Poll

Which european nation has the greatest history and was the most powerful?

Great Britain
France
Italy
Spain
Greece
Germany
Denmark
Ireland
Portugal
Austria
Russia
Other...
Christmas Island :)

Author Topic: Who is really the greatest european nation?  (Read 50593 times)

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
Re: Who is really the greatest european nation?
« Reply #150 on: January 10, 2013, 03:26:37 pm »
Greece, land of the many tourists.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #151 on: January 12, 2013, 04:00:09 am »
Oh great a thread for people to splurge nationalist sentiments at one another...
Turtles

Offline Panos

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 1319
  • Infamy: 551
  • cRPG Player
  • Hate for 2h kuyak my old friends.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Varangian Guard
  • Game nicks: Varangian_Panos
  • IRC nick: Panos
« Reply #152 on: January 12, 2013, 11:53:30 am »
+4
Oh great a thread for people to splurge nationalist sentiments at one another...

YOU CULTURE IS MR.BEAN

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #153 on: January 12, 2013, 09:28:53 pm »
+4
bean is best

i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline darmaster

• King
  • Renown: 1398
  • Infamy: 297
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguards
  • Game nicks: Retsamrad
« Reply #154 on: April 17, 2013, 10:52:06 pm »
hmm.. the greatest european nation it's hard to tell, but i could tell you what nation provided the most important (and probably the best) changes, which is roman empire (laws, latin, culture, and ofc the empire..). the strongest european; i'm not sure, undecided among england, roman empire, maybe even chocolate chip cookie german (probably not) or spanish/german empire (holy roman shit, though not really strong); these are the strongest imo.

edit: lol almost forgot, USSR also
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 11:12:02 pm by darmaster »

Offline darmaster

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 17, 2013, 10:57:08 pm »
Well, if you speak about nations, Italy shouldn't be on that list imo , Italy became a nation/was unified only in the 2nd half of the 19th century  (1861 if i remeber well, and Rome was annexed only in 1870). 
Italy is one of the youngest nation in Europe, one could say that also Germany was unified around that period, but the main difference is that Italy was "divided" for like 1500 years, and the Holy Roman empire (or "Holy Roman empire of the German-ic nation" or something like that) lasted until 1800, while  Italy , or better, the Italic peninsula, was completely fragmented in many states/kingdoms etc...  it's not a case that in italy there are so many different dialects.

I think nations like France, England-GB, Spain ( Spain is quite  culturally diverse. I woulnd't be   suprised, for example, if Catalonia would become fully indipenent in the future. Anyway Spain was politically unified many centuries before italy and other nations. ), Austria-Hungary and  Germany, definetly   played  a more important role in Europe and not only. ( at least since late middle ages till modern era).

Voted England-GB

Greatest Ancient-Old civilizations : Ancient Greeks, Romans and Celts

totally agree, but talking about "nations" may allow him to use italy as word to represent us, since, since roman empire, an idea of "italian nation" existed.

Offline Panos

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 18, 2013, 01:18:52 pm »
hmm.. the greatest european nation it's hard to tell, but i could tell you what nation provided the most important (and probably the best) changes, which is roman empire (laws, latin, culture, and ofc the empire..). the strongest european; i'm not sure, undecided among england, roman empire, maybe even chocolate chip cookie german (probably not) or spanish/german empire (holy roman shit, though not really strong); these are the strongest imo.

edit: lol almost forgot, USSR also

Dude, roman empire was built on the foundations of Alexander`s empire, after his death, his successors started fighting each other and the romans owned them all easily because they were weak.

Also, 90% of roman laws, culture and other stuff, was inspired by Greeks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Greece

educate yourself.

Offline Garond_PL

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ...
  • Game nicks: Harmeus Mora,Vladislav Jagiello,No_Ketchup
« Reply #157 on: April 18, 2013, 01:22:13 pm »
Greatest history : Poland/Lithuania , Russia and Germany (HRE - emperors fighting with pope and electors)

Offline darmaster

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 20, 2013, 02:31:01 pm »
Dude, roman empire was built on the foundations of Alexander`s empire, after his death, his successors started fighting each other and the romans owned them all easily because they were weak.

Also, 90% of roman laws, culture and other stuff, was inspired by Greeks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Greece

educate yourself.

wowo are you serious? roman laws taken from greeks? only thing was taken from greeks was literature, phylosophy and art, things that alone can't build a great empire; the greatness of rome wasn't built thanks to greeks. 
also, i can tell you that alexander could do what he did only because the persian empire (where alexander found his wealth and managed to conquer lands) was lead by idiots, and noone but macedonians were strong enough in those times; on the other hand you can't say that romans were the only one enough strong, since they defeated carthage that was lead by the greatest strategist of all time, hannibal.

i may need to educate myself as everyone, always, needs to, but panos, you need to look over your nationalism.

i also would like to add that amazing things like aqueducts and roads were made by romans not thanks to greeks.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 06:51:40 pm by darmaster »

Offline Panos

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 20, 2013, 02:45:24 pm »
wowo are you serious? roman laws taken from greeks? only thing was taken from greeks was literature, phylosophy and art, things that alone can't build a great empire; the greatness of rome wasn't built thanks to greeks. 
also, i can tell you that alexander could do what he did only because the persian empire (where alexander found his wealth and managed to conquer lands) was lead by idiots, and noone but macedonians were strong enough in those times; on the other hand you can't say that romans were enough strong, since they defeated carthage that was lead by the greatest strategist of all time, hannibal.

i may need to educate myself as everyone, always, needs to, but panos, you need to look over your nationalism.

i also would like to add that amazing things like aqueducts and roads were made by romans not thanks to greeks.

Inspired and Taken are two different words.

Alexander attacked the Persians because he wanted revenge from them, Xerxes was no idiot, he had millions of soldiers, on the other hand, Alexander conquered Persia with 40~k Greeks, now that must be something.

Also, Ceaser and Napoleon used tactics inspired by Alexander first.
and also a great leader is not only the one that wins wars, but the one that spreads culture and civil rights to other countries.

Alexander was named Faraoh, and there are a lot of cities with his name.

You may want to rethink who is the best Strategist of all time..

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #160 on: April 20, 2013, 03:33:09 pm »
nope hes too gay to be of any note
Turtles

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 20, 2013, 03:47:32 pm »
What does the option "other..." stands for?
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline darmaster

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 20, 2013, 06:46:35 pm »

Alexander attacked the Persians because he wanted revenge from them, Xerxes was no idiot, he had millions of soldiers, on the other hand, Alexander conquered Persia with 40~k Greeks, now that must be something.

and also a great leader is not only the one that wins wars, but the one that spreads culture and civil rights to other countries.

hmm not really; xerses didn't fight with alexander since he died long time before; alexander was a great leader with charm, but he didn't fight at all for revenge, he fought because of his lust. as i said he was an inspiring leader, as people like napoleon or gengis khan were, but the politycal system he left wasn't totally that good: in fact, as you said, his empire has been split up and fell down easily after his death, while roman empire (for long time republic) lasted for almost 1000 years. also he didn't spread out any culture, on the other side he got conquered by eastern culture (he was divinizing himself).

i'm pretty sure that hannibal barça has been the greatest strategist of all time, and i'm also sure alexander wasn't.

Offline Fringe

• Baron
  • Renown: 119
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Blackfist T.T
  • Game nicks: Fringe, Bane, Bane_of_Fringe
« Reply #163 on: April 20, 2013, 07:40:10 pm »

Alexanders antagonist...if even that, was Darius. Also he wasn't inspired by vengeance, but with lust and at the beginning; national prejudice.

On a second note, I don't believe Caesar was ever inspired by Alexander. They came from two different cultures with different beliefs, views, etc. Napoleon on the other hand was a student of military history I believe. I don't know who his heroes were, but Alexander could have been on of them.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 11:35:30 pm by Fringe »
Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #164 on: April 20, 2013, 08:11:02 pm »
Also, i may not agree with the whole post, but dis ship :')You won't understand if you're American, we don't salute to our flag, we don't pledge our allegiance to the state every day at school from a young age, you could quite frankly wipe your ass on the Union Jack and i wouldn't mind, i'd find it amusing. But if you fuck with my precious Victory then i'll full-on pull your arm off and beat you to death with the bloody stump Beowulf style.

10x this!