Author Topic: Windows 8 VS c-RPG  (Read 4873 times)

Offline BD_Baby_Wolf

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Boobs!
    • View Profile
    • Arideas
  • Faction: Guards
  • Game nicks: Guard_BD_Baby_Wolf
Windows 8 VS c-RPG
« on: October 08, 2012, 01:22:18 pm »
+8
So i finally installed c-RPG on my Win8 pro and i would like to share the experience with you guys, so you'll have a clearer picture of what it's like.

First of all, i would like to tell you about advantages of Win8 over Win7:
The first thing that comes into mind is the new improved memory usage. It's just much more clean and less greedy :) Better drivers support, of-course and SPEED!
On my Win7 ultimate i would click on the visual studio 2012 icon and go make a coffee.. for everybody... But not on win8! It fires up MS software about 5 times faster and I am not exaggerating!
But, as it's usual with MS along with the good stuff comes the shit... You would sometimes disconnect from the internet for no particular reason and need to restart the PC :/ Sometimes disconnecting LAN cable might work, but most of the time it won't. And there's this Metro UI... God damn it! It turns your PC into a weird Android device with about the same functionality (colorful buttons, internet and calculator).
Also in the final release it's nos so easy to turn it off as it was on customer/developer preview version.

Now for the cRPG part:
While playing on maximum settings (no v. sync), on win7 i would sometimes get those annoying freezes and my fps would drop down to 30 :/ On win8 I dont get that as often, the minimum fps i got so far was 90, which makes a HUGE difference. In terms of MP I get much less lag and hit-through-block, then i would get on win7, but sometime i teleport for like 10 feet or so. So i can't really tell you that in this term it's that much better.

So, I'm not really sure whether I'll switch completely to win8 yet, but if you get the chance to try it out for free, i suggest you do it, just for the fun of it. As for myself, I wouldn't buy it. I got it for free via MSDN subscription (along with a lot of other software :P )

I'll also try c-RPG on Ubuntu 12.10 when it comes out, so stay tuned :)

Screenshots:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 05:06:31 pm by BD_Baby_Wolf »
Augment your reality, the easy way!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Armpit_Sweat

• High Lord of the Spam
  • King
  • Renown: 1417
  • Infamy: 154
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Armpit_Sweat, My_horses_name_is_Rebecca
Re: Windows 8 VS c-RPG
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 01:28:48 pm »
  Spam at The Temple of Spam

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 01:30:06 pm »
+1
And there's this Metro UI... God damn it! It turns your PC into a weird Android device with about the same functionality (colorful buttons, internet and calculator).
Also in the final release it's nos so easy to turn it off as it was on customer/developer preview version.

You might try this: http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/ to get the startmenu back in Win 8 and disable the metro screen.
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline BD_Baby_Wolf

• Baron
  • Boobs!
    • View Profile
    • Arideas
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 01:34:01 pm »
+1
You might try this: http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/ to get the startmenu back in Win 8 and disable the metro screen.

already downloaded it :) but i'll have to reboot into win8 to use it, and i just dont feel like it right now :P

Offline Latrinenkobold

• Earl
  • Renown: 332
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Stop the nerfs
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hagur
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 03:59:40 pm »
+1
I got Vista and everything runns smooth since 3 years.

No freezes/ fps 150 +

Though my pc is very slow these days because its really stuffed ...

Every corner in my pc is stuffed with things i will never use nor need.

Even on my windows plate is just 30 gb left even though i didnt install anything but some minor programms there....

It reaches maximum loadout when playing crpg which is crazy because my pc theoraticly could run crpg like 4 times at once :D

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 04:13:59 pm »
+3
Every single time Microsoft releases a new OS people say "it's so much faster"

But really it's only a matter of time until your pc becomes crowded with unwanted software, a bloated registry and zillions of things to do when you login.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 04:47:56 pm »
+3
But really it's only a matter of time until your pc becomes crowded with unwanted software, a bloated registry and zillions of things to do when you login.

That is, if you are unable to keep your computer clean. Everyone else enjoys pretty much the same "speed" for years.

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 04:47:58 pm »
+1
Every single time Microsoft releases a new OS people say "it's so much faster"

Well I tried Windows 8 for work in a VMWare and I have to admit, it really feels smoother than previous versions. And thats not only because its a fresh install. Personally I'll stay with Win7 for a while, I give Win8 a try in some months maybe, not before. And I don't like that Metro stuff... its shit on a non-touch-device.
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 04:51:25 pm »
+1
That is, if you are unable to keep your computer clean. Everyone else enjoys pretty much the same "speed" for years.

But why does it has to tear down everything if I actually want all this shit ? I don't remember UNIX-based systems having the same flaw.

I'm honest, everything I don't actually need I keep on removing, I just want to keep a lot of things.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 04:54:53 pm »
+7
But why does it has to tear down everything if I actually want all this shit ? I don't remember UNIX-based systems having the same flaw.

It has nothing to do with the system, it's the application developer's fault for releasing bloated pieces of shit, abusing auto-startup/services and creating uninstallers that don't remove everything.
With Linux it's slightly better because of package management, making it harder for developers to do damage.

Offline BD_Baby_Wolf

• Baron
  • Boobs!
    • View Profile
    • Arideas
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 05:08:24 pm »
+1
It has nothing to do with the system, it's the application developer's fault for releasing bloated pieces of shit, abusing auto-startup/services and creating uninstallers that don't remove everything.
With Linux it's slightly better because of package management, making it harder for developers to do damage.

even much more better with Apple :) they actually test those apps through out before they let you release them.

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 05:10:43 pm »
+1

Amen

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 05:15:54 pm »
+1
Well I tried Windows 8 for work in a VMWare and I have to admit, it really feels smoother than previous versions. And thats not only because its a fresh install. Personally I'll stay with Win7 for a while, I give Win8 a try in some months maybe, not before. And I don't like that Metro stuff... its shit on a non-touch-device.
This.
I was thinking about testing 8 in VMWare too since I can get it for free from my University but I found out that the Pro version is atm only available in English... Until I can get a German Pro version I won't even think about touching it. I am lazy that way...  8-)
Besides, maybe waiting for the first service pack for 8 would be smart move. Haven't really decided yet. Not to mention that my 7 is running just fine right now and as we all know "Never change a running system!"

Using Linux only for the Latex/TexLive-Systen really, already have VMWare running... still... lazy!  :mrgreen:
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • Renown: 672
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Rhekimos
  • IRC nick: Rhekimos
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 05:18:46 pm »
+1
The speed in booting up MS software probably comes from the OS always keeping the files required in memory or cache.

Offline Silicium

• Count
  • Renown: 255
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A pilgrim
  • Game nicks: Silicium_The_Pilgrim, Silicium
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 05:27:37 pm »
+1
Going to wait a bit before buying it, i read that the current version is somewhat unstable at times and that they just wanted to release it as soon as possible.
One degree makes all the differencevisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Cymro on Phase application for Merc