Author Topic: Pillars of Eternity, formerly Project Eternity  (Read 17321 times)

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Pillars of Eternity, formerly Project Eternity
« Reply #180 on: April 07, 2015, 10:39:41 pm »
Sequel, how did you cope with the phantoms at Od Nua? I'm struggling there with my solo barbarian. In general I think it's been really tough on normal. Maybe I've taken talents in the wrong order, went with two weapon fighting first then accurate carnage, stalwart defiance might have been a better choice early on.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 01:17:22 am by Angantyr »

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
  • Renown: 446
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeQueL
  • IRC nick: SeQueL
« Reply #181 on: April 08, 2015, 01:21:06 am »
+1
Sequel, how did you cope with the phantoms at Od Nua? I'm struggling there with my solo barbarian. In general I think it's been really tough on normal. Maybe I've taken talents in the wrong order, went with two weapon fighting first then accurate carnage, stalwart defiance might have been a better choice early on.

Stalwart Defiance is OP. I also prefer dual wielding because as you've experienced Phantom, Spores or anything with perma knockdown/stun/mind control is hard to deal with. In times like that you need to be using figurines as bait/aggro and since I'm dual wielding in the brief time I'm not knocked down/stunned or mind control I can usually get 1-2 hits in. As for Od Nua I aggro'd them into a corner near the entrance and made sure only 1-2 of them hit me and also used a figurine (You can buy one for 5k @ gilded vale black smith) or you can get 2 more in Defiance Bay
(click to show/hide)

One of the biggest things I've learned is that you almost always wanna corner yourself if the monsters are difficult.

*Edit - Also dont do what I did and take One-Handed Style as it is not applied to dual wielding, pretty mad about that.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 01:36:23 am by SeQuel »

Offline Angantyr

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 08, 2015, 01:35:35 am »
Yes, forgot about the animat. Got a party campaign running on the side but decided to try barbarian for my first solo run.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 01:26:58 am by Angantyr »

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 08, 2015, 01:39:27 am »
Yes, forgot about the animat. Got a party campaign running on the side but decided to try barbarian for my first solo run (not a big fan of micromanaging tbh, though I like party dialogue). He is also dual wielding btw.

Forgot to mention, use traps and don't be afraid to skip hard monsters and come back to them or don't at all. First 1-5 are the hardest.

Offline Angantyr

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 08, 2015, 01:41:00 am »
Had hoped to to be able to avoid traps, generally find them boring..

*Edit - Also dont do what I did and take One-Handed Style as it is not applied to dual wielding, pretty mad about that.
Ha ha, yes I know.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 08, 2015, 04:30:33 am »
Why would it be..? The tooltips are pretty clear. There's one talent for dual wielding, one handed style, two-handed weapons and 1h+shield.

For soloing, Rogues tend to be the best and 1h+shield is pretty much a requirement, at least on harder difficulties. Probably on Normal too late in the game.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 08, 2015, 06:23:55 am »
+2
Why would it be..? The tooltips are pretty clear. There's one talent for dual wielding, one handed style, two-handed weapons and 1h+shield.

For soloing, Rogues tend to be the best and 1h+shield is pretty much a requirement, at least on harder difficulties. Probably on Normal too late in the game.

Because I'm retarded and failed to read the tool tip currently.

Offline lombardsoup

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 222
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 10, 2015, 08:25:17 am »
Are there any plans to add more content to this?  Would buy it in a heartbeat.  Best game this year so far for me.

Offline Freland

• Count
  • Renown: 172
  • Infamy: 14
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Freland
  • IRC nick: Freland
« Reply #188 on: April 10, 2015, 10:20:53 am »
+1
There will be an expansion split into two parts. It's free for kickstarter backers.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/89004/obsidian-ceo-discusses-pillars-of-eternity-its-early-success-and-its-first-expansion
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

each time you click the button, crpg gains popularity :D

Offline Angantyr

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 03, 2015, 11:05:38 pm »
+3
I've made an (evil) mercenary rifle regiment of chanters, all using arquebuses and only singing the rifle reload song, led by a Bleak Walker officer (focusing on auras), and a fighter sergeant (for when I need a meatshield), both changing between rifle and melee to spice things up a bit. Hitherto the party I've enjoyed the most.

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 04, 2015, 07:01:46 am »
I've made an (evil) mercenary rifle regiment of chanters, all using arquebuses and only singing the rifle reload song, led by a Bleak Walker officer (focusing on auras), and a fighter sergeant (for when I need a meatshield), both changing between rifle and melee to spice things up a bit. Hitherto the party I've enjoyed the most.

lmfao, nice.