Author Topic: Ballista  (Read 3699 times)

Offline Torost

• Count
  • Renown: 292
  • Infamy: 109
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Ballista
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2012, 10:58:15 am »
Ballistas would be great fun.Should be part of the map , not deployable or movable.  One player to man it and reload it. unlimited ammo, and long reload time(20 seconds ish)
500 pierce dmg (Oneshots all players and horses , and does good damage versus destroyable structures.)
 60 missile speed (3 more than the current MW arbalest).

Would open up a whole lot of new opertunities for mapmakers. Esp for Siege.

Offline Knitler

• Earl
  • Renown: 456
  • Infamy: 91
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Worlds Cutest Dictator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2012, 12:26:37 pm »
+6
You shall know that theres actually ballista ingame (cRPG) .... not useable yet but the textures and meshes are in.

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Offline Ozin

• Duke
  • Renown: 584
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • IRC nick: Ozin
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2012, 01:38:40 pm »
+6
Actually it is useable, though it isn't polished or balanced. Edit a map and add the ballista prop (only the scene prop that has the full model, not the individual parts!), run it on a (local) dedicated server in siege alpha mode.

Offline Shpritza

• Count
  • Renown: 279
  • Infamy: 42
    • View Profile
    • STEAM
  • Game nicks: Shpritza
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2012, 02:28:40 pm »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

What if ballistas were to be added to the mod? I theorise that they would be placeable, like seige sheilds. They would use the cross-bow weapon proficency, and would have a certain amount of health before they were destroyed. Probably less than a construction site, but more than a seige sheild.
     It would take up 3 slots of inventory space, and they would have their own ballista bolts, taking up 1 slot, leaving our brave ballister with a nice, 0-slot hammer. They would do quite a lot of damage, and be very accurate, but however, once they are placed, they cannot be moved.
     Think of how the addition of something like this would change seige, or DTV? I understand that it may be just me who feels this way, and none of you guys agree. Or we might all think that this is an awsome idea! Please, +1 or -1 on how you feel.

+1, Yes please.
trust no one, question everything

Offline Andy

• Count
  • Renown: 274
  • Infamy: 253
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Snow_King
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2012, 08:03:22 pm »
You shall know that theres actually ballista ingame (cRPG) .... not useable yet but the textures and meshes are in.

(click to show/hide)
The dev's secret project...

Offline Prinz_Karl

• Earl
  • Renown: 383
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Fridericus_II
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2012, 10:26:50 pm »
Actually it is useable, though it isn't polished or balanced. Edit a map and add the ballista prop (only the scene prop that has the full model, not the individual parts!), run it on a (local) dedicated server in siege alpha mode.

Those weapons can't be balanced. They add a completely new type of arms to battle and siege, which is artillery. Artillery is only usuable in strat right now where it's only used to destory walls. If it's used to fire on infantry the side who uses more of them has a huge advantage because it's superior to archers and it will be most likely defended so that melee soldiers and cavalry can't come close to it and will exposed to the weapon.

Artillery that can one shot will be the decisive factor if it's implemented in battle and the teams will restrict their tactics on the use of it. If the battle is to remain balanced there shouldn't be more than cavalry and infantry (melee and range).

It's like adding war elephants to the game. That would be simply amazing but infantry and cavalry would take long time to adjust to it.

Offline Tomas_of_Miles

• Count
  • Renown: 263
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
  • Inactive
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rusty mercenary siege engineer
  • Game nicks: Something with Tomas in it
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2012, 11:51:34 pm »
Those weapons can't be balanced. They add a completely new type of arms to battle and siege, which is artillery. Artillery is only usuable in strat right now where it's only used to destory walls. If it's used to fire on infantry the side who uses more of them has a huge advantage because it's superior to archers and it will be most likely defended so that melee soldiers and cavalry can't come close to it and will exposed to the weapon.

Artillery that can one shot will be the decisive factor if it's implemented in battle and the teams will restrict their tactics on the use of it. If the battle is to remain balanced there shouldn't be more than cavalry and infantry (melee and range).

It's like adding war elephants to the game. That would be simply amazing but infantry and cavalry would take long time to adjust to it.

Catapults still one shot people as far as I know. And whenever we built one on battle it was never well defended. I assume this would be quicker to build than a catapult, have a less dramatic arc, and be easier to aim. However if it can't move it will be very vulnerable.
Professional poop cleaner

Offline Weewum

• Count
  • Renown: 159
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2012, 11:57:40 pm »
Catapults still one shot people as far as I know. And whenever we built one on battle it was never well defended. I assume this would be quicker to build than a catapult, have a less dramatic arc, and be easier to aim. However if it can't move it will be very vulnerable.
Possibly remove damage to walls also, to replace it in sieges.

Offline genric

• Baron
  • Renown: 102
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: HG_Genric, HG_Sentry_GenRic, A_Chilies, Beastasaurus
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2012, 01:17:33 am »
+3
Would it have pierce through? So if you placed it on a wall and fired down it you would kill everyone in a line? If so limit it to only a couple people. Also maybe have a limit to how far it can turn in a direction so it can't fire down ladders or really near the castle wall. Also make it turn slowly so you can't lead a particular target but aim for where people are going and hope it hits there would be best I think.
I am the shadow that lingers in your wake. I am four steps behind and two before you. You are trapped. Always.
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Ozin

• Duke
  • Renown: 584
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • IRC nick: Ozin
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2012, 03:13:25 am »
+5
Piercing already works on it, but it loses momentum for every body it moves through. I think I'll make the bolts lose momentum over distance as well. Needs to be balanced.
I was thinking of making it placeable by map makers for siege mode and strat. It would be destructible and will respawn after round end. Only a few per map, if any.

Offline Haboe

• King
  • Renown: 1090
  • Infamy: 331
  • Born with a shield on my back. Difficult birth.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Haboe
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2012, 03:14:24 am »
I want this...

Ill try this

Anyone knows other mods where it is implemented? (or the battering ram is, i heard le devs wanna get that at some point as well)

Offline Andy

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2012, 06:23:58 am »
The ballista for balance reasons would not 1-shot anybody but peasants with no armor, although it would do a lot of damage, but above all, it should not be something that is built from a construction site. It should either be already built into the map, or placeable like seige sheilds.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 08:17:52 pm by Andy »

Offline Haboe

• King
  • Renown: 1090
  • Infamy: 331
  • Born with a shield on my back. Difficult birth.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Haboe
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2012, 12:32:34 pm »
It should be made from consites. And it should 1hit heavy armors.

As you suggest it its gonna be a s strong as the arbalest (which is crap), and easy to place, i don't think high upkeep is a valid compensation for that.

It should be made from a consite, that way you won't be able to spam them instant (5 ppl all with the thing can instantly set it up as you say).

Remove the relatively high damage arrows and bolts have on a catapult for example, and make this balista a good counter for it. Will be primarily a strategus thing, like all other consite builds.

Offline Andy

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2012, 11:54:19 pm »
+5
If UNASSIGNED was here, he would support ballistas...

Offline Ubereem

• Count
  • Renown: 197
  • Infamy: 115
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2012, 12:46:50 am »
+1
I vaguely recall looking at the scene editor and seeing crpg_ballista or something like that.
yep it was added some months ago
Jackson And No Bank