Author Topic: Can builds please effect fighting animations slightly.  (Read 1082 times)

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
Can builds please effect fighting animations slightly.
« on: October 04, 2012, 01:17:49 am »
Before you think "what a wanker" picture this.

Str guys swing fast hitting hard but position/raise their weapons more slowely. Ath (wpf) guys position/raise quickly but swing heavier (slower) weapons a little bit slower than guys with huge PS.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 01:22:43 am by owens »
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
Re: Can builds please effect fighting animations slightly.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 01:24:16 am »
+3
I pictured it and I still thought: "What a wanker."

Pretty redundant and unintelligent idea overall.
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 01:33:33 am »
why?

Offline owens

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 02:08:04 am »
Because atm cRPG sucks its own cock.

A change to the game that isnt just statistical that would change gameplay subtely on a more human level is neccesary this was just my little idea. Dont you find it strange that a guy who is meant to be an athlete fights the same way as a muscle dude?

Also dont act like your own shit doesn't stink, bjorn all of your suggestions smell worse than the pope's cock sock.
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline Cepeshi

• Earl
  • Renown: 467
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
  • Relax, it is just a life...
    • View Profile
    • Wanna work with me? Ping for more info!
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Fapulena, Useless
  • IRC nick: Cepeshi
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 02:10:41 am »
+8
Because atm cRPG sucks its own cock.

A change to the game that isnt just statistical that would change gameplay subtely on a more human level is neccesary this was just my little idea. Dont you find it strange that a guy who is meant to be an athlete fights the same way as a muscle dude?

Also dont act like your own shit doesn't stink, bjorn all of your suggestions smell worse than the pope's cock sock.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 02:21:45 am »
+1
Well, realistically swinging faster would mean hitting harder. We can't do that cause it would fuck with the very system builds are based on, so this entire suggestion, meh. Not even talking about the practical difficulties of the suggestion yet.

Offline owens

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 02:59:06 am »
^It could be difficult but also maybe not.

I am no expert at coding but replacing one equation with another shouldnt be impossible.

The biggest issue for me is that you fight opponent after opponent and every single fight is the same block, feint, pause, kill, move on. You dont have to think about how you engage each opponent beyond whether they are likely to ignore feints or back pedal.

Wouldnt it be great if each player could be that little bit different to fight super fast feints from ninja's to some powerful heavy swings from tanks.
PK is back

Offline OzyTheSage

• Baron
  • Renown: 84
  • Infamy: 6
  • Om nom nom
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress
  • Game nicks: Ozymandias
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 03:42:12 am »
Perhaps instead there should be weapons that are the opposite of 'unbalanced'. Balanced weapons would just swing at regular speeds but won't do as much damage. Feinting and such with them would be easier because the center of mass is closer to the grip. Then we can make weapons that simply aren't 'balanced' (I.E. the way they are now, without any modifier) to be slightly more difficult to feint with than they are now and deal normal damage. Then we have the current 'unbalanced' weapons which deal more damage and are harder to feint with.

The thing with different swings with a str vs. agi thing doesn't make too much sense, unless you made weapons specifically designed to be agile like a rapier or something. A strong person can heft and swing weapons around easier than somebody who isn't strong, regardless of what weapon it is and regardless of what part of the swing they're at. Agility in gameplay terms also refers to expertise (WPF) which is different from the ability to heft weapons around. It's just... abstracted... a lot, because of gameplay limitations.

For example, two people wield a mace. One person is strong, so he can swing that fucker really hard and bash skulls in (power strike). The other person is not quite as strong, but he knows how to use his entire body and positioning to put more weight into the swing and thus not swing like a bitch (WPF). Of course, mostly abstracted for gameplay.

As you can see I've put most of my WPF into talking out my ass, but I was never good with words =p

Offline Haboe

• King
  • Renown: 1090
  • Infamy: 331
  • Born with a shield on my back. Difficult birth.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Haboe
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 09:49:12 am »
This kind of boosts str builds even more...

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 02:49:33 pm »
This kind of boosts str builds even more...
You haven't heard the latest news from Kulin_Ban then. This just in from EU_2. Apparently, STR builds are totally useless, AGI builds are the way to go and AGI is getting buffed sometime in the next day or so because everyone hates Kulin. Also: Jarlek is a lucky-spammer noob that gets sucks dick and gets lucky knockdown with his OP hammer.

OT:
When I first read the subject line, I first thought of something like, if you for example got more 2h wpf than 1h or pole, then you can swing certain 1h or pole weapons in 2h mode. Same with swinging a some 2h swords (bastard comes to mind) in 1h mode if you got enough STR and 1h wpf. Stuff like that. Or getting the 2h stab on a spear if you got AGI and enough 2h wpf.

The change to chamber animation speed and attack animation speed.... Don't really like it. Mainly because having a higher speed on the attack animation is much better than having it on the chamber animation.

I just remembered one thing. Wasn't there a guy who made new animations? I think the current archery animations is from that pack. Maybe the melee animations there could be "unlocked" if you had enough wpf?

Although that one would be a bitch to code.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 07:59:32 pm »
You're talking about Papa Lazarou's animations, and yes, everything was redone with his animations. Would be nice to have them replace the current ones, IMO. :)
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 08:40:28 pm »
Some animations suck ass if you're used to c-rpg/native animations.  I've played some pretty terrible mod animations before.  Brytenwalda comes to mind for the terrible shield animation (your guy basically holds it "up" at the same height as in native when you have it not blocking).  And the diplomacy mod swing animinations are fucking terrible, like every animation starts from the center of your body. 
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline OzyTheSage

• Baron
  • Renown: 84
  • Infamy: 6
  • Om nom nom
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress
  • Game nicks: Ozymandias
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 02:53:32 am »
words
So there would basically be no point in putting any WPF into polearms, unless maybe you were a hoplite.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 04:06:51 am »
So there would basically be no point in putting any WPF into polearms, unless maybe you were a hoplite.
You would still need pole wpf for all the things wpf gives you. This would just be buff with extra animations for hybrids or people that for some reason had to pick up a weapon outside their class.

And I was just naming 2 examples. That means there are more options available. For example: with enough AGI and pole wpf, you can swing certain polearms on horse, like the Hafted Blade and Long Hafted Blade are now. Or with enough pole wpf you can rear horses with any weapon. Half swording is also one thing, but it's already in game (although you have to manually change to it).
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 04:10:11 am »
Most of Papa's animations are horrible. No offense to the man who put a lot of work into it but I think they look shit, most of them at least
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.