Author Topic: Do Bodkin arrows actually give 0 damage?  (Read 4314 times)

Offline Black_Winged_One

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Do Bodkin arrows actually give 0 damage?
« on: October 06, 2012, 10:32:23 pm »
+1
If so, what's the point of them?

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
Re: Do Bodkin arrows actually give 0 damage?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 10:34:04 pm »
+23
they do turn your bows damage into pierce instead of cut,  which works against armor more.
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 818
  • Infamy: 85
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "Bloody peasant archers!"
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Head)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tenne; Guard_The_Biscuits; Guard_Bugden; Guard_Tennenuff
  • IRC nick: Tennenoth
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 10:35:42 pm »
+18
Arrows add damage and dictate the type of damage they do.

So, Bodkins will deal pierce damage, but add no extra damage to the bow. So, what Torben said.

BullDog Clan member since 31/08/2010 / Caravan Guild member since 03/08/2010

How to understand what I say.
Always finish your tea and biscuits regardless of how terrible they are

Offline Haboe

• King
  • Renown: 1090
  • Infamy: 331
  • Born with a shield on my back. Difficult birth.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Haboe
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 10:37:41 pm »
+25
Let me also explain it and repeat exactly what torben says.

They do turn your bows damage into pierce instead of cut,  which works against armor more.

Offline Torben

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 10:40:14 pm »
+13
you are good sports indeed,   I for one will +1 anyone who proceeds in clarifying this!
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 10:43:11 pm »
+13
They do turn your bows damage into pierce instead of cut,  which works against armor more.

1+ me please.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 10:43:30 pm »
+42
Normal arrow

Bodkin arrow

I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 10:44:39 pm »
+10
Essentially, the ammunition type changes your output damage to whatever damage type the ammunition is, regardless of what the bow damage type is, thus Cut arrows will deal cut damage while Pierce arrows (as in Bodkins) will deal pierce damage which is far superior to opponents or targets with a great deal of armor, so yes indeed Bodkin arrows reward zero additional damage and are thus worse against light armored targets while being much more deadly against heavily armored targets.

Join the Fallen Brigade today.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Torben

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 10:52:43 pm »
+4

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 10:56:28 pm »
+4
seaky ^^

I thought so ^^

Join the Fallen Brigade Today
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 10:59:22 pm »
+30
Bodkin Arrows were invented by Mr. Bodkin. He lived during the Middle Ages and was a woodworker. Sometimes he went through the woods and laughed about the bears there.
Those bears had simple bows and used sticks as arrows. Those arrows obviously didn't really work against the bees. Too well equipped those bees didn't care about the sticks hitting their beehive. Peeing down, the bees could watch the dumb bears and make jokes about them.
One day the bears noticed Mr. Bodkin behind a bush who was heavily laughing. He laughed for hours and finally went blue and brown. The bears never ate meat so they thought about a solution to get rid of that blue-brown thingie on the ground. Finally the Elder of the bears found a solution and poked the corpse with one of the arrow sticks.
With a lot of strength the stick got stuck in the rotting meat and broken bones. The strongest of the bear warriors picked the arrow up and drew the bow. It took a while until he found out how to use the stick with the corpse at the end. He drew the bow for hours and finally loosed it, taking aim at the beehive.
The bees looked at it, shocked. They already knew about Mr. Bodkin. Important to know is that Mr. Bodkin was full of scars, with lots of pointy ends - those could damage the beehive heavily and end the Kingdom of bees. The bee queen asked for her queensguard and sent out her best riders to charge down and attack the bears.
The battle took for hours but suddenly the loosened arrow with the bodkinhead ended up in the beehive, destroying the home of the bees. The explosion and penetration was that high and heavy, that the woods burned. Life in the woods ended, but at the end of the day, the Bodkin arrows were invented.

Bodkin arrows do cause more damage to heavy armor, less to light gear. So if you face someone in plate, better use bodkin arrows. For any other kind of armor, tatar and barbed arrows are the better choice.
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Haboe

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 11:04:38 pm »
+8
Bodkin Arrows were invented by Mr. Bodkin. He lived during the Middle Ages and was a woodworker. Sometimes he went through the woods and laughed about the bears there.
Those bears had simple bows and used sticks as arrows. Those arrows obviously didn't really work against the bees. Too well equipped those bees didn't care about the sticks hitting their beehive. Peeing down, the bees could watch the dumb bears and make jokes about them.
One day the bears noticed Mr. Bodkin behind a bush who was heavily laughing. He laughed for hours and finally went blue and brown. The bears never ate meat so they thought about a solution to get rid of that blue-brown thingie on the ground. Finally the Elder of the bears found a solution and poked the corpse with one of the arrow sticks.
With a lot of strength the stick got stuck in the rotting meat and broken bones. The strongest of the bear warriors picked the arrow up and drew the bow. It took a while until he found out how to use the stick with the corpse at the end. He drew the bow for hours and finally loosed it, taking aim at the beehive.
The bees looked at it, shocked. They already knew about Mr. Bodkin. Important to know is that Mr. Bodkin was full of scars, with lots of pointy ends - those could damage the beehive heavily and end the Kingdom of bees. The bee queen asked for her queensguard and sent out her best riders to charge down and attack the bears.
The battle took for hours but suddenly the loosened arrow with the bodkinhead ended up in the beehive, destroying the home of the bees. The explosion and penetration was that high and heavy, that the woods burned. Life in the woods ended, but at the end of the day, the Bodkin arrows were invented.

Bodkin arrows do cause more damage to heavy armor, less to light gear. So if you face someone in plate, better use bodkin arrows. For any other kind of armor, tatar and barbed arrows are the better choice.

Too much effort has been spend in this.
Thats not how you do this, you must still be a renown virgin, most of these guys are Pro renownwhores, carefull not to catch an RTD1 while interacting with them.

*1 Renown transmitted disease

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 11:07:09 pm »
+15
Thats the introduction of my new book.
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Haboe

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 11:08:35 pm »
+8
Thats the introduction of my new book.

Thats more like it. +1

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 11:13:32 pm »
+7
Real renown whores make some thread in the off topic section ('cuss mods are less likely to move something from off topic to spam), then, they all post, and they all 1+ each other, then they all post again, and 1+ each other, then, they all post again...
...and that's how kings are crowned...
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.