Author Topic: Star Citizen  (Read 112655 times)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2998
  • Infamy: 590
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Re: Star Citizen
« Reply #1155 on: December 20, 2015, 01:15:03 pm »
EVE is a fucking RTS in space with models that count hundreds to few thousands polygons, without modeled interior. Game like Warband running in multiplayer with 300 people fighting each other or FPS like Planetside 2 are true marvels of engineering. EVE is not, because there is nothing "action" about that game. EVE is overhyped garbage that appeals to same kind of autistic people who put thousands of dollars each into train-wreck called Star Citizen.

That being said, they are selling 50 crew ships in Star Citizen, 700 meters long. Dunno what's going in heads of people buying that, do they not see how much game struggles with basic multicrew ships? How they expect 50 people manning one ship on one side and another 50 on another side will work? I'll tell you right now, it just fucking wont. Scam at its best.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #1156 on: December 20, 2015, 02:09:49 pm »
Ah nvm i read the stuff wrong, when i read the multiplayer part, i thought that would be the only multiplayer part. Instanced battles, but if it plays like an mmo openworld persistant stuff etc, then ill probably check it out when its done.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: December 20, 2015, 02:17:25 pm »
Ah nvm i read the stuff wrong, when i read the multiplayer part, i thought that would be the only multiplayer part. Instanced battles, but if it plays like an mmo openworld persistant stuff etc, then ill probably check it out when its done.
Yes, the instances are just servers, basically, but it's not quite that simple. Instances can interact, so say you've got a full instance with 60 players in it, the players will be able to smoothly move into the next instance, or even shoot into it. It's just the way they're going to handle the amount of players at the fidelity they want, it's a persistent MMO in essence.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline AntiBlitz

• Duke
  • Renown: 636
  • Infamy: 187
  • cRPG Player
  • American Scum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: December 20, 2015, 03:47:51 pm »
+1
EVE is a fucking RTS in space with models that count hundreds to few thousands polygons, without modeled interior. Game like Warband running in multiplayer with 300 people fighting each other or FPS like Planetside 2 are true marvels of engineering. EVE is not, because there is nothing "action" about that game. EVE is overhyped garbage that appeals to same kind of autistic people who put thousands of dollars each into train-wreck called Star Citizen.

That being said, they are selling 50 crew ships in Star Citizen, 700 meters long. Dunno what's going in heads of people buying that, do they not see how much game struggles with basic multicrew ships? How they expect 50 people manning one ship on one side and another 50 on another side will work? I'll tell you right now, it just fucking wont. Scam at its best.

yes because having $300,000.00 in ships in a game lost with 8k players participating in a battle that lasted 22hours is nothin but overhyped trash.

(click to show/hide)

have you ever played eve online?  a single fleet commander can have like 300 dudes under his control, and thats just the limitation in game, not mentioning the delegation that goes on through teamspeak.  Them selling a ship like that will easily work.

really makes me want to start up playing eve again, fucking loved that game.  lol, look at my gay ass characters smug look!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 04:03:49 pm by AntiBlitz »

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 178
  • Infamy: 2393
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: December 20, 2015, 04:15:25 pm »

Currently there is very little persistence, that's ongoing process (according to them). Grand idea is huge universe where servers will calculate bunch of stuff, take care of AI, missions, economy, non player objects and record changes thus allowing persistence. Due to technical limitations and gameplay design decisions, massive battles will not be possible. Game is currently in alpha, has max player count per instance of 16 players and it literally falls apart and rip servers to shreds every time those 16 players activate missions which spawn AI. They claimed it will be possible to support up to 100 players per one instance and that changing instances will be done differently than in other games. Game will feature (according to them) bunch of AI (10 NPCs per one player) but you'll still meet other players regularly, which is a bit of a pipe dream in Elite: Dangerous.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1598
  • Infamy: 768
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: December 20, 2015, 04:21:44 pm »
yes because having $300,000.00 in ships in a game lost with 8k players participating in a battle that lasted 22hours is nothin but overhyped trash.

When you put it that way, no it is not just overhyped trash. It is serious mental disease in making, on par with playing Strategus Kesh-style. Doesn't even surprise me that Star Citizen came so far. They sold me a dream, FPS in space yadda yadda. But I wasn't willing to pay thousands for that dream. Those who did came straight from madness you explained so well in one sentence. Twenty-two hours online battle lol. Please tell them to make it five times longer next time so they drop dead from exhaustion, that way making this planet a favor.

Offline AntiBlitz

• Duke
  • Renown: 636
  • Infamy: 187
  • cRPG Player
  • American Scum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: December 20, 2015, 04:47:34 pm »
Those who did came straight from madness you explained so well in one sentence. Twenty-two hours online battle lol. Please tell them to make it five times longer next time so they drop dead from exhaustion
From the developers of Eve Online, CCP.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2622
  • Infamy: 2229
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: December 20, 2015, 05:06:52 pm »
I don't blame them. If I was born and living in Iceland, would probably be even weirder than I'm currently. People living in desolate places like that tend to seek friendship over Internet more than other folks living in cities. That perfectly explains their focus on PvP. If you think I'm talking bullshit, aren't bunch of you living in small towns and villages as well? No way this community would be full of urban people, they don't give two fucks about medieval crap.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: December 20, 2015, 05:10:38 pm »

Like AntiBlitz said, EVE online has massive battles with groups extremely large, with coordination tools making it possible to have actual tactics.

For this reason, I think the 50 human player a crew ship's on Star Citizen is doable, provided every seat is entertaining/useful enough, and the playerbase is sufficient. There is clans of literaly hundreds of players in all the most sucessful massive MMO, so having 50 of your people man your ship is not completely impossible for those that want to do it.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 851
  • Infamy: 2476
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: December 20, 2015, 06:24:20 pm »
There is good design and seemingly good ideas. Reason why Star Citizen took off is because they sold us those ideas, which people think can translate into good design. You know that thing chadz said about balance between realism and fun?

Multicrew ships are neat idea that sounds awesome in our minds, because that is how thing would work in real life. However, in video game that usually blows or makes a little sense. Like playing FIFA with 11 players each controlling one player. Is it fun? Can be. Is it better thing to do than playing alone vs another player where both of you control whole team? I don't think so.

In game it will always be better controlling huge ships alone, with full NPC crew because AI crewman will most likely be less taxing on performance thus allowing player organization to cram more ships into one instance. As it stands currently, having bunch of fighters is much more effective than having fewer big ships. They have to make really lousy AI in order to player controlled turret, shields and other systems be more efficient than those NPC controlled. Because most players are damn stupid and aren't willing to sit in a turret or at engineers desk for prolonged periods of time while someone else is playing "hero" and taking the accolades. Bottom line, multicrew idea will blow in practice and most players aside from hardcore RPers will abandon it. Which is good, because Star Citizen needs great AI. People who are part of SC community seem to have very few friends and because of their cultist nature they tend to alienate existing ones.

After you give it a slight thought you can figure out that many ideas they pursue in Star Citizen are downright stupid and won't be fun in the long run.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 1921
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: December 21, 2015, 12:51:43 am »

As always, Scott Manley making games look better then they actually are. It all depends on competency of a player. In comparison, Chris Roberts made it look like a turd...

If you're into Star Citizen twitch streamers, check for older British gentleman named Bod. For some reasons, Brits are way better at this game than Americans.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: December 21, 2015, 04:29:03 am »
After you give it a slight thought you can figure out that many ideas they pursue in Star Citizen are downright stupid and won't be fun in the long run.
Says you. Pretty much everyone else loves the idea of multicrew, and these other ideas that you've decided in your elite game designer mind aren't going to work. There'll definitely be enough roles for at least three to four people, active roles that are interesting. And we haven't even seen what EWAR will look like, and repairs, and the other things they have planned.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2805
  • Infamy: 2977
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: December 21, 2015, 02:09:30 pm »
They love it because it is novelty, which will wear off soon. Just like that depressurization chamber you have to go through every time you leave or enter space station. Don't you hate it by now?

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: December 21, 2015, 02:21:25 pm »
They love it because it is novelty, which will wear off soon. Just like that depressurization chamber you have to go through every time you leave or enter space station. Don't you hate it by now?
No. It takes like two seconds, and makes for interesting chokepoints.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 829
  • Infamy: 1331
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: December 21, 2015, 02:32:55 pm »
They should add ventilation shafts to them stations.