Author Topic: Archer/2H  (Read 4750 times)

Offline Hirlok

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • A friendly archer decorating your ass with arrows
    • View Profile
    • Gab.ai. Freedom of Speech matters.
  • Faction: Always Take The Shot
  • Game nicks: None that you need to know of - except Hirlok the Hermit.
Re: Archer/2H
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 04:18:26 pm »
WUT?

Currently playing a PD8/PS8 24/15 archer/2H mix and quite happy with it.

If the next patch castrates archers even more by taking away the possibility of carrying bow + two quivers + decent melee weapon, this mod has one player less.

Probably melee folks on their quest for a melee-only game won't be too sad about that, but nevertheless.

*lookingpissedoff*

IRC and posts from devs.

Hmmm - transparency is not exactly a strength of c-rpg, is it? Planned feature list, dev roadmap, open discussion... errrrrmmmm....
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 04:32:00 pm by Hirlok »
Hermit Status report : feeling a little social. Threatening melee my old friends with a comeback. Greasing the string of his old longbow. Carving certain names into the tips of his arrows...

Offline Beauchamp

• Earl
  • Renown: 427
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
    • Personal portfolio
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 04:54:32 pm »
WUT?

If the next patch castrates archers even more by taking away the possibility of carrying bow + two quivers + decent melee weapon, this mod has one player less.

Probably melee folks on their quest for a melee-only game won't be too sad about that, but nevertheless.

*lookingpissedoff*

Hmmm - transparency is not exactly a strength of c-rpg, is it? Planned feature list, dev roadmap, open discussion... errrrrmmmm....

bye bye :mrgreen:
OOODDIIINVALHALLAAAAAAA on the 20th of April 2011: What I know is that... heh, eh ja how can I explain? ...deh feeling to believe in Odin is right, dat is what I say, ja?!

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2011, 05:20:38 pm »
I will take perverse satisfaction if the new patch is true, as it means that I shall no longer melee anyone and will go for a pure jack rabbit build. This shall cause suitable amounts of rage amongst the 'melee only' players who are unable to Deal With It
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 06:43:07 pm »
I will take perverse satisfaction if the new patch is true, as it means that I shall no longer melee anyone and will go for a pure jack rabbit build. This shall cause suitable amounts of rage amongst the 'melee only' players who are unable to Deal With It

Ugh, that's exactly what I'm hoping I'd be able to avoid.  I've been enjoying playing archer with the ability to skirmish if someone get's close/ I'm feeling randy, and would hate to have to decide on going pure archer with no melee defense... as long as my trusty kherit bow only takes one slot I'll at least be able to wear a short 2-h maybe...

Frankly I do think that this will just cause more annoyance from players, because we'll see a lot more archers who run at the first sign of any melee engagement.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline MadJackMcMad

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • Hawk the Slayer's Rubbish.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: 22nd_Grumpy, 22nd_MadJackMcMad
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2011, 06:58:43 pm »
In light of this, I would suggest making 1h's more attractive when used without a shield.  Perhaps incur a prof penalty depending on the weight of the shield?
ABSURDITY, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

Offline Erasmas

• Earl
  • Renown: 483
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The crows had come
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Erasmas_the_Grey
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2011, 07:10:17 pm »
If heavy lance takes 2, and pike takes 3 slots, I'll go cav.... The world without pikes, heavy/sniper xbows and warbows and longbows. Paradise for cav  :D
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 07:11:35 pm by Erasmas »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline UlkOgan

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Pubert_the_Pale, Guard_Pewbert_the_Misguided, Guard_Puberta_the_Bald
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2011, 08:17:58 pm »
I'd suggest this:
Level 31 (8 892 403 xp)

* Strength: 12
    * Agility: 30
    * Hit points: 47

* Converted: 12
    * Ironflesh: 0
    * Power Strike: 0
    * Shield: 0
    * Athletics: 10
    * Riding: 0
    * Horse Archery: 0
    * Power Draw: 4
    * Power Throw: 0
    * Weapon Master: 6

* One Handed: 1
    * Two Handed: 1
    * Polearm: 1
    * Archery: 157
    * Crossbow: 1
    * Throwing: 1

or this:

Level 31 (8 892 403 xp)

* Strength: 9
    * Agility: 33
    * Hit points: 44

* Converted: 12
    * Ironflesh: 0
    * Power Strike: 0
    * Shield: 0
    * Athletics: 11
    * Riding: 0
    * Horse Archery: 0
    * Power Draw: 3
    * Power Throw: 0
    * Weapon Master: 6

* One Handed: 1
    * Two Handed: 1
    * Polearm: 1
    * Archery: 157
    * Crossbow: 1
    * Throwing: 1

Shoot, run...repeat until cav catches you or you're out of ammo...in that case...run and search the battlefield for ammo. Repeat.

:D
Felt Hat has been damaged and repaired for 1 gold.

Offline MouthnHoof

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: MouthnHoof
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2011, 12:04:54 pm »
To the archers that threat with running away, I got new for you: 80% of the archers do that anyway and try the jump&shoot technique.  They will stop to fight only if they outnumber the attacker or are cornered.

Also for some reason archers think that anything except the most OP melee weapons is useless. There are plenty of 1H melee guys that run around without a shield and do quite well.

For the "cavalry heaven" chaps: archers are still here and will shoot you down like dogs on horses. Your own lance will take 3 slots, so it is either a shield and nothing else (good luck when de-horsed, look for something laying around maybe?), or a 1H weapon for you too and no shield (archers shoot me). We will see a lot of short lances and infantry polearms that are under 200 reach.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2011, 01:05:50 pm »
WUT?

*lookingpissedoff*

There's a lot of decent one handers.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2011, 07:39:31 pm »
There's a lot of decent one handers.

He uses a warbow, and thus has no slots left for any melee.

Also for some reason archers think that anything except the most OP melee weapons is useless. There are plenty of 1H melee guys that run around without a shield and do quite well.

This is from dedicated archers who do not have powerstrike, and thus need a high damage weapon to avoid glancing on even chain. With a No-Dachi I still need 4 to 8 strikes to kill an average opponent due to my 0PS.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 07:41:39 pm by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2011, 08:13:24 am »
To the archers that threat with running away, I got new for you: 80% of the archers do that anyway and try the jump&shoot technique.  They will stop to fight only if they outnumber the attacker or are cornered.

Well, I'm running around and try to shoot all kind of ranged and horses mostly. I rarely target melee players outside of self or flag defence, but I need the melee weapon because some of them make a sport of backstabbing me while I'm doing them a favour. I don't run if I see any chance fighting helps my team, even though often I just do 5hp damage with my 1h. But if bows take two slots I'm not sure if this playstyle is viable anymore. So I guess I'll just stay out of trouble without melee weapon and shoot at 2h, then run around and pick up arrows, and then when I can find no more I'm sure I can find a flamberge lying around somewhere. :lol:
For the archers that just stand on a roof and shoot down and run when someone comes up nothing much has changed I guess.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2011, 08:34:27 am »
The new changes are great, will help a lot with balancing (no more than 1 set of throwing weapons with a huscarl, each 2 equipment slots).  As an archer/2her I find no problem with this.  If you've tried 1her no shield before its really not bad, just have to manual block first before you swing, they are very fast weapons.  Also, sounds like short 2hers will take up 1 slot like spiked mace and possibly bastard/longsword variety, which are all great weapons (5 most expensive sword are overused and not as functionally good as they cost).

3 scenarios:
1 longbow + 1 set of large bag of NORMAL arrows with a langes messer (92 length) (hit x and becomes a 2handed weapon) - you get 32 shots, the lower damage of normal arrows balanced by 23 pierce damage of longbow after patch

1 khergit bow + 2 sets of large bag of BODKIN arrows with long espada eslavona (103 length) -38 shots, good damage

1 khergit bow + 1 set of normal or bodkin arrows with danish/german greatsword (123/124 length) - either less damage but more shots (32) or fewer shots (19) with more damage, but balanced by increased melee damage and +20 length
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 08:38:46 am by Keshian »
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2011, 10:52:37 am »
Oh, I have no problem with the general idea of the patch.
But making bows suddenly just take 2 slots seems like fail.
What about strongbow/warbow. Just 2 more damage and takes 2 slots more ... so you are really going to take regular arrows and do less damage than a lower tier bow?
Also why pick longbow, regular arrows and 1h when you can take just 2* bodkin and loot a flamberge.
Apart from that 23 pierce + normal arrows is only 1.5 damage more than khergit + bodkin vs 50 armor ... for -50% speed rating.

edit: Only good solution that doesn't reward campers/runner would be make arrow stacks larger and let only one be taken.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 11:06:17 am by EponiCo »

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • Renown: 281
  • Infamy: 107
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Konrax of Chaos
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2011, 03:31:00 pm »
I can see them buffing the pure build weapons a bit to make them more appealing.

If a 2h weapon isn't an option for these pure build archers and you have no PD there are still 1h mace weapons that would serve as your best bet for doing some damage in melee. Moreover the knock down might be used instead as a tool to escape combat instead of a free attack for an archer.

Really adds a whole new dynamic to the game that I think will really add to this mod overall.

Offline Baron_Settmour

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: ISIS_Sterling_Archer, Fallen_Ragnvaldr
  • IRC nick: Varangian
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2011, 06:13:32 pm »
Alright, I am no friend of archers as anyone who knows me will tell you. I constantly tell them they are the scum of the game and without skill. But making a bow take up 2 slots and forcing them to choose between arrows and melee? Not a good idea and not fair. In the middle ages, archers would have always had some small melee weapon on them for personal defense (hammers, daggers, short swords, etc.). If you are going to do this, as a previous poster noted, you must make arrow stacks double what they are now.

I do look forward to seeing an end to archers that have a longbow, arrows, a shield, and a melee weapon. Unless you're an Italian pavise crossbowmen, there is no way you are running around with a shield on your back and even then, they planted the pavise as a shooting platform. They didn't keep it on their back.