Author Topic: Pillars of Eternity, formerly Project Eternity  (Read 17780 times)

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
  • Renown: 446
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeQueL
  • IRC nick: SeQueL
Re: Pillars of Eternity, formerly Project Eternity
« Reply #150 on: March 30, 2015, 05:58:49 pm »
I chose Cipher ranged but it seems weak and I hate having a shit ton of party members. Anyone got a strong build that doesnt require a full party? 4max?

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #151 on: March 30, 2015, 06:34:52 pm »
(click to show/hide)

:oops:
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 30, 2015, 08:59:19 pm »
I chose Cipher ranged but it seems weak and I hate having a shit ton of party members. Anyone got a strong build that doesnt require a full party? 4max?
Rogue, max out might (20ish if you're human and shit) (later on sleep with hookers and crap like that for massive bonuses)
19-20 dex
Rest 10

Dual wielding, take all the passives that boost your damage, dual wielding specializations (+attack speed), passive crit boosts and that "finishing blows" thing when you can. Importantly, take the blinding ability first - it lets you instakill pretty much anyone for much of the game because you get sneak attacks against blinded people. Take the ability that lets you turn invisible when targeted.

After that it's about finding good gear. Enchant some stilettos and find the stiletto that casts "Jolting Touch" or whatever on hit. It seems to do like 70-80 aoe damage whenever it triggers, and because you attack fast, it triggers more, so even against enemies that have massive DR you'll be doing tons of damage.

And as a rogue you'll have traps and all kinds of stuff. Stack up on scrolls and potions just in case.

Playing on Normal and I could very likely solo 95+% of encounters (70+% without pulling any trap tricks or using consumables), I have a party of 4 but because 2 are casters I usually leave them out of most fights (takes longer to micro them than to finish the fight with the rogue) and kill enemies with my rogue while my fighter tanks.

My first rogue was fucked because I was still in D&D mode and took like 12 might and focused on dex and perception. This rogue has been destroying stuff from day 1. My main's done something like 14k damage so far, my fighter has done 3k and then a mage and a priest have done 0.5-2k.

Oh yeah, and you can initiate fights with arquebus sneak attacks. It's enough to insta kill one enemy quite often.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Voso

• Earl
  • Renown: 330
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The So-so.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Huey's Cavalieres
« Reply #153 on: March 31, 2015, 03:00:36 am »

Ranged ciphers are incredibly powerful. Especially if you pick up a blunderbuss, each bullet from the blunderbuss adds focus individually and you can just smack people with high damage Mind Wave and Mind Blades repeatedly. I think they are currently the highest damage class, as well as having lots of CC.

I agree about the 4 people thing. I didn't like how 6 felt at all.. I have 2 fighters for tanks a priest in case they need heals or something and my cipher who kills everything. It works really well but I think there are a ton of combinations that should work.

There are old sellswords and bold sellswords, but there are no old, bold sellswords.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #154 on: March 31, 2015, 05:06:30 am »
Haven't got to play much yet but is it bad my character is a Priest? lol. Well not that I will change it, it's what I wanted to play as. I too also wouldn't want 6 party members tbh I find I struggle to care much about characters when there are too many of them, 4 would be my perfect number and IMO forces more choices to be made and leads to more tactical thinking.

Offline Voso

• Earl
  • Renown: 330
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The So-so.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Huey's Cavalieres
« Reply #155 on: March 31, 2015, 05:33:05 am »
Haven't got to play much yet but is it bad my character is a Priest? lol. Well not that I will change it, it's what I wanted to play as. I too also wouldn't want 6 party members tbh I find I struggle to care much about characters when there are too many of them, 4 would be my perfect number and IMO forces more choices to be made and leads to more tactical thinking.

Priest is pretty good, most parties have them just most people seem to prefer them as a henchman and make their main character the damage dealer. It doesn't really make a difference honestly since you can make custom henchmen at the Inns.

I think its just because the damage dealers require the most attention, at least my cipher does. I send in my fighters and they just auto attack and my priest has a crossbow and just auto attacks until I need a heal. The only one I actually need to control and use skills on constantly is the cipher.

There are old sellswords and bold sellswords, but there are no old, bold sellswords.

Offline Brutii

• Knight
  • Renown: 31
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Brutii, SmokeyMcPot
« Reply #156 on: March 31, 2015, 01:26:40 pm »
Ranged ciphers are incredibly powerful. Especially if you pick up a blunderbuss, each bullet from the blunderbuss adds focus individually and you can just smack people with high damage Mind Wave and Mind Blades repeatedly. I think they are currently the highest damage class, as well as having lots of CC.

I agree about the 4 people thing. I didn't like how 6 felt at all.. I have 2 fighters for tanks a priest in case they need heals or something and my cipher who kills everything. It works really well but I think there are a ton of combinations that should work.

Yeah Ciphers do really good damage and CC.  Be sure to take the draining whip talent if you take a blunderbuss, you'll never run out of focus. I actually rerolled because the class felt like to much eazy mode, that and some nasty bugs I encounterd.

Offline Vovka

• King
  • Renown: 1174
  • Infamy: 240
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Druzhina
  • Game nicks: Druzhina_Vovka
  • IRC nick: Vovka
« Reply #157 on: April 01, 2015, 09:36:05 am »
retarded stealth mechanics,  but otherwise the game is good oh and any character even if he is priest or singer can deal 50-60 damage with a crossbow retarded as well

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2791
  • Infamy: 711
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 01, 2015, 05:38:29 pm »
+1
Very nice, looking forward to it. Will still miss the hilarious combat narrative from Fallout, though.

Offline Brutii

• Knight
  • Renown: 31
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Brutii, SmokeyMcPot

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 01, 2015, 07:31:49 pm »
Pillars of Eternity Patch 1.10 Introduces Turn-based Combat Mode, Overhauls Attribute System
Doesn't sound very good, in all honesty. You can't just slap "turn based" and "action points" on a combat system not designed for it. Or well, you can, but it won't be nearly as good as D:OS combat. So while it could have been legit, it wouldn't have worked at all. Would just be boring with PoE mechanics.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Mala

• Earl
  • Renown: 412
  • Infamy: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 01, 2015, 07:42:34 pm »
+1
calendar date and so.

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 02, 2015, 12:32:50 am »
My PC is a Bleak Walker paladin, and I've just had him raise a little child above his head and then throw it hard, and with an audible crack, against the cobblestones. There's some pretty strong dialogue for 'cruel and 'aggressive'. Like forcing a crying woman to have sex with you in F2.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 01:04:23 am by Angantyr »

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #164 on: April 02, 2015, 09:29:03 am »
+1
Doesn't sound very good, in all honesty. You can't just slap "turn based" and "action points" on a combat system not designed for it. Or well, you can, but it won't be nearly as good as D:OS combat. So while it could have been legit, it wouldn't have worked at all. Would just be boring with PoE mechanics.

The April Fools was obvious but to be honest when they mentioned Temple of Elemental Evil like combat I felt a little sad because I actually really enjoyed the turn based combat in that game.