Author Topic: Long Strategus Suggestion  (Read 669 times)

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
Long Strategus Suggestion
« on: September 29, 2012, 03:08:46 pm »
Please remove free gold and troop gain, this'd be the one real way to majorly nerf huge 100+ player clans or map wide alliances, it'd also make sitting afk in a fief as useless as not even playing strategus, this'd require a new feature for recruiting troops though and for it all to actually work out well it'd require a decent amount of new features added in general.

I'd suggest having random groups of AI wandering around on the map with random sizes and gear, won't try and attack people, you could approach these groups and either buy some of their troops (3 gold per troop, so 1000 troops would cost 3000 gold, but they shouldn't ever travel in groups near as large as 1000 so you'd have to search the map for more), you could of course also just attack them.
I'd also suggest allowing players to buy village/castle/town population, but requiring that the owner of the village/castle/town has manually agreed to do the deal, he could set whatever price he pleased, however, no matter what 2 of the gold he charges per troop will be removed from strat as "payment" to the villager so while whoever owns the village/castle/town technically could sell his population to his own faction for 0 gold they'd still pay 2/3rds of what they'd pay for hunting random AI troop sellers, and they'd lose village population.

The above would solve the issue that a 100 player clan will be able to get 100 troops per hour while 10 players would only get 10 troops, however, in order to still not make having more players an extreme advantage you'd still need to flatten the troop upkeep and do so that you'll pay upkeep from as low as 1 troop, 'else having 1000 troops spread out across 10 players would be a major benefit over having 1 player carry all the troops, maybe not 100% flatten the curve but it at the very least would need a serious flattening in order for huge clans and alliances not to be much better off.

Now, onto gold gain, since you still (at least I think you still do) earn like 1 strat gold per 5x tick or something insanely small like that you'd still fairly quickly be able to buy 5 strat goods in some village and then begin trading until you have a decent supply of gold if you spawn midstrat as a complete noname player, however, due to S&D protector clans this might still be near impossible lategame, therefore I'd suggest (this is not really a that important suggestion just a minor thing which might make a tiny difference) random AI bandit lairs popping up across the map where you can buy or sell at a fixed price of 10 gold at every one of them or perhaps ('cause fuck you S&D horders) allow for you to pay the bandit lair 1,5x of some villages price in exchange for after an amount of time dependent on how far away the fief is the village will lose the correct amount of S&D and the goods will be waiting for you in the bandit lair, however its distance bonus would be decayed to 50% and there'd be a chance (depending on the village/castle/towns army, not the amount of guys inside the village, not the population, the army) that you'd lose your gold, not gain anything, and the faction keeps its S&D.

EDIT: And please lower the roster sizes, lots of battles end retarded due to one army having more than 2x the other guys players, as for example chadz battle, outnumbered the enemy 2/3 or something like that, even though he had shitty gear he would've probably won if not for the enemy having like 4x his amount of mercs.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 03:21:34 pm by Zlisch_The_Butcher »
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Erasmas

• Earl
  • Renown: 483
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The crows had come
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Erasmas_the_Grey
Re: Long Strategus Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 03:55:37 pm »
Sounds perfect  :rolleyes:

Having that implemented, within following 2 weeks you would have:

- battles of 50 vs 50 only, well, maybe 100 vs 100, that would be max due to transportation costs...
- roster would be limited to what? 20 on 20? I wonder how they find each other on the map; siege would mainly involve sightseeing, some castles have nice interiors...
- it would be impossible to buy decent eq so shitty gear all the way...
- only nolifers would play strat as it all would be based on gold earned in crpg .

... but it all doesn't matter because noone would be playing Strat anymore, considering that and XP gain would be close to zero.

However you would achieve primary target - dismantle big clans... medium (20-40 players) probably as well, all that because no casual player would be interested in the game that gives you no XP in battles that are not worthwhile to leave cRPG server. A lot of max 10 person clans, like 20 of them (taht would give, my-oh-my, 200 players playing strat total) consisting of those addicted to forum flamewars.

Hell NO.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 03:57:06 pm »
Yeah, no.  This would have the opposite effect.  Only big clans can make gold and troops because they control fiefs and trading centers.  If anything increasing gold and troop gain would fix a lot of the stagnation with big alliances and allow little clans and one-man armies to be more common as it is easier to come back from a loss and for fiefs to fluctuate in ownership more and make large battles more common.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Warham

• Count
  • Renown: 168
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Black Guard
  • Game nicks: Warham
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 04:47:14 pm »
EDIT: And please lower the roster sizes, lots of battles end retarded due to one army having more than 2x the other guys players, as for example chadz battle, outnumbered the enemy 2/3 or something like that, even though he had shitty gear he would've probably won if not for the enemy having like 4x his amount of mercs.

Agree with this.
Sorry for my english, i am russian-speaking.

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 05:28:47 pm »
+1

This. Its hard to win a battle if your not in one of the big alliances, because they always outnumber you in the roster. Esp. in unusual times like morning or during the day. And winning battles with same or worse gear just because you have a bigger roster is kinda meh.

The rest of your suggestions doesn't change anything, still the big alliances/clans have benefits from that.
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Garem

• Count
  • Renown: 268
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • The Black Company forums
  • Faction: The Black Company
  • Game nicks: Garem_BlackCompany
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 07:06:08 pm »
Lower the roster sizes? It's really not that hard to fill a roster. Get creative.
The Black Company's Strategus Trainer
http://forum.melee.org/faction-halls/black-company-recruiting-na/
Forums: http://nadeathsquad.freeforums.org/
Formerly of the Fallen Brigade, Homeys4Lyfe

Offline Beauchamp

• Earl
  • Renown: 427
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
    • Personal portfolio
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 07:40:50 pm »
Lower the roster sizes? It's really not that hard to fill a roster. Get creative.

for neutrals?
OOODDIIINVALHALLAAAAAAA on the 20th of April 2011: What I know is that... heh, eh ja how can I explain? ...deh feeling to believe in Odin is right, dat is what I say, ja?!

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 09:44:04 pm »

As one of the big carebear factions and the biggest clan on strategus its easy for sure. Now Fallen move along please, nothing to see for you here!
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)