Author Topic: Spear shield.  (Read 5185 times)

Offline TheGriffin88

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Phalanx
  • Game nicks: Phalanx_Griffin
  • IRC nick: Phalanx_Griffin
Re: Spear shield.
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 09:26:35 pm »
You guys are really lame. I would rather that there was a wider range of more specialized and effective spears than a new attack direction. That is longer spears that are more effective at countering cavalry and shorter ones for fighting infantry and S/S. This would increase the usability and general purposes of the whole spear weapon categories.  Spears are one of the oldest weapons in the world and they did work why, cant they be a little more effective at killing people.

some suggestions:Infantry spear, fighting spear, short spear, long spear and so on.

This is still 2 handed. There are many much lamer things in the game than being able to stab in two directions with a shield, they could limit the 2 attacks to smaller spears only so you don't have ridiculous range.

I don't see the problem at all, and you saying 'Its lame' without much explanation suggests that you don't want it because it might piss you off.  It makes a new class of fighter which adds a new dynamic to the whole class system, stop being so conservative they would still only have 2 attacks - easy to block no? But would give those who wanted to the option to make a cool spear/shield class and new tactics with it.   

There is no truth only a series of interpretations.

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2011, 09:39:05 pm »
You guys are really lame. I would rather that there was a wider range of more specialized and effective spears than a new attack direction. That is longer spears that are more effective at countering cavalry and shorter ones for fighting infantry and S/S. This would increase the usability and general purposes of the whole spear weapon categories.  Spears are one of the oldest weapons in the world and they did work why, cant they be a little more effective at killing people.

Short Spear
Spear
War Spear
Boar Spear

Light Lance
Lance
Heavy Lance
Double Sided Lance

Awlpike
Long Awlpike

Bamboo Spear
Ashwood Pike
Pike

Military Fork
Battle Fork

I don't know what you'd want to add which isn't covered with these already.

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2011, 02:39:36 am »
Spears are to short.

I dont want to use a lance or a two direction weapon as a primary. atm spears are completely outclassed by military scythes and glaives. They shouldn't be.
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline Black Wind

• Whiner
  • Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 185
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PK
  • Game nicks: PK_IncrediblySkillful, The Right arm of the guy with 13 PC's that is PK
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2011, 01:58:13 pm »

some suggestions:Infantry spear, fighting spear, short spear, long spear and so on.

Suggestions: Spear, war-spear, shortened spear, pike.

nice work owens.

Spear and shield was based to be a SUPPORT role, never 1v1, if there was 2+ directions itd be op.
If you want to 1v1 with a spear, use it as 2h; as they are meant for that.

I am leaving, for I have to do a poo now.
Keep it real pimps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Here in PK, we're better than you! And we know it.

Offline MadJackMcMad

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • Hawk the Slayer's Rubbish.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: 22nd_Grumpy, 22nd_MadJackMcMad
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2011, 03:52:37 pm »
Don't forget the awlpikes, they are brutal.  Long Awl with a shield is excellent anti cav.  I believe single handed animation's have a longer reach that 2handed.

A spear and shield is more effective at duelling in reality, as your opponent has to get past the spear, rather than simply hugging you and phasing through it.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 03:58:32 pm by MadJackMcMad »
ABSURDITY, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

Offline Memento_Mori

• Count
  • Renown: 187
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • I use these forums to hook up with hot ladies
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Memento_Mori, Sengo_Muramasa, Born_Of_Osiris,
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2011, 04:04:01 pm »
Don't forget the awlpikes, they are brutal.  Long Awl with a shield is excellent anti cav.  I believe single handed animation's have a longer reach that 2handed.

A spear and shield is more effective at duelling in reality, as your opponent has to get past the spear, rather than simply hugging you and phasing through it.

Pretty sure LONG awlpike cannot be used with a shield.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2011, 04:15:15 pm »
Pretty sure LONG awlpike cannot be used with a shield.

Correct, though it was possible at an earlier patch as well as in native.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline ToxicKilla

• Knight
  • Renown: 79
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • For England, and Saint George!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Killmoar_the_Lone_Knight
  • IRC nick: ToxicKilla
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2011, 09:35:24 pm »
An overhead stab would be VERY usefull, if it would also be useable on horse-back that would be epic, Roman style overhead stabbing ftw. Would make the battlefield look alot better too, because there would be more spear+shielders, and spear+shield was used quite a lot in medieval times.

Offline haxKingdom

• Knight
  • Renown: 27
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2011, 10:07:22 pm »
maybe spears should get crushthrough since deflecting a long object can be difficult.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2011, 10:11:23 pm »
Spears doesn't need a buff, and definitely not a new attacking direction with shield. Spears are one of the most effective weapons in the game, when used right
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • Renown: 78
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Not playing
  • Game nicks: Not playing
  • IRC nick: Most likely Dravic
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2011, 10:27:30 pm »
maybe spears should get crushthrough since deflecting a long object can be difficult.

Crushthrough? But how, when with shield they can't overhead (no overhead no crushthrough)

Offline haxKingdom

• Knight
  • Renown: 27
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2011, 12:06:18 am »
Crushthrough? But how, when with shield they can't overhead (no overhead no crushthrough)

i meant pierce curshtrough but its hardcoded i guess

Offline TheGriffin88

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2011, 07:15:58 am »
The role they play (1h spear and shield) is the same role ANY other class could play in the same situation, in fact most classes would be better. 2v1 you may as well use a pike or a lolhammer or just spam stab/overhead with any other weapon. Saying it is a good support class or is good is the right hands/circumstances

A spear and a shield is a novelty class at the moment, except yes versus cav. But then you may as well go for a full length 2her so they can't get close to you in the first place.        Spear/Shield doesn't keep people at bay, instant facehug and your stuck looking down and then up quickly to try and get anything but a whiff.

Were not asking for some ultra OP spartan class with insane damage, just the opportunity to do something other than stab down. Someone with a guide dog specifically designed for playing internet games and trolling forums could down-block that all day.

Some of the more famous formations included spears and shields [See: Hoplite Dori / Dorys shorter spears specifically designed for one hand use, weighing only a few pound. As it stands, unless there is more of you than there is of the enemy this is not a viable build, not without the fact that you can currently have a a high-tier sword with the load-out as well.

Offline bredeus

• Earl
  • Renown: 392
  • Infamy: 85
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • there must be Peace
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templars since 1096 AD
  • Game nicks: Templar_Brede
  • IRC nick: Brede
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2011, 08:24:13 am »
Strongly disagree. It is already quite good and effective weapon. However deadly for both sides when used in the wrong hands (like mine).

Offline TheGriffin88

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2011, 02:17:15 pm »
This isn't a: Are you good enough to use a half-viable class, I'm aware there are some exceptional players who can make this work for them. But for others it really is a useless class, only fit for quickly dieing in situations where you don't really outnumber the enemy. 

Again, we don't want a 1v1 class we just want the ability to not be insta-killed by the weapons inability to be anything but extremely predicatable. You won't see many people in tournaments seriously using spear/shield (granted 1 or 2) even then.., And it's going to get nerfed with new slots, nerfing an ultra nerfed class, whats the big objection to making spear/shield at least usable in anything other than 10v1 fights.

The way its set up, the only people making this class seriously are those who have made every other kind and are just trying more unique/theme builds. It should be an option people are at least considering for a decent normal class.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 03:14:48 pm by TheGriffin88 »