Author Topic: Life is Feudal (now on Steam Greenlight!)  (Read 49932 times)

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
Re: Life is Feudal (now on Steam Greenlight!)
« Reply #465 on: November 23, 2017, 06:50:11 pm »
+1
I'm planning to build a small retaining wall around my house. How many years should I set aside for this task?

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: November 23, 2017, 10:18:28 pm »
+4
Ha okay Vibe. But is it a good grind or just painstakingly boring af grind? I assume the former if you are still playing :)

It's grinding the same thing over and over tbh. And it's slooooooooow. Honestly it's a game that you play semi-afk while you grind skills ala EVE online. The satisfaction comes from watching your village grow as a combined effort of the whole guild. The game is not just solo-unfriendly, it's unplayable solo. The skill cap is set to 400 which is enough to max out one branch of crafting, out of many.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #467 on: November 28, 2017, 09:09:46 pm »
+2
It's grinding the same thing over and over tbh. And it's slooooooooow. Honestly it's a game that you play semi-afk while you grind skills ala EVE online. The satisfaction comes from watching your village grow as a combined effort of the whole guild. The game is not just solo-unfriendly, it's unplayable solo. The skill cap is set to 400 which is enough to max out one branch of crafting, out of many.

One branch out of many, all of which rely on multiple of other branches of crafting to even be able to make stuff their own craft.  :lol:. Impossible to solo play if you actually want to progress in the game, you could keep remaking shitty shacks maybe, but not much else lol.

Offline FleetFox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 711
  • Infamy: 72
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fox Shox Rox
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Norsemen
  • Game nicks: Norse_Torr and FleetFox
« Reply #468 on: November 29, 2017, 06:29:00 pm »
+3
So I got the game, I played it and turns out its fucking class :D Got my bro Norr to get it, now we playing YO learning the game, getting prepared to enter the MMO. Its just amazing, basically a far far deeper more refined PW mod (warband mod). No regrets so far, playing on my laptop too with zero lag and issues. Quite a steep learning curve but yeah if you join a guild everyone is happy to help and answer questions. Community we have come across so far have been awesome, 10/10 would reccomend.
"Its better to die on your feet than to live on your knees."
― Emiliano Zapata

Offline Golem

• Earl
  • Renown: 466
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: rektlessHEMPrincess
« Reply #469 on: December 03, 2017, 09:30:31 pm »
Looks like an awful grind. On the point of it not being solo-friendly: Can you progress in the game, in any way at all, if you have a couple people, but don't spend the majority of your time tilling the earth or some shit? In other words, can you be homeless and get around just by nicking stuff off of other players?
This is about being straight out retarded. Children see in slow motion like owls.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: December 03, 2017, 11:17:29 pm »
+1
Looks like an awful grind. On the point of it not being solo-friendly: Can you progress in the game, in any way at all, if you have a couple people, but don't spend the majority of your time tilling the earth or some shit? In other words, can you be homeless and get around just by nicking stuff off of other players?

no

Offline Lennu

• Marshall
  • Renown: 774
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Lennu
  • IRC nick: Lennu_
« Reply #471 on: December 06, 2017, 02:30:41 am »
+3
I'm playing in the same village/guild as Vibe and Leesin.
We have a friendly hunter as a neighbor, who we are trading with. He pays in furs, and we give him whatever we can provide him with. And we pretty much need all the furs we can get.

Basicly he is playing alone, but he has to trade or he'll be stuck with his stone-age equipment. But in the long run it's going to really difficult, because all the tools and equipment get worn out pretty fast. So maintanance is a problem. There are repair kits that everyone can use. But to make one repair kit you'd need to get to the end of one of the skill branches. And the materials needed for the repair kit are produced by other professions  :lol:

IMO this game has been designed to be played in an organized group. Which is maybe why it takes 10 people to form a guild and set up a guild claim.

And so far I've noticed that THIS GAME IS NOT AN MMO YET. You can play on a continent with over 3000 players online simultaniously. But if over 300 players gather to one area, the lag will become unbearable, might even crash the server. So there is one huge thing to be fixed.

What really makes a difference between Your Own and the MMO version is the large scale politic. On Your Own one active guild could bully the entire servers with player cap of 64. On MMO one active guild can still bully the peasants nearby, but now the peasants have the option to ask for help from others guilds, and maybe become vassals for someone etc. There are already some huge alliances with dozens of guilds and hundreds of players in them. And there's also internal drama in those alliances  :lol:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 02:48:53 am by Lennu »

Offline FleetFox

• Marshall
  • Fox Shox Rox
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: December 06, 2017, 10:05:28 am »
+1
Nice post Lennu. You are right about the big guild alliances basically running the show. I accidentally came across this big guild called "The Forge" who are one of the biggest guilds in this major alliance apparently. It is a big operation, I think there is roughly 300 players split up into factions and then profession types. So far they have been super friendly and helpful and have welcomed my bro Norr and I. They have pretty frequent skirmishes and big battles with their enemy Alliance made up of mostly Russians afaik haha. It's like the neo-liberal free world vs the soviets again in a medieval setting. To gain skills takes a long time, but there are tricks and get arounds to make things faster. I'm taking the Artisan- Carpentry- Bowmaking route. It's super easy because this clan has loads of food and tools so its fairly authentic in the fact that as a medieval person living in a larger settlement, there is a division of labour which means you have the time to focus on your choice of craft rather than having to find food elsewhere.
― Emiliano Zapata

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: December 06, 2017, 12:48:07 pm »
+1
Definitely sounds like fun. The more I hear about it I think I will give it a try sooner or later.

Offline FleetFox

• Marshall
  • Fox Shox Rox
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: December 06, 2017, 05:14:56 pm »
I got Life is Feudal: Your Own on steam sale (50% off) for £12. That gives me a. the full YO game to play and b. one free ticket (ticket= one character) for the Life is Feudal MMO. So you are laughing really with that value for money ^^
― Emiliano Zapata

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: December 06, 2017, 05:24:48 pm »
Yeah I got the same deal actually. Haven't played since ages ago when I tried YO and found it lackluster.

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: December 12, 2017, 03:40:09 pm »
What is the combat like in this game. Is it like cRPG?

Offline FleetFox

• Marshall
  • Fox Shox Rox
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: December 14, 2017, 09:06:08 am »
+2

Hi James, I've not properly tried combat yet apart from with a bow. Gonna try soon and will report back how it compares :)
― Emiliano Zapata

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #478 on: December 14, 2017, 11:14:02 am »
+1

Clunkier, slower and lacking some mechanics that would improve it. I have a feeling that it was left slower and clunky just because they couldn't get the performance/net code optimized enough for the game to handle faster combat. Lag doesn't help it either, the mechanics make it so you don't have the type of back and forth duels you would in Warband/CRPG, due to stamina etc it's more like hit and run, or at most a few hits before you back off to regen stamina.

It's not bad considering it's in a very unique game, but just don't expect anything amazing from the combat. Some abilities you unlock at certain tiers are absolutely useless and there are no features like "kicking" to help dictate the distance of a fight. I have fun with it but I wouldn't compare it to Warband/CRPG much at all, beyond directional attacks. Blocking is based on aiming your weapon at their weapon while you block, it's directional but not in the same way Warband/CRPG is.

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: December 14, 2017, 03:04:12 pm »
hmm interesting. Thanks for the description leesin. Does sound interesting but I might wait until they perfect that system a bit more. Videos I've seen of it make it look a bit clunky. That being said archery and cav don't look as bad.