Add DEFENSE RADIUS for holdings?

Yes
8 (72.7%)
Not sure
0 (0%)
No
3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Defense Radius  (Read 753 times)

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
Defense Radius
« on: November 20, 2012, 03:17:20 am »
+7
So, everyone has closed borders and tries to defend their S&D....but if no one is around, you can't see or stop someone coming in and trading at your fief/castle/town, even if you have an army of heavily armed troops stationed there...

:arrow: I WOULD PROPOSE THAT EACH HOLDING HAVE A DEFENSE RADIUS...
Basically this is a circle around a holding in which the owner can see anyone that passes into that circle, and can use the ARMY (not population) stationed at his/her holding to march out and intercept that person as long as they are within their Defense Radius.

This Defense Radius could be very small for fiefs, a bit bigger for castles, and a bit bigger still for towns. 

:arrow: This could be done while the owner of the holding is there, or NOT there. 

Thoughts?
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
Re: Defense Radius
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 08:07:42 am »
+1
I would personally enjoy every army over a certain size (maybe 250 or some shit) would have a "zone of control", so to speak. This would either a)prevent any non-allied faction from entering the area
b)simply reduce the movement speed quite heavily of any armies moving through the zone of control. You could post up guards and shit without having them to be at their PC/Smartphone 24/7.

Of course, for the first option to be viable there would need to be a UI for alliances on strategus, so allies coming in for trading runs wouldn't be barred accidentally, etc.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 01:33:24 pm »
I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

You want to be able to intercept from farther than normally possible when you use the fief's army ? Like in a 5km radius around a town, you dont have to move out to attack someone ?

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 01:59:41 pm »
Kinda like in Total War: Empire?

Very sound idea, I like it.
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline buba

• Count
  • Renown: 193
  • Infamy: 33
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Buba_theVagabond
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 03:10:24 pm »
+1
That is why you leave a friend behind to defend you're stuff, its part of the game as far as I am concerned.
You might say its unnecessary micro managing, I think its part of the fun playing strat thinking these things out and contacting/communicating with other players how to go around these things.

Also, defenders already have the advantage in strat, this idea would even unbalance the favour more to the defender in my opinion.

So, my opinion is that even though protecting you're border can be a shore at times.
Its still better then having a magic ring around a fief that will favour the defender even more, and takes away player activity.

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 03:54:54 pm »
Well, the owner of the fief would still have to manually SEE the incoming trader/attacker, and send his army out (within the small defense radius)....it wouldn't be automated or anything.

He could just do this without being there himself...

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 04:29:41 pm »
I don't think you should be able to initiate an attack with your army garrison if someone gets within "X" meters of your fief.  I still think you should have to manually sally out an army and attack them.  You should manage your fiefs better if the fief lord is not around to take care of the day to day operations.  Either appoint someone who can manage the fief to be the lord, or leave behind someone with an army that can enforce your borders.

Or stay in/near your fiefs.

Or the dev's could implement a "steward" function where you can appoint a steward of your fief, who can do everything the fief owner can except they can't transfer the fief to someone else.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 04:44:42 pm »
+1
As this would bring neutral traders sneaking into unguarded fiefs to an total hold, I vote NO. This can also be heavily abused for stopping incoming attacks. At worst no one will be able to attack a fief anymore, because they get stopped by an army controlled from anywhere over the map.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 08:55:46 pm by dodnet »
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline buba

• Count
  • Renown: 193
  • Infamy: 33
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Buba_theVagabond
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 04:51:59 pm »
What dodnet said, and what i meant with favouring the defender to much.

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 05:35:04 pm »

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 06:53:49 am »
Making a defensive perimeter around the fief/castle/town or whatever would certainly eliminate poaching/smuggling. I find that to be a great negative, as it's best to support independents, neutrals or smaller factions being able to do stuff. However, I believe having a system similar to that of recently total war games, in which armies have zones of control in which another army cannot pass. Of course, the troop limit to impose a large zone of control would have to be quite large. You could prevent S and D smuggling if you sit a nice 800 man army near the place, sure. But that's a large use of resources that is likely more useful elsewhere. There would surely be unguarded fiefs to smuggle/poach from. Of course, for this to work, I believe there would have to be an integrated diplomacy UI in strategus. That'd be a bitch to code and create, I'm sure.

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 08:47:04 am »
Hmm...good points, I realize that this would be bad overall for independents....I will lock.
** Nevermind, I'll leave it open to discussion....but I do realize there are flaws in this idea in its current state.

I don't think you should be able to initiate an attack with your army garrison if someone gets within "X" meters of your fief.  I still think you should have to manually sally out an army and attack them.

Stated that it wouldn't be automated.  Fief owner would have to be in strat map to SEE it and to send out his garrison.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 07:05:57 pm by Elindor »