Author Topic: War Spear / Red Tassel Spear Adjustment  (Read 4252 times)

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
Re: War Spear / Red Tassel Spear Adjustment
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 07:02:18 pm »
War Spear is an excellent weapon.

And how are the 2d poles any faster on their stabs?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 07:05:32 pm »
+3
Why are people suddenly necroing a year old thread?
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2013, 09:52:41 pm »
The absolute last thing I think when I take a longsword/SoW against a warspear user (of the very few who stubbornly keep using them) is 'this is a balanced fight'. What I actually think is 'I'm going to castor/chamber/range game every single time I see a sideswing, because I lose almost no health if I mess up or he holds'.
Dunno if you have noticed, but the spears have 150 reach. The speed/length combo of these weapons still makes them extremely potent weapons. War spear is an amazing polearm to duel with, play that range game, unless you chamber the stab all the time I'll be able to swing at you.

That said, in duel they are awesome, in battle the low damage really grinds your gears. Buff both of their swings with like 3 blunt to make up for lost polestun. Even a quarterstaff has 21.

Lol didnt see.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2013, 10:13:45 pm »
+3

He is spiritus. It's his job to bring life to dead threads.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2013, 08:25:36 pm »
Those war spear sideswings used by an agility player render 1, maybe 2 frames before they connect. It won't hurt much, but it usually won't glance.

Useable with shield+useable on horseback+rears horses+good stab damage+fast sideswings that don't glance=versatile weapon that's good in most situations.

Sure, dueling against a Longsword user you'll be at a disadvantage, but everyone is at a disadvantage dueling a Longsword user, so join the party. Of course the devs saw this and decided the solution was to buff the Longsword, so good luck getting them to improve spears or anything else.

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2013, 02:31:49 pm »
Those war spear sideswings used by an agility player render 1, maybe 2 frames before they connect. It won't hurt much, but it usually won't glance.

Useable with shield+useable on horseback+rears horses+good stab damage+fast sideswings that don't glance=versatile weapon that's good in most situations.

Sure, dueling against a Longsword user you'll be at a disadvantage, but everyone is at a disadvantage dueling a Longsword user, so join the party. Of course the devs saw this and decided the solution was to buff the Longsword, so good luck getting them to improve spears or anything else.

I was actually quite surprised when waiting for a strat battle I was able to absolutely own a well known longsword disciple by picking up a MW warspear... first time using one, and I was on my not-duel-friendly hoplite character as well. I instantly noticed that I could hit him 3 times in a row without him even getting a chance to block just from good footwork and the fact that it hits a couple frames early (even with my slow 21-15 build). Not to mention that the sideswings, while being 'weak' are super fast considering their reach is 150. I say the 2 spears are quite good weapons, and speaking from experience, their sideswings can deal a heck of a lot of damage when hitting an agi build, armor or not (since they deal blunt).

Using a war spear feels like using a buffed staff... its just longer and has a far better stab. It doesn't even feel slower since the length accommodates.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Lord_Bernie_of_Voodoo

• Earl
  • Renown: 372
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove Great Lances 2015
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Bernie
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2013, 04:55:52 pm »
+1
The Warspear statistics are very deceptive. I've been able to fight off groups of 3 or more while my shield is sheathed (not groups of peasants.) It's 95 speed statistic still surprises me. It's one of the "snappiest" weapons in the game - capable of keeping up with twohand spammers.

It's swing damage is pretty weak. My +3 WarSpear only does 22 blunt, but it can do the job. I liked Jarlek's suggestion on making it cheaper - but, it's swing could use a buff. Maybe, 1-3 more damage points.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2013, 05:25:44 pm »
It's swing damage is pretty weak. My +3 WarSpear only does 22 blunt, but it can do the job. I liked Jarlek's suggestion on making it cheaper - but, it's swing could use a buff. Maybe, 1-3 more damage points.

22blunt is better than it sounds; 22 blunt does about the same damage to 60 armor as 32 cut. People that complain about the Side Sword and other stabby 1h swords need to remember that their sideswings are on par with a war spear, and the stab has a shorter range (compared to hoplite mode war spear) and doesn't rear horses.

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2013, 07:08:46 pm »
+2
I believe the warspear already received a slight sideswing damage boost some time between me posting this thread and now. Unfortunately, the sideswing damage is low enough that there is a world of difference between a +3 warspear, and an unloomed one.