Author Topic: Cav Adjustments  (Read 480 times)

Offline brockssn

• Baron
  • Renown: 133
  • Infamy: 182
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Cav Adjustments
« on: October 01, 2012, 09:40:58 pm »
Cav need to have some adjustments in my opinion. Here's what I'd suggest:

1. When cav's horses die and they go flying off, they need to take damage (should be by how fast they were moving)
2. Make them louder when running around, I dont know how many times I get hit from behind cuz I don't hear a horse...
3. If cav blocks on horse, don't allow it to protect the horse's hitboxes if you try to hit its ass and they somehow block it

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 10:28:53 pm by brockssn »

Offline Haboe

• King
  • Renown: 1090
  • Infamy: 331
  • Born with a shield on my back. Difficult birth.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Haboe
Re: Cav Adjustments
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 09:47:00 pm »
I always hear a horse, maybe adjust your sound settings (lower music and shit, raise effects)

But yea, damage by falling of the horse is cool.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 09:51:42 pm »
+2
Louder isn't the issue. It's the fact there's no directional sound. Making them louder would simply mean you'd be hearing hoofbeats all the time from half way across the battlefield without knowing where the hell it was.

I tend to hear hoofbeats fine otherwise, it's just difficult knowing where exactly it's coming from.

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 10:04:52 pm »
+4
Few good cavalry players would argue against the following but maybe it's hard to implement:

- Damage done to player if falling of the horse based on horse speed.
- Damage done to horse if running into an obstacle (tree, other horse, wall, spear etc) making it stop.
- A chance to fall of the horse if it gets stopped at high speed. Higher riding should decrease the chance.

Offline Haboe

• King
  • Renown: 1090
  • Infamy: 331
  • Born with a shield on my back. Difficult birth.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Haboe
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 10:06:55 pm »
+1
Some advice to help you notice cav, set your equipment viewing mode on the Q key.
As soon as you hear cav approach, press Q, make a 360 camera turn and youll know where he will come from.

Having that on Q is so much faster/ easier then on ~

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 10:08:04 pm »
Few good cavalry players would argue against the following but maybe it's hard to implement:

- Damage done to horse if running into an obstacle (tree, other horse, wall, spear etc) making it stop.
- A chance to fall of the horse if it gets stopped at high speed. Higher riding should decrease the chance.

I would agree to these if almost every map wasn't village with tons of obstacles, steep valleys and the like or towns. But right now they are. For those to make sense there would need to be a lot more open maps I think otherwise it would just be to heavy a nerf.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 06:19:16 pm »
+3

Correct, I wouldn't argue those points.  But horses should fuck people up when they are dead and fly into you.  I should be able to give people piggy back rides on my horse (but should slow it down immensely).  People should be able to tackle/pull me off the horse.  I should be able to dismount whenever I want (but would take damage if the horse is moving).  Pikemen should be able to brace pikes into the ground so if cav runs into it, the horse gets impaled and stuck on the pike (but wouldn't ghost fly into people like a bowling ball causing damage to those it runs into).  Horses should be more intelligent and not run into obstacles or other horses, horses in real life typically won't run into a stone wall no matter how much training it's had. 

There's 100's of suggestions I have to make the game better and more realistic, but most just won't, or can't happen.  That being said, the game seems very well balanced to me.  Nothing is overpowered, everything has strengths and weaknesses, positives and negatives.  Some things are strong versus "X", and weak versus "Y".  That's how it should be.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline LordRichrich

• Count
  • Renown: 297
  • Infamy: 115
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 06:52:50 pm »
+1

The second two, indirect buff to arabian warhorse which is already op as hell -.-

Offline Lichen

• Count
  • Renown: 184
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 07:21:59 pm »
Louder isn't the issue. It's the fact there's no directional sound. Making them louder would simply mean you'd be hearing hoofbeats all the time from half way across the battlefield without knowing where the hell it was.
To work around this limitation I'd suggest the horse sound be altered to 'stand out' more. Like maybe increase certain frequencies with an audio editing program so it can be heard better but not any further away than now. But IMO the thing that irritates the most about cav is not as much the hard to hear sound as it is the ease of 'lancing'. Stabbing with a long stick from horseback wasn't even a RL ability as far as I know (unless they want to end up with a broken arm trying to hold on to it).

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 08:22:04 pm »
+1
To work around this limitation I'd suggest the horse sound be altered to 'stand out' more. Like maybe increase certain frequencies with an audio editing program so it can be heard better but not any further away than now. But IMO the thing that irritates the most about cav is not as much the hard to hear sound as it is the ease of 'lancing'. Stabbing with a long stick from horseback wasn't even a RL ability as far as I know (unless they want to end up with a broken arm trying to hold on to it).

:lol:

Your saddle helped keep you on the horse, and helped absorb a lot of the blow from the lance.  Also most lances had some sort of a hand plate to stop the hand from sliding up the shaft on impact (called a vamplate).  And when thrusting you would have the lance braced under your forearm and against your tricep (and possibly bicep just before thrusting).  While it's true that most lances were used by couching and then were not used after the initial charge (because the knights would have nowhere to go with their horse, so they'd either pull out a sword/axe/blunt/pierce weapon and start going to town from horse back or dismount and use those closer quarters weapons). 

That being said, the lance tip was not designed to break off (like some tips of throwing weapons to cause more damage) or like jousting lances to prevent people from being hurt in tournament jousts.  They weren't barbed to stay inside the victim like some ranged projectiles either. They were diamond point tips meant to create a large wound and be able to be pulled back out.  The force would knock the person back and rip a hole in them large enough to be able to pull the lance out.  If it didn't explode through a part of your body and just come out the other side. 

So with all that being said, the main reason the lance was a one and done weapon (used only for the initial charge) was because the cavalry wasn't able to just pick off one person and keep on riding like in C-rpg.  Typically the other infantry would be close enough that the horsemen would have nowhere to go.  Also, the lancers would charge into (ideally) the flanks of the enemy, but they would charge directly into them, not parallel to their line.  So they would hit them, and have nowhere to go on their horse, and the lance would be useless at that point (they used heavy and long lances, not short ones that could easily stab down at infantry underneath them). 

- Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 09:02:29 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Many good suggestions.
Should be possible to implement a few of them.