Author Topic: Strength Archers  (Read 1963 times)

Offline Kirbies

• Knight
  • Renown: 62
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: kirbies, Weeaboo
Strength Archers
« on: September 15, 2012, 11:13:49 pm »
Are they viable? Anyone know a decent build? I know they would suck at range versus other archers but im thinking more like point blank-kiting bundle of sticksry and the such.
"I don't rage in chat, but I yell at my moniter alot." -SaulCanner

29031: 23:16:33 - [SpookPalace] GET TO THE FUCKING FLAG RIGHT NOW YOU JOKER BABY DICKED GINGERALE PRODUCING GURGLERS

Offline Weewum

• Count
  • Renown: 159
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Strength Archers
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 11:34:59 pm »
Just for the record, never EVER go 30/12, it sucks.

Offline theprojectnemesis

• Noble
  • Renown: 22
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 11:37:12 pm »
+3
I would say never pass the 6 Power Draw mark

Offline TurmoilTom

• King
  • Renown: 1089
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Doesn't really play that much anymore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 12:15:47 am »
I would say never pass the 6 Power Draw mark

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 12:31:12 am »
+2
Are they viable? Anyone know a decent build? I know they would suck at range versus other archers but im thinking more like point blank-kiting bundle of sticksry and the such.

Garbage useless in truth, and this is coming from someone who used to run a 24/21 post-level-30 build.

Marathon explained it the best:

I'm going to say right now, there are some good points in this thread but a whole lot of awful ones.
I hope you understand the way the player base works as min-maxing have-to-have-best-build players. Thus the best way to have people stop being kiting archers is...

THEY WAY TO FIX KITING ARCHERS IS MAKE STRENGTH BUILD ARCHERY BETTER THAN AGI KITING ARCHERY AT KILLIN' THEM DUDES.
 Currently, strength archery has 0 zero benefits over agility stacking 6 PD archery. But, what about the damage? surely strength archery does tons more currently?! It doesn't. Shik and I did some archery testing and damage comparisons between his 30/15 10 PD archer and my 18/27 Agi archer. He only does more damage than me at distances less than 20 M, and he only does barely more damage.
I'll say that again. His 10 PD longbow barely out damages my 6 PD longbow at close range, but at 20M + distance our damage is equivalent. You wouldn't know which one of us hit you if we didn't tell you.
(click to show/hide)

Okay, so Strength archery is... equivalent damage at pretty much all ranges archers shoot from.
Except he Is slower. He is inaccurate (horribly inaccurate). His bow draws slower. He is worse at everything involving archery compared to my build.
In fact, the ONLY benefit his 10 PD build has is that he has a few more hitpoints from his strength!
Garbage. I would never do  an archer over 6 PD under any circumstance under this system. OF COURSE everyone is a kiting agility archer. Seriously guys, looking at the situation all wrong :). The solution is to encourage people to not be kiting awfuls, not by heavily nerfing them, but by making something other than it viable.

I believe the solution to this is a minor nerf in damage for agility archers ( ME. I WANT TO NERF ME.) but keep the super accuracy agility archers have.
The next part is to buff the damage output of strength archers to where they should be in damage. A 10 PD longbow should be an inaccurate but high damaging cannon. Not an inaccurate same-damage-as-me.
(click to show/hide)
Fix.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 01:25:22 am by Tears of Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Templar_Steevee

• Duke
  • Renown: 613
  • Infamy: 128
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew-pew for victory!!!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Steevee, Templar_catchArabbit, Gangtroll
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 12:08:04 pm »
Hi str archer was good in pre patch time. Now, archery is good on max 6 pd.
IMO good archer is accurete archer, and because of tons of horses and hi agi bulits you have to be fast with your shooting and runnig, in other way you are dead preety fast :(
Archer forever :D

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 03:36:05 pm »
+2
This is so depressing - i come back 9 months later and find out I need to respec my level 35 archer 27-18 with 9 powerdraw because extra powerdraw and strength give no benefits but add problems.  Not sure why the change - agility-kiting archers have always been the problem for people not high strength/damage archers.  Seems a mistake was made in the calculations somewhere.

Should have more shoot speed, damage, and range but less accuracy, reload speed, kiting ability.  Not sure where developers lost that understanding of balance. 

Should I go 18-27 now with 9 athletics??
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Kirbies

• Knight
  • Renown: 62
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: kirbies, Weeaboo
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 06:29:58 pm »
Retire and get dat epeen title! goegoegoegoegoe
"I don't rage in chat, but I yell at my moniter alot." -SaulCanner

29031: 23:16:33 - [SpookPalace] GET TO THE FUCKING FLAG RIGHT NOW YOU JOKER BABY DICKED GINGERALE PRODUCING GURGLERS

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 06:34:42 pm »
+2
I say drawing speed should depend only on powerdraw, just to help ballance things out between accuracy builds and str builds.

Offline Mr_Oujamaflip

• Earl
  • Renown: 322
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Ouj Reviews!
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 06:56:36 pm »
I would like to see Power Draw affect bows differently than just power, since it's a strength based attribute I'd say let it make the flight on arrows faster or increase the fire rate, where WPF would increase accuracy and reduce upkeep.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 09:51:14 pm »
This is so depressing - i come back 9 months later and find out I need to respec my level 35 archer 27-18 with 9 powerdraw because extra powerdraw and strength give no benefits but add problems.  Not sure why the change - agility-kiting archers have always been the problem for people not high strength/damage archers.  Seems a mistake was made in the calculations somewhere.

Should have more shoot speed, damage, and range but less accuracy, reload speed, kiting ability.  Not sure where developers lost that understanding of balance. 

Should I go 18-27 now with 9 athletics??
If you can get one of those things in the auction place to respec without losing EXP to stay at 35, Totally do it.
But don't respec at level 35 to level 34...
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 12:35:04 am »
+1
If you can get one of those things in the auction place to respec without losing EXP to stay at 35, Totally do it.
But don't respec at level 35 to level 34...

Eh, if he can't afford or doesn't win the "retraining" then he should still respec, as it is absolutely frustrating to play a class that used to be competitive and then turned into junk and being out-shot by everyone and their mother due to the PD excess. Having a level 35 play like a level 30 is a bit discouraging, to say the least. That is what made me respec despite nearing level 34 was because my bonus levels were literally useless, so why bother keeping them? Granted, I'm now lower level but now I am having Fun which is the entire point of this game.

I never thought I would see the day when my 24/21 was considered an "unbalanced" class, but hey it apparently happened due to quite a few "tweaks" in the archery section stacking up. Being a 24/18 shielder is much more solid and I'm sorry to say every single "tweak" to the system from the day I joined to the present moment would not have effected the usefulness of my shielder build. Playing an archer always has and always will be a crapshoot for going above level 30, as it gets changed the most and in almost every single patch. Further proof of this is how massive the fluctuation is when it comes to archery looms, no other class has such a drastic change to the worth of major looms with the one exception of the Horses.

I've seen literally every single loom from Standard Arrows to the most powerful cut arrows to bodkins to Hornbows to Rus Bows to LongBows become the "This is what 80% of the population should use" which just screams out risk for post-30 archer builds. Kesh needs to buy a retraining or respec or be content that his level 35 build will be operating worse then a 30 build. He is basically using a level 30 18/18 build with less WM and more IF (Which is crap).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 12:43:26 am by Tears of Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline TurmoilTom

• King
  • Renown: 1089
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Doesn't really play that much anymore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 12:36:07 am »
+1
I'm now lower level but now I am having Fun which is the entire point of this game.

+1. In the end, that's all that really matters.

Offline Grumpy_Nic

• King
  • Renown: 1023
  • Infamy: 306
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Hermann_von_Krems
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 04:12:56 pm »
If infantry would make an effort in guarding archers they would not be forced to make coward-builds. When I see familiar archers ingame I'm trying to stay with them and hold off cav with my long spear. Usually works when the archer uses the teamwork (Merc_Pejlaen, Silicium, ...). Works to a limited degree also vs. inf.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 05:20:21 pm »
+1
If infantry would make an effort in guarding archers they would not be forced to make coward-builds. When I see familiar archers ingame I'm trying to stay with them and hold off cav with my long spear. Usually works when the archer uses the teamwork (Merc_Pejlaen, Silicium, ...). Works to a limited degree also vs. inf.
It has nothing to do with making 'coward' builds.
There is just no benefit to being strength archers.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.