Author Topic: Great sacrifice for the greatest cause  (Read 1058 times)

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
Great sacrifice for the greatest cause
« on: October 16, 2012, 07:45:39 am »
+10
It is time cRPG stepped up.

I am suggesting that we cosider a full and heavily advertised restart. For 1 or 2 weeks we can only use new characters (no stf, no money transfers, no market) after that our old characters are opened back up again. We get as many gaming syndicates in on it as possible and get some new players.

The hardest thing for a new player is not giving up before they figure out how to use the website and that they will eventually not be gimp. For 1 week we have an even playing feild and lure them in for good.

We might even get a cRPG in AUS again?????
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline Haboe

• King
  • Renown: 1090
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Born with a shield on my back. Difficult birth.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Haboe
Re: Great sacrifice for the greatest cause
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 10:38:34 am »
+2
An actually fine idea by owens...

Doubt if this will ever be done but why not, +1
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Moncho

• King
  • Renown: 1127
  • Infamy: 221
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moncho, Some_Random_STF, Some_Random_Troll
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 10:46:31 am »
+1
I am not sure, I love the concept, but what would happen to strat in the meantime? Would it keep working with the normal characters to give new players a glimpse of what they can become, or would you freeze? The second option would be awful I think

Offline owens

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 10:51:18 am »
^Thanks for some feed back Have a look at my at LCC and my cRPG promotion plan here

http://loungechaircarnage.com.au/showthread.php?2182-cRPG-in-AUS
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 11:00:35 am »
+3
I like the idea, but I think it needs quite some preparation time. First of all, the new logo and trailer video must be fully implemented. Then I would recommend making some good tutorial videos, to address the issue you mentioned, making the new players stay until they have figured out everything. As I know very well due to the average length of my posts and the answers I get, people don't like to read a lot, and you would have to read a lot if you explained everything important about the game.

And perhaps we should wait until Warband is on sale on Steam again (Christmas, I guess, if not sooner). Such an action needs to be planned carefully to work out.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 11:05:22 am »
+4
One of the reasons many people decide to stick with the game is because they get inspired by experienced vets with good gear murdering people and want to be like them someday.  Bad idea.
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline LordRichrich

• Count
  • Renown: 297
  • Infamy: 115
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 11:40:45 pm »
One of the reasons many people decide to stick with the game is because they get inspired by experienced vets with good gear murdering people and want to be like them someday.  Bad idea.
DECIDED* Because, in reality, it was easier to wear full plate 100% of the time pre-upkeep, cos after you'd purchased it, you could wear it. That was the incentive that got people to play, once you purchased something you could wear it forever. And the guys with really heavy gear, with really good equipment and really good horses were idolised, because they ALWAYS wore the same thing, you always recognized them! I'm not sure if it's nostalgia, but there were less copy clones back then weren't there? As in, less people using 80% same equipment in terms of armour and weapons?

EDIT: I see a lot of the current community just not play for those two weeks aswell

Offline owens

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 06:38:53 am »
^look I see where you are coming from but no-one uses impressive gear and within 5 hours people will be back in kuyaks and on coursers but that isnt the point.

The point is in cRPG you cannot get a kill at a low level. If you are beating someones ass they will just run away, If they have armour you will bounce. So give some reward to these new guys trying to learn the ropes.
PK is back

Offline LordRichrich

• Count
  • Renown: 297
  • Infamy: 115
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 07:08:57 pm »
+2
^look I see where you are coming from but no-one uses impressive gear and within 5 hours people will be back in kuyaks and on coursers but that isnt the point.

The point is in cRPG you cannot get a kill at a low level. If you are beating someones ass they will just run away, If they have armour you will bounce. So give some reward to these new guys trying to learn the ropes.
I personally like the idea, but as a back up somehow give a link to a sign up where, 1 per CD key (and if you don't have a char already [no i have no idea how this would work]) where you get given a lvl 21 (or similar character) and quite a lot of money, say 30-50k. So you can pump some stats, get some good gear and actually do something :)
Ofc, this would be for a limited period of time

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 11:45:30 pm »
+1
That would mean 2 weeks no crpg for me?
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline owens

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 12:15:09 am »
^lol. I call bull shit
PK is back

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 04:05:41 am »
+1
Another thing helping newbies would be a server you can only join up till generation 3 or something. Or maybe a server where score for hits is scaled with the difference in character levels and equipment value, so that a level 7 peasant killing a knight gets a lot of score, but a knight killing the peasant gets none.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 08:06:51 pm »
+1
Peasant wars, god yes!
Monkeys!

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 08:14:13 pm »
Why would and australian (with the smallest cRPG community) even care for a even battleground?

Offline Elmokki

• Count
  • Renown: 192
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: United democratic national whatever
  • Game nicks: elmokki_Krokotiili
  • IRC nick: Elmokki
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 08:48:55 pm »
If you want players you should just make the first 15 to 20 levels a shitton faster than they are. Yes, they are quite fast already, but they are not fun for someone who is not skilled in the game. People should be able to get into the game fast and be at least somewhat competetive. They'll be horrible at the combat anyway, but at least if they hit they won't just be guaranteed to glance.

Someone will answer with "lol, STF", but there's a big difference in playing a character that actually develops and STF. Besides, STF isn't exactly obvious the way it's named and placed etc.

Anecdotal evidence is terrible, but I have a friend who has played singleplayer and some Napoleonic Wars before. He tried cRPG - he even played a few hours - but he is quite bad at manually blocking, feinting etc and when you combine that with horrible stats (and gear before I gave some money) that make you quite useless even if you manage to hit someone it just wasn't fun.

EDIT: Someone's suggestion about limited time 1 per cdkey level 21 chars with extra money was pretty great. Hell, anyone playing their first gen should start like that imo.