Author Topic: Cut, pierce and blunt dommage  (Read 1721 times)

Offline theprojectnemesis

• Noble
  • Renown: 22
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Cut, pierce and blunt dommage
« on: September 07, 2012, 01:06:34 am »
Is there a theorical way to know what that equals in that? For exemple what 46 cut represent in pierce dommage and what 43 blunt represent in the others etc? Is there a link between them that would let you somehow see a direct difference?

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
Re: Cut, pierce and blunt dommage
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 01:19:12 am »
Is there a theorical way to know what that equals in that? For exemple what 46 cut represent in pierce dommage and what 43 blunt represent in the others etc? Is there a link between them that would let you somehow see a direct difference?

There isn't really an exact correlation. You would have to chart it out as the amount of armor your opponent is wearing makes a huge difference. Basically, blunt and pierce are very similar damage-wise. Pierce weapons are usually faster and blunt weapons have knockdown and do more damage to VERY heavily armored opponents.

Cut weapons are terrible vs any armor and get more terrible as the armor level goes up. They are usually the fastest weapons with the longest length however. (not counting spears)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 08:17:33 am »
Blunt weapons also tend to (From my experience) glance much less than pierce, though they don't tend to do quite as much damage on really solid hits. I got oneshot by an overhead from a morningstar a couple days ago with 61 head armor 21 STR and 4 IF, never been oneshot by a great maul with this build even against full strength builds. However, it's almost impossible to force glances on blunt weapons.

iirc this was backed up by the formula for pierce cutting more damage from the top of the hit, but having a lower % cut, while blunt having very low cut from the top but a higher % cut.

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 09:57:54 am »
+10
It's rather complicated. There are two mechanics that make the armor value prevent damage, soak and reduce. Soak just takes away a fixed chunk of the incoming damage, no matter how strong a hit is. So it's the main reason why peasant attacks or sweetspot fails glance against plate. Reduce, which comes after soak calculation-wise, on the other hand removes a percentage of the incoming damage and thus the stronger the attack the more is prevented by the reduce mechanic.

The 3 damage types now behave differently(set in the module.ini with parameters) when handling soak and reduce. Blunt damage gets a bonus for overcoming soak and should in theory suffer less from glances with weak attacks than the other types. Pierce gets a bonus against reduce and so strong attacks against heavy armor  are weakened the least with this damage type(in theory). Cut sucks against both soak and reduce and is the worst type in terms of overcoming armor.

----

Anyway, this concept doesn't really work well because one armor value isn't really enough to put a significant difference between blunt and pierce. I'd rather have more than one (local) armor value for an armor to describe how good cut/pierce/blunt performs against it. Ideally the piece of equipment would get seperate cut, pierce and blunt (c/p/b) defense values. With that I could make maille armor (60/35/25) strong against cut while weak against pierce and blunt. Padded armor (25/20/40) could perform well against blunt and plate (75/65/55) could be good against anything.

It could be done with giving an armor two new attributes,  the pierce and blunt multipliers. A default value of 100 for both would mean no difference for handling the different damage types(for example40/40/40). 50 for pierce and 75 for blunt here would lead to (40/20/30). In the damage calc it would check what type the incoming damage is and take the related armor type multiplier from the armor. With that we could get rid off the global soak and blunt multipliers from the damage types that are used to set cut/pierce/blunt apart at the moment.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 04:01:19 pm by Paul »

Offline Largg

• Earl
  • Renown: 321
  • Infamy: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 10:13:54 am »
+2

Anyway, this concept doesn't really work well because one armor value isn't really enough to put a significant difference between blunt and pierce. I'd rather have more than one (local) armor value for an armor to describe how good cut/pierce/blunt performs against it. Ideally the piece of equipment would get seperate cut, pierce and blunt (c/p/b) defense values. With that I could make maille armor (60/35/25) strong against cut while weak against pierce and blunt. Padded armor (25/20/40) could perform well against blunt and plate (75/65/55) could be good against anything.

I want this type of armor behavior in c-rpg more than anything else. Please keep this idea alive.

Offline agweber

• Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Beware the Coming of the Great White Handkerchief
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FIDLGB
  • Game nicks: Armentia, Ranged
  • IRC nick: agweber
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 05:38:58 pm »
I also want that armor mechanic. I'd upvote it if I could, for some reason I have no voting options. Mep. But yeah, totally awesome idea.

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 07:36:51 pm »
Paul, why do you keep taunting us with this talk of great features?!

Offline Stormcrow

• Knight
  • Renown: 61
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player
  • The spirit is willing, but the body is weak
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Stormcrow, Ragnarok
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 08:20:04 pm »
just use the character builder for a rough idea
Gen 19 lvl34 archer

Offline Nehvar

• Duke
  • Renown: 550
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 08:56:35 pm »
+1
Words

Is it possible? Please tell me this is possible.  I will give you my neighbors firstborn for this.
WSE2 gives us the key to a wonderful world of butthurt...

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 09:28:15 pm »
So Meow troubleshoots and PRs and helps people, Paul is the mechanics wizard, Shik does stuff about "historical accuracy" (Whatever that is, psh), and Fasader... Derps around and breaks things? Judging solely off of public appearances that is.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 02:03:18 am »
+1
Is it possible? Please tell me this is possible.  I will give you my neighbors firstborn for this.
With the new client, yes. (Soon, like December 2012 soon!)
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character