Author Topic: The winter of my discontent  (Read 1815 times)

Offline problemsir

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Doors are the bane of my existence
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Catapults
  • Game nicks: Main:Problemsir_of_Catapultia ALT: Rondel, building_a_catapult
The winter of my discontent
« on: November 29, 2012, 06:09:31 am »
+3
http://forum.meleegaming.com/general-discussion/the-root-of-all-misery-in-crpg/
http://forum.meleegaming.com/general-discussion/what-crpg-needs-(imho)-yet-another-emotional-principle-discussion/
http://forum.meleegaming.com/suggestions-corner/how-to-make-archery-more-fun-for-everyone/msg588659/#msg588659
 and the infamous http://forum.meleegaming.com/general-discussion/save-crpg!-nerf-ranged/

I have been lurking this forum for a while now, restraining myself from making too many remarks and embarrassing complaints. While I don't think I can make too much of an impact on what the developers want to do with this game, I still want to try. (Btw, sorry if this belongs in the suggestion corner.)

Archery. One of the only things on people's minds when they think about balance. This one class has been the "root of all misery" recently, what with kiting, and the recent archery nerfs. What I'm trying to do with this thread, is sort out every single GOOD idea from the bad ones, using every balance-related thread I can fish up. I'll get to the point. Kiting, how do we fix it? It certainly wasn't fixed in the latest patch. I've sifted through a couple suggestions made in other threads, and it seems to me that everyone seems to be okay with the idea that archers shouldnt be able to move quickly with their bow. Along with this nerf though, archers should gain more power, so that they dont go QQing because they cant kite anymore, which I'm sure they would do. Archer's melee should also be buffed, so that archers actually have the option to turn around and fight instead of gay kiting.

Other sources of discontent

Upkeep: While others may see problems with this system, I do not. Some may argue that this system restricts certain item builds and makes them unbalanced when they are actually used. Removing upkeep is not the answer, it would be unreasonable for new players as they would constantly be fighting fully armour tincans or horn/longbow archers.

Higher level cap (increased game speed): We all know that crpg is slow. This is probably one of the most viable ways of increasing game speed. While this would also make the game somewhat unreasonable for new players, they would but need to play only somewhat to stand a chance. This would also be a chance to see some interesting hybrids.

Team Balancing: This is an obvious problem. I have found myself constantly on the recieving end of a 100% unbalanced team. Not only that, but the current balancing system is fucking bullshit in and of itself. Numerous times my friend and I(BFU_adriana/Dommie), have found eachother teamswitched, and the result of the teamswitch was the EXACT SAME TEAMS BEFORE THE TEAMSWITCH. this is preposterous.

Well, that was my short rant on the current going-ons of Crpg.

(click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 02:04:27 am by problemsir »
I will live forever, or die trying.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Re: The winter of my discontent
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 06:31:38 am »
+5
Seems like a good post, but there is no chance of people agreeing on how to fix issues such as kiting.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Kelugarn

• Marshall
  • Renown: 936
  • Infamy: 79
  • #̪͎̳̭̰͓͙ͯ͗̇͘ͅͅ1̢ͨ̈̆̓ͮ͐̌͏̪̦͓̣ ̽̇ͫ҉̸͕̻͙͖̮̹ͅN̡̥̭͖͙ͮ͊͡
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Peasants of Fisdnar
  • Game nicks: Froyo The Wizard
  • IRC nick: #FreeArys2012
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 06:34:20 am »
+4
Revert all nerfs.
Buff everything back to the most OP state it was in and then buff it some more. If you want to stay alive rely on skill, not balance.

Add style points.

Offline Artyem

• King
  • Renown: 1218
  • Infamy: 264
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • SODOM Shaman
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul / Raven / SODOMY
  • Game nicks: Artyem
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 06:37:14 am »
+3
Interesting post, however:

Upkeep is basically useless now, considering how easy it is to make 400 - 500k off the marketplace with a single heirloom point, and I know a number of people who wanted to get into this mod but can't stand the number of full plate tin cans that they need to face down at level 1.  So yes, upkeep is indeed an issue in the sense that it's pretty much completely unneeded now.  It just gives newer players difficulty trying to keep good gear until level 31.

A higher level cap would be neat, but they would need to add initiative to go past level, say, 33 (retiring at level 33 = adkfajweklgjaklwjhkasdjg) aside from going "HAVE MORE HEIRLOOM POINTS".

Team balance is pretty fucking weird, I'm not going to lie.  More often than not I see completely useless, ineffective, horrible team switches that usually just stack one thing or another on one team, leaving the other to get massacred (hence the title "auto-stacker").

Seems like a good post, but there is no chance of people agreeing on how to fix issues such as kiting.

And yeah, this ^.

Sordida asinum latronibus sumus

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 07:00:23 am »
Kiters gonna kite!

Offline problemsir

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • Infamy: 3
  • Doors are the bane of my existence
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Catapults
  • Game nicks: Main:Problemsir_of_Catapultia ALT: Rondel, building_a_catapult
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 07:09:49 am »
A higher level cap would be neat, but they would need to add initiative to go past level, say, 33 (retiring at level 33 = adkfajweklgjaklwjhkasdjg) aside from going "HAVE MORE HEIRLOOM POINTS".

What I meant by a higher level cap was make it easier to level up in the beginning and late stages and, well, raise the cap.
I will live forever, or die trying.

Offline Berserkadin

• Duke
  • Renown: 592
  • Infamy: 145
    • View Profile
  • Faction: -
  • Game nicks: Krewl_The_Urist_Fox
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 11:49:27 pm »
Stupid to nerf ranged, best thing to do would be to INCREASE THE FUCKEN SPEED!!! So melee combat is fast and exciting, and you actually can kill someone in matters of seconds instead of minutes. Instead of being picked of by archers and cav while you try to fight in slo-mo. Would be fun to see the old stats on weapons before the devs of this mod went FULL RETARD.

Offline Haboe

• King
  • Renown: 1090
  • Infamy: 331
  • Born with a shield on my back. Difficult birth.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Haboe
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 12:02:15 am »
(click to show/hide)

ToD, fix your avatar!

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 12:12:12 am »
ToD, fix your avatar!

Should be fixed! <3
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 12:23:59 am »
+1
Kiters gonna kite!

You got that right!

"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Haboe

• King
  • Renown: 1090
  • Infamy: 331
  • Born with a shield on my back. Difficult birth.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Haboe
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 12:42:19 am »
+1

Should be fixed! <3

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
  • Renown: 983
  • Infamy: 200
  • If you run, you will only die tired...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 01:11:58 pm »
1) Upkeep is basically useless now, considering how easy it is to make 400 - 500k off the marketplace with a single heirloom point, and I know a number of people who wanted to get into this mod but can't stand the number of full plate tin cans that they need to face down at level 1.  So yes, upkeep is indeed an issue in the sense that it's pretty much completely unneeded now.  It just gives newer players difficulty trying to keep good gear until level 31.

2) A higher level cap would be neat, but they would need to add initiative to go past level, say, 33 (retiring at level 33 = adkfajweklgjaklwjhkasdjg) aside from going "HAVE MORE HEIRLOOM POINTS".

3) Team balance is pretty fucking weird, I'm not going to lie.  More often than not I see completely useless, ineffective, horrible team switches that usually just stack one thing or another on one team, leaving the other to get massacred (hence the title "auto-stacker").
1) - upkeep could be brought back to life by removing marketplace and adding the "loompoint reassign option". It would allow to reassign your loompoints (something like loom respec). It would have cooldown of like 3 weeks or something so people don't spam with stupid items. It is strange that before you make something masterkworked, it usually gets nerfed and nobody wants it anymore (you neither), so loompoint reassigning could repair the nerf&looms like the famous one with Mighty Long Voulge etc. Also people would be able to try different classes without the risk of disliking it and having the previous items gone. It's hard to try some classes where loompoints mean a lot like cav, archer, crossbowman, not to mention horse archer...

The thing is that it would have to be done "like a ninja" so people don't buy a lot of shit just to get more loompoints later. Or would require total Loom&Gold-wipe and new loompoints and gold could be handed out with the formula like    loompoints=ur_gen-1   and    gold=(gen-1)*30k,   (those forumlas are just quick calculations and I haven't been thinking much about them so it could turn into strange thing. Maybe adding gold-cap to the gold that player would receive would be good idea ]

2) - I guess that it would be enough if current level 31 was replaced with 33 so you would need these 8,735,843exp to get to level 33 and the levels 29, 30, 31, 32 could be grouped a bit more so leveling from lvl 32-33 would be like 2mln exp not 4mln and retire at new 33 wouldn't be rewarded more than current retire at level 31. According to this, players with currently level 33 would be level 35 in new system. It's just about placing more stops on the way. Example:
                                                                                                                             |
                                                                                           old (current) system  V
x y   z                      28     29            30                                                  31                                                                                     32
| | | |  |   |    |     |     |        |               |                                                     |                                                                                         |
| | | |  |   |    |     |     |        |             |            |                 |                        |                                                                                         |
                               28     29          30          31             32                      33                                                                                      34
                                                                                            new system ^

3) Team Balance of 40 vs 40 isn't easy man... it can be completely random. I remember 1 example when Chase was in the winning team and scored like 15 kills and 0 deaths in first two rounds. Then he got switched and in next 2 rounds he scored 1 kill and 2 deaths so the losing team was still losing and balance didn't change anything.

On the other hand, sometimes it's completely different. Sometimes 1 team is winning for 3 rounds and then other team keeps winning for 3 rounds in the row and in the end of the map it's 3-3. It happens quite often to be honest.

Anyway, removing banner balance or making class>clan balance might not help either. There are loads of shitty cav that can be all dismounted by 1 good cav in the opposite team or 10 weak archers that could be replaced with 1 bagge in the other team.
player=/=player  =>  10players=//=10players. It's quality of players and backstabbing/teamwork/gangbang that win rounds.

Bannerbalance at least allows you to play with your friends and then when you are losing/winning, it's not that important anymore. (To be honest teambalance wouldn't be so important if the multi system didn't require you to win to develop your character. Leveling at x1 is nothing when compared to lvling at x5)

YES THIS IS A LONG-ASS POST
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 01:25:59 pm by BlueKnight »

Skyrim UI

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 01:13:54 pm »
cool Bibles there bros, hope somebody reads it  :wink:
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
  • Renown: 983
  • Infamy: 200
  • If you run, you will only die tired...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 01:18:42 pm »
cool Bibles there bros, hope somebody reads it  :wink:
I will make the font smaller so people think there is less text  :D

Skyrim UI

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 01:43:16 pm »
I will make the font smaller so people think there is less text  :D

Kinda works.  :o

Also remove exp increase per gen, makes it way too painful for gen 1 people (new players) to get to their first loompoint, while gen 16 people can grind it out super fast in comparison. Instead add more multipliers or just increase exp per tick to something like an gen8 would get..
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA