Author Topic: Strategus - Army owners gain temporary admin?  (Read 629 times)

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
Strategus - Army owners gain temporary admin?
« on: November 15, 2012, 02:09:19 am »
+5
I have no idea how feasible this is, but...

When you own the attacking or defending army in a strategus battle, I feel that you should be able to kick players from your team. Almost every big strategus battle has at least one leecher, double agent, or guy who sits in spawn and punches people with your plate and heavy guantlets. It is frustrating as hell to see a dude spamming ladders to climb a tree or that dude who gets autokicked for teamwounding three times and just rejoins the server.

Is there a reason this shouldn't be done? Besides whatever coding issues lie therein.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
Re: Strategus - Army owners gain temporary admin?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 01:38:00 pm »
I have no idea how feasible this is, but...

When you own the attacking or defending army in a strategus battle, I feel that you should be able to kick players from your team. Almost every big strategus battle has at least one leecher, double agent, or guy who sits in spawn and punches people with your plate and heavy guantlets. It is frustrating as hell to see a dude spamming ladders to climb a tree or that dude who gets autokicked for teamwounding three times and just rejoins the server.

Is there a reason this shouldn't be done? Besides whatever coding issues lie therein.
Pretty much that.

Just think how different strategus is to the native gamemodes. I'm still in awe by all the things they have been able to do.

I guess the one way they could do it is give strat commander temporarily admin rights for EU_3, but you can guess how that's abusable.

Still would be nice to have this option.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 03:50:41 pm »
Most of the large strat battles will have admins on, so you can usually bug them in admin chat to do something.

I like the idea, but sounds like it would be very difficult to implement. Also, would you say it is acceptable for the commander to ban someone for playing poorly?

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 06:48:35 pm »
I was thinking about this some more and realized that there would probably be TONS of angry posts and PMs to admins about being booted "for no reason" when a player was near the bottom of the scoreboard etc.

Just sucks to watch a guy sit in your spawn punching at the flags for the entire match. You can screenshot it or take videos, but that guy will still  have burned your resources up and it can ruin a close battle.

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Boss_Awesome

• Earl
  • Renown: 338
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player
  • I am the Kwisatz Haderach
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade (Not the Coalition)
  • Game nicks: Boss_Awesome
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 12:01:28 am »
+1
I like the idea.  I think anyone above a certain rank in a faction should have limited admin powers during any strategus battle.  This should include being able to bestow kicks and 1 hour bans on members of their own team.  They should be able to kick the unperforming players and if they come back, ban em.  The whole double agent thing is something that can destroy hours and hours of preparation and completely ruin the fun of a strat battle for everyone involved.  Luckily, it is already a bannable offense.  High ranking faction members should have some limited powers though, in case an admin isn't around. 

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 03:06:44 pm »
Don't accept them into your battle?  :idea:
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 03:52:14 pm »
+1
Don't accept them into your battle?  :idea:
That's not always something you can do.

Small clans, independants and the like already have a hard time to get mercs. Do they also have to check every single individual before accepting them, what their faction ties are?

And what if they hire someone completely random who then starts teamattacking/killing? No way you could know they would do that and you got no way to stop them unless an admin is on. Even then it can be too late and you lose the fight.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 02:41:07 am »
That's not always something you can do.

Small clans, independants and the like already have a hard time to get mercs. Do they also have to check every single individual before accepting them, what their faction ties are?

And what if they hire someone completely random who then starts teamattacking/killing? No way you could know they would do that and you got no way to stop them unless an admin is on. Even then it can be too late and you lose the fight.

Everyone has a reliability and performance score, so yes, if you don't know the individual, check them before accepting.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 04:53:54 pm »
Everyone has a reliability and performance score, so yes, if you don't know the individual, check them before accepting.
Because the reliability and performance score really shows the correct picture, right? No way it can show how they will behave in exactly your battle, right?

And even if someone has a good performance score: if they only want to fuck up your battle for some reason, their score wont say anything about that. Fight a couple of battles normally, get a normal score. Go to one small battle and fuck it up for them, get a small penalty to score. Fight some more battles normally, your score is back to normal. Guy whose battle you fucked up was still fucked up.

Besides, IIRC performance score was based on how well you do compared with the rest of your team. Since the strategus page only shows KD and not score, I'm assuming it uses your KD.

So if you stand at spawn and just punch/th people there, you will have a 0:0 score. If you take a ladder, put it on a tree and just stand there there the whole time you get 0:0 score. People fighting normally will get a KD ratio below 1 (asssuming even skill and equipment between teams) because they will be damaged before starting to fight because of them having been teamhitted. This will mean the griefer gets better (but realistically, even) score as the people who actually fights.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention how annoying it is to manually check the people you hire. Remember that you will have to go on the normal cRPG website to check someone score and on the strategus website to hire them.

Also add in that many don't even KNOW about the score system.

Offline Kirbyy

• Count
  • Renown: 286
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player
  • Hi guys
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Malta 4 lyfe.
  • Game nicks: Kirby, ynyng
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 08:21:08 am »
Most of the large strat battles will have admins on, so you can usually bug them in admin chat to do something.

I like the idea, but sounds like it would be very difficult to implement. Also, would you say it is acceptable for the commander to ban someone for playing poorly?

I feel like bugging admins in NA doesn't do anything, during KUTT's last stand there was (for some stupid reason) a TKoV on our side of which was just standing in one spot not even remotely moving half the time, whereas the other half he would run into battle with good gear and not even try to live.  After which I kept spam chatting admins saying 'TkoV guy on KUTT's team is leeching'.  No response, no kick, nothing.