Author Topic: infantry/polearm questions  (Read 5346 times)

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
Re: infantry/polearm questions
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 01:11:46 am »
As a polearm user that plays siege exclusively, almost all of my deaths come from 2H swords. Huscarl/sidesword facehuggers are next, but at least I can generally avoid them if I don't want to die. Some teamwork breaks a Huscarl shield quickly anyway. With the exception of Goretooth/Wallace and a few other pros, I rarely see polearms dominating the battlefield.

The outrageous reach of the 2H sword stab makes about half of the polearms obsolete (all the spears/pikes), which should be enough reason to "adjust" them.

Offline DarkFox

• Knight
  • Renown: 42
  • Infamy: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 01:47:00 am »
Shieldless people can roam freely in cRPG battle and only throwing puts a little bit of fear into their hearts at close distance. Different to that in a Native battle with some decent players a shield is pretty much a must for inf.
Are ranged weapon going to be buffed in future?Just curious.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 01:52:35 am by DarkFox »

Offline chief

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 03:28:22 am »
Imagine if this was like Native, where 2h weapons have pretty much the same speed as 1h weapons.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 09:07:35 am »
I don't think ranged is going to be buffed. Maybe a slight accuracy increase to compensate for the slot thingy and to make it more skill-based though. From my understanding the main reason why crossbows(speed, friction) and archery(damage type, speed, friction) got hit that hard in the past was Strategus. The main tactics revolved too much about ranged warfare there. Let's see how it works out now.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 09:16:13 am »
As a polearm user that plays siege exclusively, almost all of my deaths come from 2H swords. Huscarl/sidesword facehuggers are next, but at least I can generally avoid them if I don't want to die. Some teamwork breaks a Huscarl shield quickly anyway. With the exception of Goretooth/Wallace and a few other pros, I rarely see polearms dominating the battlefield.

The outrageous reach of the 2H sword stab makes about half of the polearms obsolete (all the spears/pikes), which should be enough reason to "adjust" them.

One of the main benefits of using the ManCleaver exclusively as my 2h'd sword of choice.  Slow, unbalanced, no broken and stupid 2h thrust.  Noone can bitch legitimately when they're cleaved in twain by the manliest sword on the field.   :mrgreen:
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2011, 10:42:24 am »
Well with polearm u get lolstun so your enemy cant fight back and u have on most weapons anti turtle dmg. Along with that the knobbed mace and spiked mace are a beast only reason i went 2h instead of polearm on my current main was because i wanted to run around with my great lolhammer.

If i had to pick between the lolstab and the things stated above i would still prefer polearms.
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2011, 01:30:07 pm »
I don't think most polearm users are attached to the stun mechanic. Personally, I'd trade stun for the missing 22 length any day.

I don't get upset when I'm killed by a cleaver/flamberge/maul/hammer/etc, because these are all powerful weapons with substantial drawbacks. The great swords have no drawbacks.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2011, 01:30:32 pm »
You can't really base your argument on the polearm stun. Knockdown is ten thousand times more powerfull and nobody complains about it.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2011, 03:32:48 pm »
I don't think most polearm users are attached to the stun mechanic. Personally, I'd trade stun for the missing 22 length any day.

I don't get upset when I'm killed by a cleaver/flamberge/maul/hammer/etc, because these are all powerful weapons with substantial drawbacks. The great swords have no drawbacks.

Hmn i dont rly agree when i play my shielder i piss my pants when i confront polearm users since they wreck my steel shield to near uselessness in a matter of sec while i can very easy get rid of a greatsword user because he will never brake my shield.

Btw i dont use 2h swords myself but i cant rly see a reason to pick 2h for people if they didnt have the lolstabs ill bet u 100$ that if they removed lolstab they would all go polearm leaving 2h to people with mauls since they will also rightfully so remove the crush on long iron mace and bar mace btw when they remove the spinning thrust the lolstab will be a joke anyways so i see no reason to whine hehe
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2011, 04:07:22 pm »
Yes i guess if lolstab is removed/ animations of 2h are corrected there will be no further point in not using polearms.

Offline Beer

• Noble
  • Renown: 12
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2011, 04:34:24 am »
I am currently going with a polearm build, and loving every minute of it. The reason I close polearms over the supposedly OP two-handers is the versatility. High-end Two Handers basically have cut damage and the ones with blunt/pierce really dont fit my style. I love killing tin cans, so I grab my trusty bec de corbin and can take out most tin cans in 2 -3 hits. The pierce damage really helps. I never really have a problem being outreached either. I guess my studded leather coat is light enough that I can stay in range most of the time. On top of that, put a few points into horse and you can secondary as a lancer no problem, as the wpf is already there. Grab a pike, and you are the best melee support in the game. Sure, two-handers have insane range and speed and can lolstab, but all that can be countered by blocking and getting up close and personal.

So to all you polearm users out there, do not give up hope, polearms are still very effective IMO.

Offline Rangerbob

• Knight
  • Renown: 40
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rangerbob
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2011, 08:48:18 am »
I don't think polearms were ever underpowered.  Just look at all the top players with mw becs.  Its basically a faster stronger longer morning star with no unbalancing but no bonus against shield.  Pikes are just a pain in the ass (literally) as they poke you while a shielder runs up all in your face.  Also you may want to look into polearms for your later gen weapons because they scale better than 2hs when heirlooming.  LHB ends up 153l 95sp 44c 22p  which is better than any 2h at under 1/2 of the price. 

Offline tankmen

• Knight
  • Renown: 65
  • Infamy: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2011, 09:07:06 am »
i hate the great swords, all of them have higher or equal thrust damage than the pole arms i own... i honest fear a great sword user more so than any pole arm user due to most "pikemen" have 1 wpf n its a "oh-no-horse" weapon in there minds. I normally die from one thrust of a great sword when they hit me first as cavalry
The purpose of wearing plate has become nothing more than crippling yourself to look like a knight... or maybe its my lack of athletics

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2011, 09:44:12 am »
Just look at all the top players with mw becs.  Its basically a faster stronger longer morning star with no unbalancing but no bonus against shield.
Just clarifying, bec doesn't have more reach than the morning star except for an extended thrust.
Animations, animations, animations.
People use the bec for high pierce dmg accompanied by pole stun. They are OK with the really low effective reach since that way it will rarely glance.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Murchad

• Noble
  • Renown: 24
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2011, 11:11:08 pm »
i have tried polearms and 2h quite a but and both are awsome.
I feel 2h is a bit more powerful for mass killing but polearms have more variety.
personally I like the feel of polearms more.   the cav stopping ability is really nice and there are quite a few good polearms with blunt and pierce damage and good speed. 2h swords seem to be better for 1 on 1 dueling than any polearms. this is mostly due to the animations and not the stats the 2h animations are more sublte and less deliberate than the polearms. with polearms you can get the stun effect which is effective against inexperienced players.