Poll

Would you like to see this become reality?

Yes.
No.
Maybe.

Author Topic: [GAME MODE] Strategus-like Battle Mode (Strattle)  (Read 598 times)

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
[GAME MODE] Strategus-like Battle Mode (Strattle)
« on: November 09, 2012, 10:25:21 pm »
+8
The field of battle is grand indeed - as is this suggestion, so don't read if you have a problem with a lot of text.

Main Features:

- Spawns with cappable flags
- Randomly generated maps as well as various fiefs like castles, villages and towns
- No gear restriction, you spawn with your own stuff
- 500-1000 vs -||- tickets (random?)

Simple. Strattle.

Bonus Ideas:

- When a fief map is played the EU and NA owners of said fief are highlighted somehow. Different color in TAB menu?
- Leaders of Strat factions are randomly selected and announced as battle commanders for either side (Faction needs at least 5-10 members to prevent everyone to create 1-man factions)
- Bonus to score based on damage in the adjacency of the commander's flags (slightly negligible bonus, as some commanders are not competent enough and would more or less lure players into bad spots for the bonus - unintentionally of course.)

Formation Bonuses:

Bonuses are increased gradually after 2 or 3 more players of the same class are within 9 meter radius of the players in the group (max bonus at 9 players).

- Archer formations get bonus to accuracy and damage*
- Cavalry formations get bonus to speed
- Infantry formations get bonus to armour (shield wall bonus included)

*: Could be OP

A couple of words from me:

In my fair opinion, lots of players (mainly veterans) are not really playing the currently available game modes as they have either tired or don't enjoy them anymore, and so have resorted to only participating in Strategus battles. I think it's time to create something new, to keep things fresh and appeal to a broader audience. Battle is very elitistic and Siege is very slow-paced. We need something in-between the two -- which I believe my suggestion fulfills. Everyone likes Strat battles when you have decent gear, and it is a lot more fun than any other game mode.

Another reason why I think my suggestion is realistic enough: I assume that the scripts for Strategus in-game modes can be used for a very similar game mode, and with a few more new features to keep things spicy.

Other points:

- Needs an appropriate exp and gold gain model (then again you could use Strategus' exp gain, but with an exp bonus of 90% of the normal Strategus exp gain so that Strat Battles still remain attractive enough for battle masters to get applicants for their rosters, in particular unaffiliated applicants).

Otherwise:

- Gold gain is individual and is dependent on your score, for example:

50 gold: No requirement
100 gold: 1.2x of team's average score
150 gold 1.4x -||-
200 gold: 1.6x -||-
250 gold: 1.8x -||-

The gold is distributed at the end of a round, either when flags are capped and last player is eliminated, or if tickets run out and last player is eliminated. Winners get 150% bonus to their gold gain and losers get 90% of their gold gain. Repairs are also done at the end of a round and the chance of repair is dependent on the amount of deaths you suffered (should also have some connection between team's average amount of deaths so that players who did well are rewarded instead of punished).

EXP GAIN should be mutual for the whole team, as an incentive for good teamwork. Winners get more than Losers, naturally.

That's all I can think of for now, hope you liked the idea. Please also vote in the poll.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 10:31:37 pm by Bjord »
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline Akhooey

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Akhooey
Re: [GAME MODE] Strategus-like Battle Mode (Strattle)
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 02:00:19 pm »
Excellent Idea, but I don't think that 90% of Strat. bonuses is fair, the current system is fine, with a little push to more gain. Everything else is fine, good job! :D

« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 03:42:53 pm by Akhooey »

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 05:12:36 pm »
Well, it could be unfair but then again, 10% of 6000 exp (which is the minimum exp you get per tick in a Strategus Battle I think, for example for no-show battles) is 600 exp, making Strattle a bit more profitable than normal Battle and a bit less profitable than Strategus Battles.

So in my opinion, it's something I'd be willing to deal with, in order to keep Strategus an attractive aspect of cRPG. :)

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 05:50:32 pm »
I personally find Strategus battles incredibly boring and I would support a Battle-like Strategus Mode (Bategus) instead. Sure it is exciting the first 200 tickets, but the other 1000 get incredibly boring. I think most old players that play them exclusively do it out of loyalty to their clan and high xp gains.

One obvious problem with a pub mode like this, is the lack of teamspeak attendance. In essence Strategus battles are already a huge meatgrindfest where 100 players throw themselves at eachother until the bazillion tickets finally run out. Now imagine that with respawns, no clear objective and no one on teamspeak. It would be an enormous TDM.

Now instead, imagine plain old battle mode but then with everyone on teamspeak and listening to one commander, it would be glorious. That is when real tactics shine as every casualty you inflict is permanent and every bad mode you make hurts. It would require some thinking for tickets scaling and such, but it would be a whole lot more intense and epic. Bategus would rock.

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 08:28:15 pm »
+4
Strattle or Bategus, we need a goddamn new game mode.

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 12:16:15 pm »
Bumping.