Author Topic: What's a good (Multiple Items)?  (Read 1607 times)

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
What's a good (Multiple Items)?
« on: November 22, 2012, 02:28:24 am »
So, I'm going 1h/pole/riding and I'd like to know what a good Shield, 1h and(hoplite) polearm are.

In addition, what's better: 21/15 or 18/18 at level 31?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 02:40:50 am by Lt_Anders »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
Re: What's a good (Multiple Items)?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 02:35:48 am »
Military hammer, ashwood pike and heavy round for ground.

Long Arming (or military hammer), lance (or great lance if your not a stabber) and elite cav on horse.

Also take a look on the war spear, italian sword, flanged mace, winged mace, knightly heater and bamboo spear.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline HarryCrumb

• Earl
  • Renown: 339
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 02:39:22 am »
21/15
7 PS
4 IF
4 Shield
5 Ath
4 WM
5 Riding

127 1h / 68 Polearm

(Light) Lance/Elite Cav/Too many 1hers to choose from (KAS/Steel Pick/ACS/Iberian)

I'm assuming you're starting on cav most of the time so I ignored the obvious hoplite weapons that can't be used on horseback.

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 02:42:38 am »
Harry what level is that? I'm heading for 31(retire at 32).

Offline HarryCrumb

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 03:16:02 am »
That is for 30 but you can just add in 3 skill points where ever (1 WM, 1 Shield, 1 IF). Add in the WPF where you see fit but 130ish 1h is more than enough.

Offline Pentecost

• Earl
  • Renown: 313
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 03:21:26 am »
I'd like to know what a good Shield, 1h and(hoplite) polearm are.

In addition, what's better: 21/15 or 18/18 at level 31?

Shield:
Elite Cavalry Shield (better forcefield) or Knightly Heater Shield (more durable)

1h:
Italian Sword (fast, cheap, good reach), Steel Pick (fast, good damage, poor reach), or Warhammer (knockdown, very good damage)

Polearm:
Light Lance (long, cheap, 2 directional), War Spear (fast, sheathable, 4 directional), or Ashwood Pike (good damage, reach, and speed, expensive, 2 directional)

Since you are incorporating riding, I would recommend going 21/15 over 18/18 unless you must absolutely ride a courser. Honestly though, as this is only a level 31 build, you may want to consider leaving out the riding unless it's really important to you. You can make a much better infantry build with the 5 points you would save from doing so.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 03:55:39 am »
Above posts are all great. I think you might want a tad more PS because of the new lance changes. Regular lance is also a very good hoplite weapon imo (especially against other cav), a double use if you're on horse.

For 1hs, check whether you like long (italian, knightly), medium (dao weapons, cleavers), or short (axes, hammers/maces, picks). With short weapons, you have amazing accuracy hitting the opponent that you want, even in dense groups. I think you're already experienced with 1hs so it shouldn't be much of an issue finding a preference.

For shields, I like the fast ones, and just pick another shield up if it breaks. They have poorer coverage (except elite cav, but only on the feet), but are just much more responsive.

Level 31? If you're planning on leveling more, it is wise to plan ahead. 21/15 fills in quite fast, 21/18 sounds nice if you want to level further. I planned for 32, and just put random points in my last 3 levels. Don't want other people to experience the same.

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 04:39:29 am »
right So i think i got my 1h and build setup.

Strength: 21
    Agility: 15
    Hit points: 66

Ironflesh: 5
    Power Strike: 7
    Shield: 5
    Athletics: 5
    Riding: 5
    Horse Archery: 0
    Power Draw: 0
    Power Throw: 0
    Weapon Master: 5

One Handed: 130
    Polearm: 93

But what I want to know is, what's the difference between the Knightly kite and knightly heater.(I'm going to MW one of them but I wish to know is 2 resistance and  worth more than 25 health?)

@Pentecost
I just like being mounted. I primarily use a rouncy(champion) but i have a champ destrier too. I've been on horseback all most 20 gens, so I just like it.
@San
I'm not planning on going past 32 anymore. I went 33 once and that was enough, 31 is my normal build and 32 is my retirement goal. I just can't play one class consistently. My last build was 21/18 2h/xbow/pole/cav/HA. That just explains why I like doing what I do.

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 04:53:23 am »
+1
Dont dismiss the round shield.

It is very cheap and has a big area. Polearms are a tricky subject and it really depends whether you want to get kills or just stun opponents. Ashwood pike is a universal favorite for hoplites but red tassel spear is very fast in comparison. Of course if you plan to ride the ashwood pike and bamboo spear are no use.

Light lance is pretty awful on foot but is a good cav weapon. Double sided lance isn't bad either if you are a gambling man and it will kill upon couch as its still got its full damage unlike the other lances.

I'm new to 1H shield but not to 1H no shield or cav. If you have good footwork and a strong shield maces, axes and short swords are awesome. If you use a sheath-able polearm try the scimitars, the shashka and the arabian straight swords as the reach and high cut damage is a real advantage. The military hammer is almost to good to be true from horseback and is definitely worth a shot if you can keep your horse alive.

If you plan to walk around a lot try a longer stabbing sword like a knightly arming sword 2H will kick at you a lot and a good stab will put them inline pretty quick.

Good luck with your build and don't forget to rp a bit it keeps the game fun when you cant make your build work for you. All though by the sounds of it you are completely addicted
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline Pentecost

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 05:23:43 am »
+1
But what I want to know is, what's the difference between the Knightly kite and knightly heater.

Look around a bit, and you'll see that the Knightly Heater is a lot more popular than the Knightly Kite Shield.

There are a number of reasons for this, but, if we're just talking straight performance, the Knightly Heater is arguably better because of it's width advantage. When it comes to shields, width is at least as important as HP and speed and arguably much more important than stuff like height or resistance. Besides obvious stuff like catching arrows and helping you to protect against enemy mobs and agility greatsworders trying to swing around your shield, shield width is also one of the factors used to check against whether or not your shield gets hitstunned when some guy with a barmace or other heavy weapon hits it.

Although you might not think 25 hp for 2 width and 2 resistance is a good trade, both shields with 5 shield skill are already tough enough that they'll hold up to blow after blow in melee and won't break instantly against axes. There is also the fact that, if you plan on getting one, a +3 shield gains a large amount of hp and other stats but not width. This makes the width more valuable in my view.

Owens: The reason no one is recommending the Round Shield or Heavy Round Shield to Anders is because you can't use them on horseback. No one disputes that they're excellent dedicated infantry shields though. Also, have you actually tried a +3 light lance on foot with decent wpf? It's a solid hoplite weapon, especially if you want to save money.

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 06:05:15 am »
Lance and Light lance Are nice weapons. Never used in hoplite mode, but anytime I'd get dehorsed I'd use the lance as a melee weapon a lot before switching to primary weapon(a HBS or Katana depending on my preference, I'm a jew so I usually go cheap)

But that clears up some shield woes. I've only done shield twice maybe. And retired asap. I couldn't stand it, I rage way to much, so I'm going mixed to give me something fun if shielder pisses me off to much.

So how does this sound:
My normal armor(black lameller, etc).
+3 broad 1h battle axe(this might change to italian, espada, or cleaver depending on my mood.)
Knightly Heater(+3)
Lance
Rondel dagger

+3 Rouncey(or +3 destrier if money is good)

And yes the round is a hell of an Inf shield, but I can't use it on horseback ;p
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 06:09:13 am by Lt_Anders »

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2012, 06:21:06 am »
Sorry didn't realise it couldn't be used on horseback.

Well yeah cav shields are good. I don't like the constant risk of a bounce that is why I avoid the lances on foot.

But again good luck also that axe is pretty good. The cheaper longer one is better.
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline Pentecost

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2012, 06:35:39 am »
Sounds solid, Anders. The normal lance is kind of slow on foot, but it's incredibly long and does decent damage too. It's certainly better than the heavy lance if you were using it as cavalry and then got unhorsed.

Offline HarryCrumb

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2012, 09:42:12 am »
Dont dismiss the round shield.

It is very cheap and has a big area. Polearms are a tricky subject and it really depends whether you want to get kills or just stun opponents. Ashwood pike is a universal favorite for hoplites but red tassel spear is very fast in comparison. Of course if you plan to ride the ashwood pike and bamboo spear are no use.

Light lance is pretty awful on foot but is a good cav weapon. Double sided lance isn't bad either if you are a gambling man and it will kill upon couch as its still got its full damage unlike the other lances.

I'm new to 1H shield but not to 1H no shield or cav. If you have good footwork and a strong shield maces, axes and short swords are awesome. If you use a sheath-able polearm try the scimitars, the shashka and the arabian straight swords as the reach and high cut damage is a real advantage. The military hammer is almost to good to be true from horseback and is definitely worth a shot if you can keep your horse alive.

If you plan to walk around a lot try a longer stabbing sword like a knightly arming sword 2H will kick at you a lot and a good stab will put them inline pretty quick.

Good luck with your build and don't forget to rp a bit it keeps the game fun when you cant make your build work for you. All though by the sounds of it you are completely addicted

The issue is that he couldn't use the shield on horseback if he chose heavy round shield, which tends to be quite handy.

But what I want to know is, what's the difference between the Knightly kite and knightly heater.(I'm going to MW one of them but I wish to know is 2 resistance and  worth more than 25 health?)

Well the shields have different sizes. The knightly kite is a bit longer which can help block more hits that would normally hit your horse as opposed to the small knightly heater shield which doesn't have as long of length but utilizes the extra 2 resistance (San uses the knightly heater so I would assume he could make an argument for that).

Offline Rage_Guy

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 123
  • cRPG Player
  • L to the ATVIA, bitch.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Latvian Potato Empire
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2012, 08:33:04 pm »
Also try out the Fighting Axe, it's pretty good on foot.