Author Topic: Operation: Whoops  (Read 2522 times)

Offline Ipsum

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SWF
  • Game nicks: Ipsum_SWF
Operation: Whoops
« on: September 29, 2012, 08:01:53 pm »
+5
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Dear Strategus Nation,

I come to you today in one of my clan's gravest hours. The forces of imperialism and penis imagery lap at our doorstep and covet our fine hamlet.

We are a simple clan of humble origins, new to the ways and machinations of diplomacy and war.  Our members number less than half a score, yet we are besieged by a force more than thrice our strength. However, we intend to make a stand.

We do not acknowledge the arbitrary claims of vulgar bullies. We will not allow Chamberlain's mistakes to be repeated and carry over into this game, lest oppressive regimes break containment and attempt to dominate all others. Such people must be put in their place, in this case by force.

Some history is perhaps in order. We have been under siege since lawfully coming into democratic possession of Ismirala. After rallying many prominent heroes to our aid time after time, a clan by the name of KUTT so eloquently declared war on us:

Ever since, we have been working full time to build up a huge arsenal. We especially want to thank Hospitaller and Swiss for their generous donations. However, KUTT being KUTT, they have elected to raid us prior to sieging us. Basically, they want to avoid a real fight by just stealing our stuff. I had no idea they were so cowardly (although given their prior performance I can understand).

We are still mystified as to why such a large group of players are putting in such a heavy effort to wipe a group of newbies off the map, but we really hope once again the community will rally to help us.

Thanks.

Swords with Friends (SWF)

tl;dr: KUTT is raiding SWF newbies hoping to take all of our stuff. Help us prevent the spread of phallic imagery.

Battle link
SWF Strat Thread

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
Re: Operation: Whoops
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 08:08:35 pm »
+9
They really need to change raiding in this game - its just an abusable exploit in this game with no real benefit other than as an exploit.  At least make it so it steals gold and kills off troops not steal equipment.  Raids were supposed to be quick, they wouldn't have time to loot the battlefield and armory for gear.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 08:47:22 pm »
+9
Raiding needs to go, chadz.  There's no reason not to do it, its a massively unfair advantage to the attacker and simply bypasses what I thought was supposed to be the point of Strategus, fun battles.

Why bother playing if some clan with more members and troops than you can bypass any extra benefit you have from defending?  Also shame on KUTT, taking out a clan of 6 noobs or so like pussies.  No honor.
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 08:58:28 pm »
+2
Raiding is fine... You're not supposed to count on population to defend your fiefs (which is fine, cuz it's FREE tickets). They're a nice freebie that can compliment your regular forces. Only soldiers you are paying should matter.

Unfortunately for SWF they made enemies with KUTT, a faction 9 times larger than they are, and they were unable to secure any kind of diplomatic solution or assistance.

IMO I think KUTT is going overkill raiding them anyways, the only gear they'll get is a bit of peasant crap and save the few tickets they woulda lost to said crap, at the expense of thousands of gold worth of time waisted and soldier fees.

Offline Tanken

• King
  • Renown: 1463
  • Infamy: 395
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Tanken
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 09:08:40 pm »
+3
We weren't sure if the mechanic was still working, so I tested it. Looky there! It works! PREPARE TO BE RAIDED!

And for all of you that call us Pussies, they had their chance, we don't owe them a single ounce of honorable kindness whatsoever.
Below is a Collection of Finalists in my Design my Avatar contest -- They all did Awesome!
Thanks to all of those who contributed.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 09:40:14 pm »
so if I'm reading this right, its possible to loot gear from fief by raiding?  Would be nice if dev could confirm this is intended

Offline Lemmy_Winks

• Count
  • Renown: 241
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lemmy_Winks
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 09:52:16 pm »
so if I'm reading this right, its possible to loot gear from fief by raiding?  Would be nice if dev could confirm this is intended

Im not a dev but ya this is true. I guess raids are to prevent people from having a large free population based garrison, which would probably be unfair.

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 09:59:42 pm »
+4
Raiding is fine... You're not supposed to count on population to defend your fiefs (which is fine, cuz it's FREE tickets). They're a nice freebie that can compliment your regular forces. Only soldiers you are paying should matter.

You dont pay for your 100 base soldiers too.. so what now? If raiding just steals some gear without a fight its a broken mechanic and needs to be fixed or removed or it will be abused heavily.
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Uumdi

• Duke
  • Renown: 651
  • Infamy: 59
  • Ready to Die
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Uumdi_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: Uumdi
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 10:12:27 pm »
+4
Yeah raiding is a donkeyshit mechanic

Ten shots of prayers, ten shots a day
A shot of thrill to hide the pain.
They can`t win, they just don`t cry,
The troopers know they live to die.

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 10:13:59 pm »
+4
Too many swords, not enough friends to fight with em.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline TurmoilTom

• King
  • Renown: 1089
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Doesn't really play that much anymore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 10:17:31 pm »
+2
Fuuuuck you guys have Malaclypse, Matey AND Berenger.

We're so fucking boned.

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 10:28:11 pm »
Fuuuuck you guys have Malaclypse, Matey AND Berenger.

We're so fucking boned.

YOU GON GET GOT! Just better to chill. Smoke some weed and fuck that battle okay Tom? No need to waste your time getting your ass pounded by gods.

Or go watch some replays of Seahawks vs Packers eueheheheh

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 10:30:26 pm »
+7

Unfortunately for SWF they made enemies with KUTT, a faction 9 times larger than they are, and they were unable to secure any kind of diplomatic solution or assistance.

IMO I think KUTT is going overkill raiding them anyways, the only gear they'll get is a bit of peasant crap and save the few tickets they woulda lost to said crap, at the expense of thousands of gold worth of time waisted and soldier fees.

Yep this game is only for people with 30+ member clans fuck everyone else because the fun part of this game isn't the battles its sperging out over trade routes and strat ticks.  Hell a 6 man clan playing a decent amount of time since Start started probably wouldn't even be able to produce enough troops to ever match a raid against a bigger clan at any point.

As of now raid is a "I WIN" button and nothing else.  If you think clans should be punished for trying to actually fight battles instead of becoming vassals or joining mega alliances well then I'm glad you aren't a developer.

Alternative functions of raids would be to attack S&D points and getting a percentage of that.  Right now you get ALL the gear in a fief if you win a raid, with no downside if you lose.  Its not used too much, but there's no reason to do anything but raids, ever, until a clan is depleted.

The best part is you can't even tell if its a raid until the battle is locked in and transfers are done. 
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Lemmy_Winks

• Count
  • Renown: 241
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lemmy_Winks
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2012, 10:43:22 pm »
+1
Well SWF, as someone who was raped and had their village stolen from them by another big cowardly faction (BRD/FCC) i'll just tell you not to give up, it does get better. Maybe you can relate to this song.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 10:49:28 pm by Lemmy_Winks »

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2012, 12:46:00 am »

Yep this game is only for people with 30+ member clans fuck everyone else because the fun part of this game isn't the battles its sperging out over trade routes and strat ticks.  Hell a 6 man clan playing a decent amount of time since Start started probably wouldn't even be able to produce enough troops to ever match a raid against a bigger clan at any point.

As of now raid is a "I WIN" button and nothing else.  If you think clans should be punished for trying to actually fight battles instead of becoming vassals or joining mega alliances well then I'm glad you aren't a developer.

Alternative functions of raids would be to attack S&D points and getting a percentage of that.  Right now you get ALL the gear in a fief if you win a raid, with no downside if you lose.  Its not used too much, but there's no reason to do anything but raids, ever, until a clan is depleted.

The best part is you can't even tell if its a raid until the battle is locked in and transfers are done.

You have 5 hours to reinforce, pretty sure lock-in period is lower than that.

The point is, you need real troops in garrison to defend yourself against raids, population are not real troops, they are supplements, you really should be arming them and counting on them except to guard against some possible ninja siege.

BTW A 6 man clan could have easily earned at least 75-100k by now if they've played smart, so have had the time and gold to recruit and outfit around 1000 troops at an "armed level", enough that a raid would have been a non-issue. Apparently they have not played very smart, have nowhere close to that.

SWF has no friends, no army, and picked a fight with a clan 9 times larger. They can regroup, can make friends with an enemy of KUTT, rebuild their troops and gold stocks and plot their revenge, lots of clans have done it.