Author Topic: Spear shield.  (Read 5187 times)

Offline bredeus

• Earl
  • Renown: 392
  • Infamy: 85
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • there must be Peace
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templars since 1096 AD
  • Game nicks: Templar_Brede
  • IRC nick: Brede
Re: Spear shield.
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2011, 03:07:37 pm »
what build are you using mate?
i was trying 18/18 21/15 15/21 as a spear n boarder. It is really pretty effective (except Cyber :( )

Offline Polobow

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SoA
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2011, 10:59:15 pm »
I've never played any other class than a turtle. Ofcourse, i use a long hafted blade, or a great long axe, but still, i am more usefull with a war spear and a shield.

Offline Spa_geh_tea

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 114
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearded Vagrant
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2011, 01:09:44 am »
And again, it'll never happen unless you provide the devs with a working code...........this topic has been brought up 3-4 times already and the response has been its impossible. So, prove it otherwise and stick it to them.

No it will not be OP since they will only have two stab options and not to mention a shield spear stabs at a slower rate then any other weapon. Yes, the enemy will need to learn to block a different attack, so what cry me a river this games semi-realism and difficulty is what makes it fun.

Offline Patricia

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2011, 03:07:27 am »
Made a War Spear/Elite Cav shield build.

While not the most effective build, it's the one I've had the most fun with, but then again I'm playing naked so even with 3 athletics I'm a flying rocket, dancing in clusterfucks and just stabbing unsuspecting people and flying off to the moon is just great.

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2011, 07:20:32 am »
This is gay. Use a sword please.

alternatively don't use a shield i understand your longing to stab people while shielding yourself, but its not at all effective and never will be. Maybe someone should make a 1H thats good at stabbing and looks spear like but in the meantime don't shield in melee and 1v1's ffs.
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline Spa_geh_tea

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2011, 08:10:55 pm »
Sir, if a sword could only be overhead swung when clearly in real life there are far more options. You would thirst for more wouldn't you? So, in the meantime sit down and be quiet. If your too scared to fight a weapon that has 2 attack directions then I'm sorry for you and perhaps you should look into alternative games.

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2011, 01:57:28 am »
Hey how about learn how to block. Its not that hard and makes every single close quarters weapon better. Spear and sheild is a retarded combo how many heroes of myth, legend and reality only used a spear and a shield. Only a couple of homosexual greeks. So think about it add a a glitchy overhead stab that looks retarded and doesn't look right when blocked or get some nuts.

Peace out jew-my old friends keep it pimpen
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline Felagunda

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2011, 06:36:18 am »
Oh if they make the awlpike or war spear take up 2 slots you'll never see another spartan type build.  It's already the most gimped build in the game with the one direction to block.  I know I do it about every 4 gens or slightly more.  It's good if you got alot of 1h builds with ya to support you as well.  It's something that requires team work to play and it'll probably get nurffed into the ground with the patch.  What I mean is that if you can't spawn with a decent weapon that you can swing b/c they are all taking up 2 weapon slots too no one will do this style anymore.

Which is really sad because it is the most under powered fighting style in game.  I mean 1 attack direction and with spears or polearms you are gonna glance alot.  You must learn to master the art of the turn stab which is very risky in most fights.

With a shield bash type attack that would open up an oppents attack say 1.5-2x longer than the stun from a kick with say idk a 20 reset timmer before you can do it again sheild and spear would get the boost it needs to be effective.  But that is something unto itself and will probably never happen.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 06:40:53 am by Felagunda »

Offline TheGriffin88

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Phalanx
  • Game nicks: Phalanx_Griffin
  • IRC nick: Phalanx_Griffin
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2011, 12:51:56 am »
How many hero's used spears and shields, just some my old friendgy greeks.   

Owens you are the ultimate troll, swords and shields are more common than 2handed weapons if your talking history.

Secondly, more cheese with your whine?
There is no truth only a series of interpretations.

Offline KaMiKaZe_JoE

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 117
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: KaMiKaZe _______
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2011, 01:46:52 am »
I do rather fine as things are now, as a spear/shielder. In 1 v 1 fights I can beat your average player, I can rape horses (ironic, since I'm am hoplite/lancer build), and I'm extremely effective when working with teammates. The spear/shield build is a TEAMWORK build, plain and simple. Either travel with the team/clusterfuck in general, or pick a specific battle buddy to follow around.

I must reiterate that it is more than possible to defend yourself as a spear and shielder when you find yourself without allies. Work on timing, and get high athletics. Worse comes to worst you put your shield on your back... spears are extremely fast weapons when used w/o the shield.

Also, the Greeks weren't the only people with spear/shielder heroes. The Franks had heroes who fought with spear and shield, too.

A shield bash would be epic, but 1h/shielders would have to do it too, and that would make 'em even more popular and, arguably, over powered. Two stab directions would be too difficult to block, since they're both stabs and very similar.
"I don't think I'd want to meet anyone from cRPG. Sorry no offense lol" -TG

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2011, 02:41:16 am »
Pretty sure once the shield wall broke in the Greek battles they started using their swords instead of spears.
+1 to above post. Support weapon,not a good duel weapon.
Pock gobblers

Offline Spa_geh_tea

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2011, 07:09:33 pm »
Giving another stab option does not make it a dueling weapon, it is still too slow. The speed for the stab is decreased due too the shield use. The additional stab option will make shield spear team work more viable because they can attack the same target with two different blows. What this will lead to is spear walls being almost necessary to any battle because the enemy cant just down block to get in close to attack them anymore.

Spear stab damage in general is very low compared to all other weapon options out there, not too mention you need perfect timing and movement to get the full positive speed bonus.

SO, stop whining and lets give this a try. If its too OP the spear damage and speed can always be nerfed to compensate. I fail to see why trying something out is such a horrible idea.

Offline Joelturuz

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ratchis
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2011, 11:05:44 pm »
Giving another stab option does not make it a dueling weapon, it is still too slow. The speed for the stab is decreased due too the shield use. The additional stab option will make shield spear team work more viable because they can attack the same target with two different blows. What this will lead to is spear walls being almost necessary to any battle because the enemy cant just down block to get in close to attack them anymore.

Spear stab damage in general is very low compared to all other weapon options out there, not too mention you need perfect timing and movement to get the full positive speed bonus.

SO, stop whining and lets give this a try. If its too OP the spear damage and speed can always be nerfed to compensate. I fail to see why trying something out is such a horrible idea.
Aaamen.

Offline TheGriffin88

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Phalanx
  • Game nicks: Phalanx_Griffin
  • IRC nick: Phalanx_Griffin
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2011, 05:11:42 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMiDMuws6oo&feature=related

Check out this spartan mod, fast forward to the spear combat they have multiple directions to attack (though I don't necessarily endorse more than 2) also, it looks so sweet.
There is no truth only a series of interpretations.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2011, 05:37:19 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMiDMuws6oo&feature=related

Check out this spartan mod, fast forward to the spear combat they have multiple directions to attack (though I don't necessarily endorse more than 2) also, it looks so sweet.

grip on the high thrust is all wrong. it should be held like a javelin that you're going to throw