, 7 IF, 7 PS, 6 ATH, 3 WM. Then put all your wpf into 2 hand. I would respec now and go to 18/15 at 24, then up to 21/18 when you can. No real rules on how you level though, up to you

Experiment with the calculator though..You can try 0WM, 24/18, 24/15, whatever. I would lean towards strength and IF as a new player though
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 05:24:10 pm by Grumbs »
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline funybox

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 09:59:01 pm »
+1
OK guys I respeced and here is my new build. I have a little in throwing and I have snagged a couple headshots with it. It helps me deal with people running backwards or archers. (I accidently put 2 in riding so ignore that)

Attribute points:0
Strength:21
Agility:6
Weapon points:0
One Handed:1
Two Handed:108
Polearm:1
Throwing:13
Crossbow:1
Archery:1
Skill points:0
Weapon Master:2
Athletics:2
Riding:2
Iron Flesh:6
Shield:2
Horse Archery:0
Power Strike:6
Power Draw:0
Power Throw:3

Offline Uumdi

• Duke
  • Renown: 651
  • Infamy: 59
  • Ready to Die
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Uumdi_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: Uumdi
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 06:05:06 am »
+2
Are you getting the message that says your Proficiency is too low in throwing?  You need 13 points for each rank of power throw, and that is before weight penalties are taken into account.

Hate to keep suggesting respecs, but you're going to want more power throw, and the proficiency to back it up.  If you want to stick it out, I can suggest rolling with this though.

21 Str / 15 Agi  at level 30.

115~ 2H
100~ Throwing

Weaponmaster: 5
Athletics: 5
Riding: 2
Ironflesh: 6
Power Strike: 6
Power Throw: 4

If you don't mind eating another respec, I think you'd have a blast with a balanced build, especially if you're going to try throwing hybrid.

18/18

120 2 Hand
120 Throwing

5 Ironflesh
6 Powersrtike
6 Athletics
6 Power Throw
6 Weaponmaster

Ten shots of prayers, ten shots a day
A shot of thrill to hide the pain.
They can`t win, they just don`t cry,
The troopers know they live to die.

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 07:47:38 am »
(click to show/hide)
I strongly adivce you to use skip the fun option which allows you to respec any time you want and try as many builds as you want. Your current build is better than previous one but still not that good. If you're going 2h/thrower hybride you don't need shield and don't even have enough slots to have it (2h swords need 2 slots and more throwing stuff = better), so you've wasted already 4 skill points (shield and riding) and have too few weapon points in throwing. You're pretty low level so respecing isn't that bad. But it's up to you ofc  :wink: Your current build is playable but won't be as effective as it could be.

Maybe you could consider posting build you're planning to make before next respec  :wink:

PS
18/18

120 2 Hand
120 Throwing

5 Ironflesh
6 Powersrtike
6 Athletics
6 Power Throw
6 Weaponmaster
This is perfect and most common build for 2h/thrower hybride.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 08:50:49 am by Falka »

Offline Ubereem

• Count
  • Renown: 197
  • Infamy: 115
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 12:03:31 pm »
Hey funnybox welcome to the party!

I would also recommend you respec now(since going from lvl 1-30 takes as long as lvl 30-31) and do the hybrid build Uumdi mentioned. Trust me you don't want to get stuck at lvl 30 with a crap build just waiting to retire.

18/18

120 2 Hand
120 Throwing

5 Ironflesh
6 Powersrtike
6 Athletics
6 Power Throw
6 Weaponmaster

This was my first build and it's good. It has good striking power, good tanking ability and will allow you to learn ranged as well as melee. With 6 athletics you will also be able to outrun most veterans as they wear heavy armor all the time. So if you don't like the situation and feel you're about to die just turn and run, find some teammates and live, live to fight another day lol.

Also if you feel like you can't make enough money to buy good equipment and repairs are too high etc etc, do not fret, as everyone's first gen was like this. After you retire simply sell your first loom point on the marketplace for 500k-ish and problem solved! Never worry about repairs/gold again:)
Jackson And No Bank