Author Topic: Marketing?  (Read 1113 times)

Offline Skyline

• Knight
  • Renown: 64
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • My youtube
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Skyline
  • IRC nick: Skyline
Marketing?
« on: September 11, 2012, 08:09:25 pm »
I think it would be a grand idea to get the CRPG mod out there alot more for the public to see..... The change to the home page is a nice start but could still use some more.

Seems with the influx of new M&B people with the Napoleonic release and new people in native all the time, none of them have any idea a mod like this exists. Of course i know this takes some work to do, but i think the population would boom pretty decent if ya figured out away to get it out there in a more public form.

Common sense is not so common.

"Anyways, there is no TK in this screenshot.  Only one guy killing another"  - Smoothrich

Offline Dr_Pockets

• Knight
  • Renown: 75
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dr_Pockets
  • IRC nick: Dr_Pockets
Re: Marketing?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 11:33:28 pm »
What about on the official Mount and Blade Forum? Like it is now? I can't really see where else we can put it except for online forums
GG Spookfans

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 11:34:47 pm »
+1
Reddit.

http://reddit.com/r/mountandblade

Unfortunately, it's full of scrubs who think that archery is the only way to go because Agincourt, and then get mad when we cut them down.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 11:58:13 pm »
+1
Everybody on Taleworlds forums hates cRPG.

Also, everybody on Taleworlds forums seems to be a douchebag. But that's probably subjective.

Offline PhigNewtenz

• Knight
  • Renown: 74
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Literally A Clan
  • Game nicks: Literally_PhigNewtenz, Literally_Not_PhigNewtenz
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 03:53:51 pm »
It's true that 'word of mouth' marketing can only take you so far, but in the case of cRPG it still has a long way to go before it dries up.

Is there any way to motivate players to get their friends playing? I've gotten at least five of my friends to start playing since I was introduced to the mod, and a focus on this type of 'marketing' could help a lot.

What I'm talking about is some sort of referral program. Allow current players to 'refer' their friends and get some sort of benefit for doing so. This could be gold, experience, or even something as valuable as a loom point. Another option (that only some would probably care about) is a special in-game or forum title for referring certain benchmark numbers of new players.

New players would simply have to say who referred them. Rewards could be given when the referred player activates an account on a new CD key, or delayed until the new player reaches a certain level (i.e. 30 or 31; by then I think we'll have them hooked).

Is this viable? It would take work to set up, but could definitely help get the game out there.

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 03:56:27 pm »
There's always stuff like ModDb. That's always a good place to advertise mods.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 04:04:38 pm »
It's true that 'word of mouth' marketing can only take you so far, but in the case of cRPG it still has a long way to go before it dries up.

Is there any way to motivate players to get their friends playing? I've gotten at least five of my friends to start playing since I was introduced to the mod, and a focus on this type of 'marketing' could help a lot.

What I'm talking about is some sort of referral program. Allow current players to 'refer' their friends and get some sort of benefit for doing so. This could be gold, experience, or even something as valuable as a loom point. Another option (that only some would probably care about) is a special in-game or forum title for referring certain benchmark numbers of new players.

New players would simply have to say who referred them. Rewards could be given when the referred player activates an account on a new CD key, or delayed until the new player reaches a certain level (i.e. 30 or 31; by then I think we'll have them hooked).

Is this viable? It would take work to set up, but could definitely help get the game out there.

Referrals are a horrible way of marketing. Sure, it gets some people, but gives the advertised thing an overall bad image.

Offline PhigNewtenz

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 04:20:18 pm »
I've never gotten that sense, but if that's really the case then I guess it would be a bad idea.

I find most games I play by referral; some official referral programs with benefits, some not. Ideally, cRPGers should all be trying to get their friends started so they have more fun people to play with and should be doing so without some material motivation. I would guess that this isn't happening.

I enjoy the novelty of playing 10v10 battle as much as the next person, but there comes a time when growing the community becomes a necessity.

This is just one idea. How would you go about advertising?

Offline beniliusbob

• Knight
  • Renown: 37
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Valmaximoron, Osgod, Gorlinquist, Sultan_bin_SHIELDWALL, Toltbhrower
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 05:39:12 pm »
My friends introduced me to cRPG, but now they rarely play--more or less because of rage.

This is a pretty elite mod. Pretty much anyone can jump on the Native TD servers anytime and crush their enemies, but it takes a long time to get half-decent at cRPG. I still can't reliably earn myself a positive K/D ratio during a battle after playing for a year and switching to easy-mode (i.e. 2h). Might be hard to sell the public on this game BECAUSE THE PUBLIC IS A RABBLE.

Offline PhigNewtenz

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 05:48:43 pm »
Yup. The learning curve is intense. The good thing about being introduced to the game by a friend is that they can likely help you out with tips and advice. (That's why I'm in favor of referrals)

Another pool of people we may be able to draw from is (soon to be) disgruntled War of the Roses players. They'll have already been exposed to the play style a bit, and we might be able to sell them on a more interesting challenge in cRPG. Will it be easy or truthful? Who knows. It might be worth an effort though.

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 06:03:12 pm »
I have tried to get some pals of mine to play but the fact is that alot of people dont want to learn, they simply say:"shit game, fuck this" because they suck at it and rather play gay games like CoD, plug n play no-skill shit.
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline Skyline

• Knight
  • Renown: 64
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • My youtube
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Skyline
  • IRC nick: Skyline
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 06:12:08 pm »
Yea i have gotten 4 or 5 over myself. All of which love the mod, and i have been posting it about other gaming forums. Some of the posting has got me banned from several forums already lol. Sucks people dont like harder games :(
Common sense is not so common.

"Anyways, there is no TK in this screenshot.  Only one guy killing another"  - Smoothrich

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 06:44:33 pm »
Yup. The learning curve is intense.

All what you can propose to absolutely new player is — «Hey you - you'll be a cannon fodder for 6 months».
All what you can propose to player with some experience in Native mp is -  «Let's play in slow and strange version of Native mp. And yes - you'll be cannon fodder for 4 months at least. Also we know all shit about medieval weaponry so we nerf everything that you have used before».

You still think that any sane player will play this game? Consider this game with Dayz for example, where you can receive all what you need in 2-4 hours.

Offline PhigNewtenz

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 07:11:10 pm »
Bah. It's steep, but not that steep. One of the friends I introduced to the game went polearm his first gen, grabbed a pike, and was useful supporting and warding off horses by level 20. Learning all the intricacies of dueling may take an absurdly long time, but that's not all there is to the game.

You still think that any sane player will play this game? Consider this game with Dayz for example, where you can receive all what you need in 2-4 hours.

Two responses:
  • Not everyone wants to be spoon fed the skills they need for a game. I, for one, like to work hard at a game and learn for myself.
  • Are you saying that you're insane? If that's not what you're saying, then why do you play?

Edit to tie this in to the topic: As far as advertising goes, any effort to bring new players into the game needs to be matched by an effort to let them learn fairly without being pub-stomped prohibitively by more experienced players. Otherwise, they'll just leave.

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 07:42:52 pm »
Bah. It's steep, but not that steep. One of the friends I introduced to the game went polearm his first gen, grabbed a pike, and was useful supporting and warding off horses by level 20. Learning all the intricacies of dueling may take an absurdly long time, but that's not all there is to the game.

Two responses:
  • Not everyone wants to be spoon fed the skills they need for a game. I, for one, like to work hard at a game and learn for myself.
  • Are you saying that you're insane? If that's not what you're saying, then why do you play?

Edit to tie this in to the topic: As far as advertising goes, any effort to bring new players into the game needs to be matched by an effort to let them learn fairly without being pub-stomped prohibitively by more experienced players. Otherwise, they'll just leave.

When I have started to play this game there were no looms at all. This was best time for any player to join. Also first strategus was fun enough.