Author Topic: I want to become a good pikeman. [HELP]  (Read 2818 times)

Offline IL_Xijena

• Noble
  • Renown: 12
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
  • Attempts to make a bad joke from time to time.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Smrt
  • IRC nick: skype: punkisnotdead8
I want to become a good pikeman. [HELP]
« on: November 05, 2012, 12:10:55 pm »
Hello! Well, the as the subject says.. but let me go more into detail. I'd use Ashwood Pike or Corseque.
- Build? I'd go for a hard hitter. I don't want to have little agi but I certainly want strength over agi.

- Armor & Weapons? Well, something like medium-heavy armor, I want to be able to take quite a beating. No shield, just Ashwood Pike or Corseque.

- Gameplay? Well when at distance I suppose I am to be a support? This is where I really need a lot of help. I have a lot of trouble when the enemy gets in my face.
Well I know that I didn't really get into detail but I hope this is enough for you to give me any advice and suggestions. Thank you all in advance!
"Anger is as good as courage".

Offline Idzo

• Earl
  • Renown: 494
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Deserter_IdZo
  • IRC nick: IdZo Steam Nick: Deja3n9
Re: I want to become a good pikeman. [HELP]
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 12:36:07 pm »
+2
Hello! Well, the as the subject says.. but let me go more into detail. I'd use Ashwood Pike or Corseque.
- Build? I'd go for a hard hitter. I don't want to have little agi but I certainly want strength over agi.

- Armor & Weapons? Well, something like medium-heavy armor, I want to be able to take quite a beating. No shield, just Ashwood Pike or Corseque.

- Gameplay? Well when at distance I suppose I am to be a support? This is where I really need a lot of help. I have a lot of trouble when the enemy gets in my face.
Well I know that I didn't really get into detail but I hope this is enough for you to give me any advice and suggestions. Thank you all in advance!

21Str 18 agi in that case.

7PS
6WM
6ATH

you got 4 skill points more, i would advise you to put it in shield and you can get more out of ashwood pike but it will slow you down.
if you dont want shield use em in IF.
Urist: Being crpg mod makes you go insane at some point. look at meow, he thinks he's a fcking cat

Offline sjarken

• Baron
  • Renown: 112
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Sjarken
  • IRC nick: Sjarken
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 12:40:32 pm »
Level 30
Strength:18
Agility:18
Weapon Master:6
Athletics:6
Riding:0
Iron Flesh:6
Shield:0
Power Strike:6

5 extra point u can build for 21/18 build or put em in shield skill.

Or:
Level 31
Strength:21
Agility:18
Weapon Master:6
Athletics:6
Riding:0
Iron Flesh:7
Shield:0
Power Strike:7

Offline Idzo

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 12:45:13 pm »
Anyway, go for lvl 30 build you can retire when you reach lvl 31 so you get some looms to loom your armour.
Urist: Being crpg mod makes you go insane at some point. look at meow, he thinks he's a fcking cat

Offline sjarken

• Baron
  • Renown: 112
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Sjarken
  • IRC nick: Sjarken
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 12:46:50 pm »
+1
But if you rly not are going to use a shield with the ashwood pike id go for 18/21 build.

Offline Idzo

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 01:02:31 pm »
+1
or..
Level 30 (4 420 577 xp)

Strength: 21
    Agility: 21
    Hit points: 56

Skills to attributes: 14

Ironflesh: 0
    Power Strike: 7
    Athletics: 6
    Weapon Master: 4
    Polearm: 140

Offline Grumpy_Nic

• King
  • Renown: 1023
  • Infamy: 306
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Hermann_von_Krems
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 01:06:29 pm »
My current build:

21/18

7PS
7IF
6ATH
3WM

Hits quite hard and can take a beating in medium armor. Never go alone.

Offline Gourmi

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Gourm_The_Defiler
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 01:14:00 pm »
since youre not using any of the longer stabby poles id recomend
30/12
10 PS
4 Ath
and 3 points for either WM or IF

4 ath is enough speed to move at a normal pase but not enough to be a jjumping annoying pikeman but you only need that if you are using
 the longer ones and belive me this one hits hard :D
Don't fight a battle, You don't gain anything by winning

Offline POOPHAMMER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 328
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • yes thats me irl
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Barabe
  • Game nicks: POOPHAMMER
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 01:19:49 pm »
+4
pikeman tips: let other people do the real fighting while you sit back and stab enemies who are busy fighting, always stay with a group

thats all

oh yeah stab horses too i guess
Uther Pendragon: dont worry i wasnt planning on trusting you anyway

Offline Grumpy_Nic

• King
  • Renown: 1023
  • Infamy: 306
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Hermann_von_Krems
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 01:48:36 pm »

Yes. Do that a lot and you'll save your teammates. Nothing is more fun than stopping an easymode in the middle of your teammates. They'll make beef tartar of him within seconds. Yummy.
Rearing enemy horses can be so satisfying sometimes, always keep an eye out for those.

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 03:17:15 pm »
Yes. Do that a lot and you'll save your teammates. Nothing is more fun than stopping an easymode in the middle of your teammates. They'll make beef tartar of him within seconds. Yummy.
Rearing enemy horses can be so satisfying sometimes, always keep an eye out for those.

Jumping and then stabbing over your teammates head, killing the enemy that had his overhead ready to slice your oblivious teammate in two. Feels like a movie scene. Doing that with horses is cool too, but just doesn't produce the same effect of badassery.

Also, check out the many guides on spears posted in the guides section. They all go into detail of the many different polearm builds. I highly recommend however, you start with a long spear. Do a generation of that, then pick what direction you want to go. More defensive? Hoplite. Longer reach? Pikeman. Faster, more explosive hits? Short stabby weapons. Or if you want to just stay a decent middle ground, stick to the long spear.

Offline Pentecost

• Earl
  • Renown: 313
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 03:29:54 pm »
If you plan on being a spearman, you should keep in mind that the weapons you mentioned both have tremendous pierce damage on their thrusts. As long as you have your movement down, they should deal considerable damage to most targets even with comparatively low amounts of power strike (ie 5 PS). In fact, while they certainly benefit from having more Power Strike, they arguably benefit from having good Athletics as much if not more. Consider:

-Power Strike offers a straight offensive boost in the form of more damage.
-Athletics offers an offensive boost by giving you a better speed bonus when attacking and letting you get in position for more attacks more quickly, but it is also a defensive boost; it lets you weave in and out of enemy groups, disengage from disadvantageous fights, and lets you really take advantage of the range of your weapon.

You might say this dichotomy applies to every kind of melee weapon and not just spears, but, in my own experience and from what I've personally seen, spears are the one type of weapon where you particularly benefit from building in favor of agility. The problem you described of people facehugging you (and thus denying you the chance of counterattacking them with a good speed bonus) is, once you get the hang of spearing, much less of an issue with the right build.

(click to show/hide)

This is what I would recommend trying on an STF. If you are not used to skewering people with 8 athletics and need some more time before adjusting to it, then you can modify it to be an 18/21 build and use that with one of the many light to middle weight mail armors. Finally, when it comes to the general principles of that you should be mindful when you have a spear in your hands, the most important thing to remember is not to have tunnel vision. Nothing is more predictable than a spearman who focuses on one opponent and fights in a linear fashion, and nothing is more dangerous than a spearman who stabs anyone in the enemy crowd who lets his guard down, who is moving in such a way as to find an angle of attack that gets around your downblock, and who is timing his attacks to cover the other players on his team.

Offline Tanken

• King
  • Renown: 1463
  • Infamy: 395
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Tanken
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 05:25:12 pm »
PM me and we'll setup a time for us to get together on KUTT teamspeak and I'll show you some things. A lot of KUTT guys can do it, but I'd be happy to work hands on with you.
Below is a Collection of Finalists in my Design my Avatar contest -- They all did Awesome!
Thanks to all of those who contributed.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 06:20:35 pm »
pikeman tips: let other people do the real fighting while you sit back and stab enemies who are busy fighting, always stay with a group

thats all

Pretty much sums it up  :lol:

This guide is also for Archers an throwers an lancer cav an Xbows  :mrgreen:
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 06:23:46 pm »
dont even block just backpedal and spam instant stabs that interrupt any other attack with 10000 speed on a 1000 reach weapon because this mod is shit
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login