Author Topic: So, is Horse Archery Skill really Balanced?  (Read 15777 times)

Offline Cris

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Merc_Cris, Cris, TestSubject
  • IRC nick: Cris
Re: So, is Horse Archery Skill really Balanced?
« Reply #240 on: December 20, 2012, 09:39:54 pm »
+1
Well,  I know of a few guys doing quite well as HAs on high levels,   looking at corsair,  tuonella and our higher level gk friends. 
It seems to need a good playing style adjustment to counter the nerfs and staying effective,  corsair for example has a beautiful style of fast approaches and low velocity turns making him a hard target and  giving him great attack angles whilst keeping the reticule small. 
He's a dancer,  that one : )

Chris, in the end it comes down to us wanting the game to be more deadly again,  aint it? : )

I really enjoyed old deadly cRPG :) not just as HA, it felt nice and fast :D

But its also about balacing, you can do well in the scores if you horse shoot. easy valour on open maps, but thats not the point. The point is that accuracy sucks, damage sucks, skill points suck, upkeep sucks and reload speed sucks, and all of these besides upkeep suck off the horse too.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tindel

• Earl
  • Renown: 333
  • Infamy: 238
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Tindel
« Reply #241 on: December 22, 2012, 02:02:38 am »
i call bullshit, how about this

you pick a horse archer, i pick a melee guy, they go to a server that is setup just like eu_1, best of 3 rounds

if the melee guy that i picked wins 2 rounds you pay him 500k gold, if the horse archer that you picked wins 2 rounds i will pay him 500k gold, your up for a bet or will you chicken out and stop spreading your bullshit ?

what will it be Tindel?

Ok you call bullshit. I understand this part. But the rest of your post makes no fucking sense whatsoever. This will prove what? Are you a fucking child? You want our picked champions to fight to prove a point?
Is this the middle ages? Or are you just left behind in school?

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #242 on: December 23, 2012, 11:55:38 am »
Crassus now hoped that his legionaries could hold out until the Parthians ran out of arrows. However, Surena used thousands of camels to resupply his horse archers. Upon realizing this, Crassus dispatched his son Publius with 1,300 Gallic cavalry to drive off the horse archers. The horse archers retreated, and after suffering heavy casualties from arrow fire, his cavalry were confronted by the Parthian cataphracts. The horse archers outflanked the Gauls and cut off their retreat. Publius and his men were slaughtered. Crassus, unaware of his son's fate but realizing Publius was in danger, ordered a general advance. He was confronted with the sight of his son's head on a spear. The Parthian horse archers began to surround the Roman infantry, shooting at them from all directions, while the cataphracts mounted a series of charges that disorganized the Romans. The Parthian onslaught did not cease until nightfall...

this shit has touched me,  and i feel i gotta share it wherever i can.  poor sobs :'/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Carrhae#The_battle
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #243 on: December 23, 2012, 01:02:59 pm »
+1
i call bullshit, how about this

you pick a horse archer, i pick a melee guy, they go to a server that is setup just like eu_1, best of 3 rounds

if the melee guy that i picked wins 2 rounds you pay him 500k gold, if the horse archer that you picked wins 2 rounds i will pay him 500k gold, your up for a bet or will you chicken out and stop spreading your bullshit ?

what will it be Tindel?
This proves nothing due to the fact that one team can easily win while one or more players aren't contributing whatsoever.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline buba

• Count
  • Renown: 193
  • Infamy: 33
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Buba_theVagabond
« Reply #244 on: December 23, 2012, 09:39:30 pm »
+1
Why do you want to kill off this game? Its not designed for shooting while riding, it won't ever be balanced for you until it drives the main playerbase away to other games

/troll.

Really though, please don't buff HA. Its already way too much of a ranged fest

Actually for me it was the reason to play a game that's called MOUNT and blade.

Its the only game that does decent mounted combat both with all kinds of hand weapons and ranged.
All three should be in and balanced as best as it can be, so melee, ranged, and their mounted counter parts.

If you think this game is only about inf, which alot more people think it is.
Then why is the game called mount and blade, and not foot and blade?

Offline Azlanek

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • The post is over to the left
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Khagataz, Azlanek
« Reply #245 on: December 27, 2012, 01:01:15 pm »
Feet and blade  :lol:

Now that'd be funny to see in the game's front cover... especially the picture...

I'm not really sure about balancing HA skill. I still find them pretty annoying if the HA is good.
The post is up there

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #246 on: December 27, 2012, 01:53:56 pm »
+4
Mount and Blade. You have an army that you recruit, arm, and (theoretically) balance for a battle. It isn't about individual classes.

Multiplayer. Players tend to think only about what they can do as a solo fighter. They forget about the multi part and that they even have a team.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Nordwolf

• Earl
  • Renown: 492
  • Infamy: 46
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Nordwolf, 4 other Nordwolfs, Wolf_in_the_Van Victory, Earngrim, Core, Farewell, Akaio_BlackSpear +**
« Reply #247 on: December 27, 2012, 01:55:30 pm »
+1
Horse archers are basically ultimate kiting archers, which were so much hated and kiting archers on foot were removed.

I think you can do pretty well as HA right now, only thing is that it gets effective only on level 30+, but is it that hard to make it there?

My point is that HA is definetly not underpowered, just look at the possibilities: noone without ranged weapons can do anything to you, you can even bump-shoot shielder (I'd say this is freaky mechanic).

I personally have got a 30lvl 18/21 alt (Victory is a nickname) which has got the same reticle as in this "accuracy" build while riding an arabian on full speed, and I'd say it's just enough. You won't go snipering with HA, would you? Of course not. If you want better reticle - slow down a bit, it's perfectly valid and realistic.

Courser is definetly not a HA horse, but it is HX horse...

Here's a screen of reticle:
(click to show/hide)
And here's what it scores - not a lot of kill, but a lot of score! HA is not useless, but definetely annoying.
(click to show/hide)
^^^ - the reason, why people always say "HA k/d ratio on website is so bad"
lol

Also HA vs HX - HA wins in most cases.

They are not bad, IMO, they are just kiters.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 01:59:08 pm by Nordwolf »

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2453
  • Infamy: 1774
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 27, 2012, 02:22:58 pm »
+2
I agree, right now HA is in better position than foot archers. Simply because they don't feel arrow weight on themselves because they are mounted. Precision for mobility, fair trade-off imo.

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #249 on: December 28, 2012, 08:33:49 am »
+1
Feet and blade  :lol:

Now that'd be funny to see in the game's front cover... especially the picture...

I'm not really sure about balancing HA skill. I still find them pretty annoying if the HA is good.

Offline Tindel

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 28, 2012, 11:48:04 am »
The game is called CRPG(beta),  not mount and blade.

Offline Azlanek

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • The post is over to the left
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Khagataz, Azlanek
« Reply #251 on: December 28, 2012, 01:50:35 pm »
 :rolleyes:

Alright, that might be so if we get really literal. But the core game is still Mount & Blade.
The post is up there

Offline Cris

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 23
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Merc_Cris, Cris, TestSubject
  • IRC nick: Cris
« Reply #252 on: December 28, 2012, 11:58:09 pm »
Horse archers are basically ultimate kiting archers, which were so much hated and kiting archers on foot were removed.

I think you can do pretty well as HA right now, only thing is that it gets effective only on level 30+, but is it that hard to make it there?

My point is that HA is definetly not underpowered, just look at the possibilities: noone without ranged weapons can do anything to you, you can even bump-shoot shielder (I'd say this is freaky mechanic).

I personally have got a 30lvl 18/21 alt (Victory is a nickname) which has got the same reticle as in this "accuracy" build while riding an arabian on full speed, and I'd say it's just enough. You won't go snipering with HA, would you? Of course not. If you want better reticle - slow down a bit, it's perfectly valid and realistic.

Courser is definetly not a HA horse, but it is HX horse...

Here's a screen of reticle:
(click to show/hide)
And here's what it scores - not a lot of kill, but a lot of score! HA is not useless, but definetely annoying.
(click to show/hide)
^^^ - the reason, why people always say "HA k/d ratio on website is so bad"
lol

Also HA vs HX - HA wins in most cases.

They are not bad, IMO, they are just kiters.

I'm on of the oldest HAs in game, i'll tell you know that if you can ride (note, there is n little amount of people that can really ride properly), a champion courser with 7+ riding is the horse to go for. HA dont just fight infantry, also other horsemen. Catching up is useful and well as getting away from other chasing cav and archers (bows can block)

Obviously all HA slow down a bit to shoot infantry at some points, the video is just for representing reticule size at speed, as the whole thread is for the HA skill, which comes into play at speed.

If you put a good HA playing as HX (once the HA gets used to shot speed), HX will win, all the time, more damage, decend retitucle (more HA points possible) no PD and less strength requirements. With MW crossbow and good wpp reload is not bad at all, specially when considering the amount of times a HA reload just to get the reticule at a good size for a shot.

Also, scoring points for the sake of scoring points it is easy, just shoot horses and random arrows at people. That's not the point though.

___

Leshma, on a security point of view horse archers are safer than archers. But the damage is far far inferior, accuracy is horrible and the most important of all for this thread, penalized even when off the horse due to the -10wwp per HA point penalty.

So horse archers right now for a safer play style which not not guaranteed as horses get shot and HA has no defense and any good archer can shoot you pay:

-The need of a horrible grind to usefulness
-Pay much higher upkeep
-Get horrible accuracy even though you are paying precious skill points for a skill that is supposed to make you accurate
-Get penalized on foot, even if you spawn with no horse for choosing to spend skill points on HA skills (and riding along with it) -

Now let's not get me talking about speed bonus not applied to arrows you shoot, but applied to arrows hitting you... Extremely frustrating when chasing cav at the same speed (equivalent to standing still) but doing no damage.

If you take a 15/24 build at level 30 as a foot archer you get enough athletics to outrun most melee and 5PS to actually be very useful at melee if you can fight...

Getting rid of the penalty will make little difference to the reticule at most speeds... When standing still a HA is no different to you than an archer on a roof or behind enemy lines, or with high athletics for that matter...

Only that for the price of using a horse and shooting when moving, right now HA are penalized when doing everything else.

Cris.

Ps. Also, at speed, you can miss a horseman who is directly in-front of you with your horse's head kissing his horse ass... Seems balanced? I don't think so.

Ps2- The last couple of weeks ive been doing stf with str builds as pole and 2h (usually 30/12 with 4ath and 3wm) with good armour and wepaon and LOL, that is OP. Not only you on hit most, it takes many many arrows to kill you. And you are not slow... no trade off there for super human strength... Maybe one day i'll do a proper alt 30/15 to play something OP for a change and cry on the forum cos people can shoot me :P (no of fence intended to any particular player)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 12:48:26 am by Cris »

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 29, 2012, 12:06:18 am »
The game is called CRPG(beta),  not mount and blade.

cRPG is not the game but the mod. The game is called Mount & Blade : Warband, not mount and blade. The mod is called cRPG, not CRPG(beta). Also, you left two spaces behind your comma.

Finally, discussing the name of whatever to try to justify anything is 100% pointless.

Offline Tindel

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 29, 2012, 02:35:38 am »
Im sure the devs and community in beta counterstrike cared alot about half-life when they discussed game balance and development.
AFTER ALL IT IS A HALF-LIFE GAME RIGHT? CS IS JUST A MOD!

Stop using the title of another game(mount and blade) as an argument in a thread about crpg.