Author Topic: Mega-Alliances: Who's To Blame, What To Do?  (Read 9824 times)

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
Mega-Alliances: Who's To Blame, What To Do?
« on: September 25, 2012, 04:26:22 am »
+25
People complain about UIF mega alliances, but funny I remember strat 2.0 began with a mega alliance instantly forming with Shogunate, Searaiders, Pecores, ATS (The Northern Empire), Templars and maybe some others to invade LLJK in the southern desert and wipe us out of the game, because "they aren't like us.. they don't take the game seriously.. they play for FUN!!"  Also fear mongering about our plated chargers blotting out the sun, etc.

Top secret undercover goon espionage teamspeak recording of the conspiracy here:  http://www.mediafire.com/?bbk3h4ungh65hki

After we heroically defended ourselves against an unjust and unfair crusade, we found ourselves surrounded by enemies, with pockets of french resistance by the Pecores inside our borders.  Any time we attempted to make a move, our accounts were hacked, our armies deposited into neutral castles, our rosters deleted seconds before a battle began, endlessly griefed by suspiciously adept hackers that were never brought to justice.

And what did you know, eventually we found some friends out there.  Clans who also had shit experiences dealing with people like Fallen, Templars, Shogunate, The Northern Empire, and many other factions that were all about lying and manipulating players or cheating and exploiting game mechanics to win.  They had common enemies with us, and only together did we come close to having a chance to win a war.

Those guys were Risen, Bashibazouks, Union, and Legione Italica.  Every meeting with them was hilarious, because I felt like I was part of a criminal conspiracy with Turks, Italians, and Russians who often seemed to not trust each other but had to work together to win a war.  We had many, many battles, helping each other out on different ping, sharing troops or gold, and fucking clans up who everyone got sick of.  They were all "UIF" at that point but it was obvious they never received any actual help from DRZ or Grey Order except mercs and a safe border.

The thing is I've dealt with tons of clans in all the versions of Strat as a diplomat, leader, whatever.  And those UIF guys were some of the most reliable, honest, and fun people to play the game with.  Many other major clans had leaders or strategies that were all about lying, backstabbing, scheming, exploiting, shitposting, generally being really awful to play with and very easy to hate.

So to be honest, if you want to have a reason to blame the UIF for ruining strat, you can start with looking at how awful some of the other clans have been and how easy it was to find common ground in wanting to kill them in Internet Swords and Horses.

Most importantly, go ahead and attack one of those clans in the UIF.  I guarantee they will welcome and enjoy the battle, and will fight fair until they win or lose with little to no help from other UIF clans except in mercs unless they need a place to regroup and rebuild, or multiple clans are involved.  That's how its always been before, and how all alliances should be.  No need to be paralysed in fear and inaction, or to only attack smaller clans in 5 to 1 stomps, or to proxy war by funnelling endless supplies to another clan so they faceroll themsleves to a win.  NA or EU, alliance or independent, vassal or master, play the game, fight some battles, and have fun, you pussies.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 04:52:59 am by Smoothrich »
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline PhantomZero

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
  • I'm going to need you playing at 6AM on Saturday..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BIRD CLAN
  • Game nicks: POSTMASTER_PHANTOM0_OF_BIRD
  • IRC nick: PhantomZero
Re: Mega-Alliances: Who's To Blame, What To Do?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 07:17:41 am »
+1
I remember those battles well, and they were a lot of fun for all involved. Even the time we retook a village that the Pecores didn't bother defending so it was just a big naked peasant slaughter, and we still somehow managed to have a casualty because some goon dropped his lance.

I honestly couldn't even understand the thick accent of the EU faction leaders helping us half the time, but it sure was fun playing with them in the EU battles.

Strategus is fun because the battles matter, it isn't like a cRPG battle or siege. But if there aren't any battles Strategus isn't very fun. I hope the bank to win heirlooms doesn't cause people to stop having battles.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 07:20:45 am by PhantomZero »

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 08:47:27 am »
+4
In before this thread is consumed in flames

Offline Thovex

• Marshall
  • Renown: 851
  • Infamy: 210
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Thovex
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 09:51:53 am »
+1
In before this thread is consumed in flames

Doesn't matter Vibe, good to see there is still people who can think.

I loved the time beating up everyone with LLJK as Risen.  :D

Maybe chadz should give this a read instead of +ing Teeth about his silly whine about how friendships, teamwork, trust and coalitions can win the game.

Combine clans with no real friendship, no real trust, no real teamwork (or skill?  :P) and you get one of these falling-apart in week 1 coalitions.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 09:56:56 am by Thovex »

Offline KingBread

• Earl
  • Renown: 445
  • Infamy: 42
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: KingBread
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 10:08:44 am »
+10
Only reasonable nerf for alliance is to nerf trust and frienship. So i think there should be a team speak virus which will change what you are saying during diplomatic chats

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 10:50:57 am »
What about the other side, Thovex? You can't be friendly with them? "No grudges carried over" etc, that's what okiN said. I think that Strategus can be a friendly thing even with factions that are at war, I don't think this extreme us-against-them mentality is good either.

Yet it's in the human nature, so what can one do?

Everyone has their own perspective about previous rounds, even mine was coloured with some resentment of LLJK in Strat 1 when I was in Shogunate. So what makes every subsequent round any different? It doesn't, I think grudges are carried over forever until someone attemtps to communicate the other party that they're willing to be friendly. And this has not happened ever since The Union joined UIF after almost getting wiped by DRZ, but that was to save their own asses.

As long as we have this distrust contra trust for two large blocs, it will carry on forever.

Maybe it would be better for everyone if they mixed the two blocs with each other just to see what it's like fighting with people you don't "trust". :lol:
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • Renown: 1399
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Cooties
  • IRC nick: Nessaj
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 11:02:08 am »
+6
I agree, except for the heroic part (nothing heroic about continuously attacking at 4/5/6am :P).

Its an evil circle. There's always been mega-blocs. When one dies another emerges. What we need is gameplay features that discourages huge alliances and more localized wars. Though that is just half of the problem.

The other half is rosters for battles, people don't want good players signing against them etc, so they forge alliances to trade player support.

What could be changed in order to allow for people to more freely sign for battles without "offending" each other?
E.g. why would you help/trade/whatever with a clan where their players fight against you in battles. Especially now that Strategus has more meaning to it than just creating battles for XP, given the introduction of the heirloom bank.
Most clans consider anyone who sign against them in battle to be enemies (or at least hostile).

The easiest solution to it all would be adding more players to the mod, given there'd be more available for sign-ups..

Otherwise, now is the time to come up with some grand ideas that doesn't involve naively trusting in the good of mankind :wink:

Perhaps an idea would be to introduce overall factions clans could sign-up under;
E.g. North/West/South/East & 'Bandit' (could give the factions whatever names, like Single Player).
Introduce XP/gold bonuses for the factions with less players/resources to balance out everything.
You cannot attack anyone who's in your overall faction, and perhaps trading outside ones faction should be disabled too but that'd be up for a discussion, if it is only goods then maybe, but definitely no equipment or troops/gold.

The clan with most fiefs in the North section would automatically become the ruling clan (doesn't give additional gameplay features) of the Norths lands/area -- however those areas would be carved out on the map.
(Introduce additional pink titles, more than simple 'Lords' e.g. Warlord of X Area, or Duke if its "Swadia"-area).
Then at least people would want their clan to either hold specific parts of the lands, or perhaps try and become the ruling factor of the specific faction area, it should keep at least two clans fighting each other in every faction section of the map.

The biggest problem would be figuring out how many factions we need in order to make sure there's plenty of battles with a fair amount of people signed for each side - IMO 3 factions plus bandit faction = 4 total - and then making sure that people divide themselves as fairly as possible into those factions, where-as most probably would chose based on style if the factions are to resemble something specific, e.g. Rhodoks/Swadia and so on.

You cannot leave your faction after having chosen a side, it would completely reset your Strategus character and lock it for a 7 (?) day period.

Include all of the above plus the corruption feature that has been talked about and it'd perfect IMHO.

Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 11:27:03 am »
+2
EU strat once a big alliance wins

Offline Thovex

• Marshall
  • Renown: 851
  • Infamy: 210
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thovex
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 11:48:21 am »
+1
What about the other side, Thovex? You can't be friendly with them? "No grudges carried over" etc, that's what okiN said. I think that Strategus can be a friendly thing even with factions that are at war, I don't think this extreme us-against-them mentality is good either.

Yet it's in the human nature, so what can one do?

Everyone has their own perspective about previous rounds, even mine was coloured with some resentment of LLJK in Strat 1 when I was in Shogunate. So what makes every subsequent round any different? It doesn't, I think grudges are carried over forever until someone attemtps to communicate the other party that they're willing to be friendly. And this has not happened ever since The Union joined UIF after almost getting wiped by DRZ, but that was to save their own asses.

As long as we have this distrust contra trust for two large blocs, it will carry on forever.

Maybe it would be better for everyone if they mixed the two blocs with each other just to see what it's like fighting with people you don't "trust". :lol:

Can be friendly, but the opposite side isn't so why?  :?

I only read the first sentance because I'm too lazy fyi.  :)

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 03:15:41 pm »
Inb4 UIF immigrate to NA.

Offline Belatu

• Count
  • Renown: 242
  • Infamy: 111
  • what
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Belatucadros
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 03:18:38 pm »
Only Godzilla can get rid of this
My fridge is my shield

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 03:31:45 pm »
+3
Main problem is that regardless of what people say about not continuing any grudges or alliances to the new round of strat. Essentially DRZ 'n the Gang are once again allied as is the other side.

Would be much more interesting to see atleast the members(as in clans) of the mega alliances switched around a bit. Why not try new allies and areas to settle to spice it up a bit?

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • Renown: 965
  • Infamy: 309
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BashiBazouks
  • Game nicks: HarunYahya,HarunShootya,Inan
  • IRC nick: HarunYahya
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 03:49:00 pm »
+1
That was the first and only time i enjoyed cooperating with NA folks.
Those were good days.
Still liking LLJK and putting them outside of my "NA ? meh.." opinion.
That invasion was pretty cool and fun  :twisted:

I felt like I was part of a criminal conspiracy with Turks, Italians, and Russians who often seemed to not trust each other but had to work together to win a war.

LOL
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 03:52:36 pm by koyama »

Offline Cicero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 418
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • scourge of god
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BashiBazouks
  • Game nicks: BashiBazouks_Cicero
  • IRC nick: Cicero
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 04:03:33 pm »
Fallen "-" team is engaging smooth

Its not possible to talk about truth which is two sided as always anyway this thread will be spammed to death ; you know why ?

UIF dont have forum warriors =)

And that shows how we play the game =)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 04:08:52 pm by Cicero »

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 04:45:32 pm »
Fallen "-" team is engaging smooth

Its not possible to talk about truth which is two sided as always anyway this thread will be spammed to death ; you know why ?

UIF dont have forum warriors =)

Only warriors of Islam.