Author Topic: Sprint Ability For Pure Melee Builds  (Read 1222 times)

Offline Ad1no

• Count
  • Renown: 165
  • Infamy: 284
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Of The Codex
  • Game nicks: The_Sosarian_Knight
  • IRC nick: Sosarian
Sprint Ability For Pure Melee Builds
« on: November 28, 2012, 12:40:23 am »
+2
Give archers native archery for all I care. But let us sprint them down like the dogs they are and end this kiting bullshit!

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
Re: Sprint Ability For Pure Melee Builds
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 01:10:02 am »
+7
There's already a small sprint mechanic built in (run for x seconds without performing action/having action performed on you and you move faster).

If you were asking for this to be added and had a build similar to mine (18/24) where you already have a lot of athletics, more/the same as the archers who are running this suggestion might be more well accepted, but it's just hard to take it seriously when it's coming from a build that's what, 12 agi/4 ath? You shouldn't be able to catch them with those stats, not unless they mess up horribly or get stuck on terrain, period. Most archers have at least 6 athletics, and many more have 7 or 8.

Part of the problem is that there's still basically little reason to go about above 18 STR for archers as the gain from Powerdraw isn't as great as what will be gained from mobility and higher proficiency. Lobby for that to be changed and you might see more strong, slower archers taking favor over the fast ones.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 01:26:52 am by Malaclypse »
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • Renown: 604
  • Infamy: 327
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 01:19:26 am »
+1
But Sosarian, you wear full plate with a pole and a crossbow and a whole bunch of strength.

Offline Ad1no

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 01:35:20 am »
Archers out run 90% of the pop.. It's not just me they kite...

Offline Malaclypse

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 01:38:09 am »
+3
Archers out run 90% of the pop.. It's not just me they kite...

Yes, I'm totally aware of that- most of them can even outrun me. But.. I only just barely have as much athletics as them, and I wear more/heavier armor in most cases, so they by rights should be able to outrun me. This is a problem of people's builds more than anything. People with high strength want to run as fast as low-armor high agi/athletics players without having to sacrifice. If you really want to catch archers that are aware of you, go heavy agility (12/27 or 15/27) instead of heavier strength.

Basically, the inverse of the builds you've done up until now :3

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 01:40:13 am »
Sprint would be awesome, but introduce for everyone, and scale duration with agi and weight. Also immediately stop sprint when a mouse button is clicked.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Ad1no

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 01:41:20 am »
The only problem is I am not gonna make my character good at only running down archers.. You guys see me play everyday i'm a front line soldier I need strength not speed.

Archers are my counter I accept that, but this kiting is out of control and you guys know it!! :D

Offline Malaclypse

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 01:47:09 am »
+1
Archers are my counter I accept that, but this kiting is out of control and you guys know it!! :D

I wouldn't say it's out of control, but it could definitely be addressed. For starters, the arrow weight change helps, but is pretty extreme (1 quiver of regular arrows heavier than Great Maul lol). If possible, bows could be given physical length and have an alternate mode as a staff-like melee weapon to facilitate this. Physical weapon length affects run speed, more powerful bows could be longer, etc.  Automatic MOTF spawning at a designated amount of time left comes to mind as well.

There are a number of suggestions up at the moment in regards to this, I just think that ones which feel artificial (melee only speed buffs, athletics nerfs related to powerdraw) aren't fair/thought out very well, though I'm confident the developers will find a balance of good suggestions at some point.

Still, it's ultimately a problem of builds, which is a problem with the metagame which gravitates towards more Strength oriented builds in melee and more agility oriented builds in ranged. I don't have a problem with any builds, personally, but would definitely like to see as many dedicated agility-based infantry builds as I do balanced/strength based ones on the battlefield (I'd also like to see more Strength based ranged builds). More quick folks could make kiting archers less of an issue, but it falls on players to commit to those builds.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 01:55:57 am by Malaclypse »

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 01:47:46 am »
+1
Archers can't outrun even the slowest horse  :idea:
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Rhaelys

• Duke
  • Renown: 509
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: Rhaelys_BlockLeft_of_Chaos
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 01:48:08 am »
+2
If you were asking for this to be added and had a build similar to mine (18/24) where you already have a lot of athletics, more/the same as the archers who are running this suggestion might be more well accepted, but it's just hard to take it seriously when it's coming from a build that's what, 12 agi/4 ath? You shouldn't be able to catch them with those stats, not unless they mess up horribly or get stuck on terrain, period. Most archers have at least 6 athletics, and many more have 7 or 8.

Sosarian has 3 agi

Quote from: Uumdi
sweet of you guys to celebrate my birthday
wait you're talking about that devils lettuce arent you, god damnit
Quote from: Kreczor
yo you want to burn some sweet romaine tonight?
Quote from: Uumdi
yeah i smoke that dirty green shit fuck iceberg

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 01:54:48 am »
Archers can't outrun even the slowest horse  :idea:

No, but they can dodge all the horses with ease, at least pre-nerf to their run-speed. :wink:
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 02:03:48 am »
+1
No, but they can dodge all the horses with ease, at least pre-nerf to their run-speed. :wink:

Yes, but we are talking about the game as it is now aren't we? Or should I bring up melee running around with 250 WPF and limitless slots so they can literally take any weapon and can spin a circle with no friction or delay involved? Oh wait, they nerfed all that....

So what was your point?
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • Renown: 604
  • Infamy: 327
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 02:05:43 am »
+1
If an archer kites and they're last, it's [usually] delaying. If you're chasing one in battle and can't catch up, then stop wasting time...

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 02:07:02 am »
Haven't played a lot since that nerf, but considering that full strength tincans can dodge horses easily, I seriously doubt that archers will have much of a problem, even after the nerf.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 02:27:00 am »
+1
Haven't played a lot since that nerf, but considering that full strength tincans can dodge horses easily, I seriously doubt that archers will have much of a problem, even after the nerf.

Yeah, dodging the horse may be not so tough, but those silly cavalry all come with a really long weapon you know?