Author Topic: Riddles - Play and win cRPG gold!  (Read 14423 times)

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
Re: Riddles - Play and win cRPG gold!
« Reply #135 on: October 11, 2012, 06:20:06 pm »
[UNSOLVED 80k (+10k from finuard)] (literature) In a very famous play the actors say "Something is rotten in the state of Denmark" and "Heaven will direct it". What do those actors refer to?

The actors refer to with "Something is rotten in the state of Denmark" that the top of the political hierarchy is not going well and is used as an image
the fish is rotting from the head down
"Heaven will direct it" points to death, the Ghost of the king / Hamlets father appears before him "Heaven will direct it" gives an image that people will die.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 15, 2012, 06:30:21 pm »
New riddle :

You meet three dwarfs. Some (any number in [0,3]) of them have a golden ring but you can't see it because they all have gloves.
Each dwarf likes exaclty two dwarves, possibly including himself.
All the dwarves that like themselves are liars, all the others are honest (they will always say "no" when an honest dwarf would say "yes" and inversely).

• Thorin says he has no golden ring. Opposite : he has a golden ring
  • Thorin says that Dekar doesn't like Bror. Opposite : Dekar likes Bror
  • Thorin says that 2 or 3 dwarves like Dekar. Opposite : Up to one dwarf likes Dekar
  • Bror says he doesn't like dwarves that like themselves. Opposite : he likes dwarves that like themselves
  • Bror says that he likes those that don't like themselves. Opposite : he doesn't like dwarves that don't like themselves
  • Dekar says that Bror doesn't like Thorin or doesn't like Dekar. Opposite : Bror likes both Thorin and Dekar
  • Dekar says those that are liked by everybody have a golden ring. Opposite : those that are not liked by everybody have a golden ring

Who has a golden ring ?

The first person posting the correct answer in this thread gets 30k (directly from me :D )

(edit : forgot some things)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 11:50:51 pm by Kafein »

Offline Vammo75

• Knight
  • Renown: 40
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vamm
« Reply #137 on: October 15, 2012, 09:45:37 pm »
Thorin

If Thorin is telling the truth he hates himself and Dekar likes himself and is thus a liar. The statement "those that are liked by everybody have a golden ring." is false and should be "those that are not liked by everybody has a ring". That would imply that Thorin should have a ring which he doesn't.
If Thorin is not telling the truth, then so is Dekar, and the only one who is liked by everybody is Thorin.

Could very easily have misunderstood the rules though

« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 09:55:52 pm by Vammo75 »

Offline Prinz_Karl

• Earl
  • Renown: 383
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Fridericus_II
« Reply #138 on: October 15, 2012, 10:20:51 pm »
Thorin says he has no golden ring.   He has a golden ring.
Thorin says that Dekar doesn't like Bror.   Dekar likes Bror.
Thorin says that more than one dwarf likes Dekar.   One dwarf likes Dekar.
Bror says he doesn't like dwarves that like themselves.   He likes dwarves that like themselves.
Bror says that he likes those that don't like themselves.   He doesn't like those that don't like themselves
Dekar says that Bror doesn't like Thorin or doesn't like Dekar.  ??? Can't figure it that
Dekar says those that are liked by everybody have a golden ring.   Those that are liked by everybody don't have a golden ring

This is it like if they're lying right? Got confused by that one premiss, though.

Offline Mogh

• Knight
  • Renown: 46
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Oso, Manannan, Monkeybutt
« Reply #139 on: October 15, 2012, 10:46:46 pm »
Bror

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #140 on: October 15, 2012, 11:04:48 pm »
I have one too. You can use it in OP if you want.

1. In a street there are five houses, painted five different colours.
2. In each house lives a person of different nationality
3. These five homeowners each drink a different kind of beverage, smoke different brand of cigar and keep a different pet.

THE QUESTION: WHO OWNS THE FISH?

HINTS

1. The Brit lives in a red house.
2. The Swede keeps dogs as pets.
3. The Dane drinks tea.
4. The Green house is next to, and on the left of the White house.
5. The owner of the Green house drinks coffee.
6. The person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds.
7. The owner of the Yellow house smokes Dunhill.
8. The man living in the centre house drinks milk.
9. The Norwegian lives in the first house.
10. The man who smokes Blends lives next to the one who keeps cats.
11. The man who keeps horses lives next to the man who smokes Dunhill.
12. The man who smokes Blue Master drinks beer.
13. The German smokes Prince.
14. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
15. The man who smokes Blends has a neighbour who drinks water.

(I think some of you might have seen this riddle so I'm not going to give you any gold. Bonus e-peen high five for the one who knows who wrote this riddle.)

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Prinz_Karl

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 15, 2012, 11:19:20 pm »
Damn you Mogh!  :)

Just noticed Bror might also have the ring as well as Thorin (so there is no clear solution?).
Bror is always a liar, we only don't know if Thorin or Dekar is one but if one of them is the other one is not. And in both cases, one time Thorin is liar and one time Dekar is liar, we have a logical conclusion.
If Thorin is the liar he likes himself. Because Dekar isn't a liar he likes Bror and Thorin, so it's right that Thorin is lying about Dekar doesn't like Bror. And because Bror is lying (thus likes himself) he likes those who like themselves (Thorin and himself) and doesn't like those don't (only Dekar). If we know that Thorin is lying about more than one dwarf likes Dekar it's actually only one likes Dekar and because Bror and Dekar himself don't like Dekar it must be Thorin. Dekar is telling the truth and Thorin is the only one being liked by all and has the ring. He is lying that he doesn't haveone.
If Throin now is telling the truth (I will do it short) then he doesn't have the ring. After further conclusion (Bror is still lying) know that Dekar doesn't have the ring, because he is liked by everyone including himself because he is a liar and thus the "the one who is liked by everyone has the ring"statement is wrong (the guy that is liked by everyone doesn't have the ring if that's the true lying version of it). So only Bror can have the ring.

I have too much free time right now   :(
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 11:25:40 pm by Prinz_Karl »

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 15, 2012, 11:44:10 pm »
Thorin

If Thorin is telling the truth he hates himself and Dekar likes himself and is thus a liar. The statement "those that are liked by everybody have a golden ring." is false and should be "those that are not liked by everybody has a ring". That would imply that Thorin should have a ring which he doesn't.
If Thorin is not telling the truth, then so is Dekar, and the only one who is liked by everybody is Thorin.

Could very easily have misunderstood the rules though

(click to show/hide)

Dekar says that Bror doesn't like Thorin or doesn't like Dekar.  ??? Can't figure it that

This is it like if they're lying right? Got confused by that one premiss, though.

The opposite of that sentence is "Bror likes both Thorin and Dekar"

Bror

Nope

Damn you Mogh!  :)

Just noticed Bror might also have the ring as well as Thorin (so there is no clear solution?).
Bror is always a liar, we only don't know if Thorin or Dekar is one but if one of them is the other one is not. And in both cases, one time Thorin is liar and one time Dekar is liar, we have a logical conclusion.
If Thorin is the liar he likes himself. Because Dekar isn't a liar he likes Bror and Thorin, so it's right that Thorin is lying about Dekar doesn't like Bror. And because Bror is lying (thus likes himself) he likes those who like themselves (Thorin and himself) and doesn't like those don't (only Dekar). If we know that Thorin is lying about more than one dwarf likes Dekar it's actually only one likes Dekar and because Bror and Dekar himself don't like Dekar it must be Thorin. Dekar is telling the truth and Thorin is the only one being liked by all and has the ring. He is lying that he doesn't haveone.
If Throin now is telling the truth (I will do it short) then he doesn't have the ring. After further conclusion (Bror is still lying) know that Dekar doesn't have the ring, because he is liked by everyone including himself because he is a liar and thus the "the one who is liked by everyone has the ring"statement is wrong. So only Bror can have the ring.

I have too much free time right now   :(

Nice try but I'm pretty sure there is only one solution. I probably have even more free time than you do because I made this up myself.

Btw just to make things clear :

• "Dekar says those that are liked by everybody have a golden ring." - in this sentence "those" can be any number of dwarves. Even 0.
  • "Some of them have a golden ring but you can't see it because they all have gloves." - same thing, some can mean any number in [0,3]. Which means the answer can contain any subset of all the dwarves.
  • "Thorin says that more than one dwarf likes Dekar." - this is a strict "more". The number of dwarves that like Dekar is in [2,3]. If this is false, this number is in [0,1].

Editing my first post to reflect these clarifications.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 11:53:02 pm by Kafein »

Offline Vammo75

• Knight
  • Renown: 40
  • Infamy: 2
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vamm
« Reply #143 on: October 15, 2012, 11:55:18 pm »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

p.s. just saw you edited your first post. I see how it was difficult to express now. "Dekar says that Bror doesn't like Thorin and doesn't like Dekar" would clash with one of the opening rules.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 12:33:14 am by Vammo75 »

Offline Prinz_Karl

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 16, 2012, 12:20:18 am »
You did it yourself? :o Nice.

Anyway if the oppsite of Dekar is "Bror likes both Thorin and Dekar" (I thought it's "likes Thorin or Dekar") then Thorin can't tell the truth because Dekar would then be lying; thus Bror can't have the ring.
The leads to the conclusion that Dekar is telling the truth and Thorin is lying which simply means that he has the golden ring. Now I'm understanding.

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 16, 2012, 12:47:36 am »
And the prixe goes to Vammo75 :)

(click to show/hide)

Also a fun fact : Bror cannot be telling the truth, and you can tell that just based on his own rules. Otherwise he would be both liking and hating himself, because he hates those that like themselves and likes those that hate themselves. If he likes himself then he hates himself and inversely.

Offline Prinz_Karl

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 16, 2012, 12:55:42 am »
Wait just noticed "Some (any number in [0,3]) of them have a golden ring",??? Thought there would be only "one" ring (must have been thinking too much about lotr). Anyway nice riddle.

Edit: Np. One more question, how do we know Thorin likes Bror and not Derkin?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 01:04:43 am by Prinz_Karl »

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 16, 2012, 12:59:04 am »
Wait just noticed "Some (any number in [0,3]) of them have a golden ring",??? Thought there would be only "one" ring (must have been thinking too much about lotr). Anyway nice riddle.

I apologize, I should have been clearer from the start. Each dwarf can have a ring or not.

Offline Tore

• Item Manager
  • Renown: 882
  • Infamy: 329
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 20, 2012, 03:12:18 pm »
[UNSOLVED 80k (+10k from finuard)] (literature) In a very famous play the actors say "Something is rotten in the state of Denmark" and "Heaven will direct it". What do those actors refer to?

Marcellus, shaken by the many recent disturbing events and no doubt angered (as is Hamlet) by Claudius's mismanagement of the body politic, astutely notes that Denmark is festering with moral and political corruption. Horatio replies "Heaven will direct it" (91), meaning heaven will guide the state of Denmark to health and stability.

Offline Prinz_Karl

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 20, 2012, 07:21:49 pm »
The shakespeare riddle was unsolved because the guy who made it gave the solution because no one could solve it (Who would know the answer was crap :))