Author Topic: Secondary modes explained? Also which wpf do they base off?  (Read 3928 times)

Offline WhiteAndMilky

• Knight
  • Renown: 32
  • Infamy: 16
    • View Profile
Secondary modes explained? Also which wpf do they base off?
« on: September 06, 2012, 01:14:21 pm »
Hello! I am thinking of making a super speedy ninja type character that weaves through crowds slashing foes and forcing them to team wound each other more than they wound me. So I was thinking of using a 1h in the secondary 2h mode, for the shortened length in close quarters. But I really don't know much about these secondary modes, as I have only use it once with a great sword to go pole arm and take out a horse...

Questions:

1. What are the secondary modes for the different types of weapons that allow it?

2. If I switch into a secondary mode, is it using the weapon proficiency of the normal mode, or is it using the new secondary ode types? (example: does a 2h greatsword in pole arm mode use 2h wpf or pole arm wpf?)

3. People say 1h weapons glance a lot? Well does the same sword used in 2h mode glance as much as it does in 1h mode, provided that it had the same wpf level?

4. What are some of the best weapons to use in secondary mode?

I can think of some cool builds that could really incorporate these secondary modes,but I just don't know enough about it t this time. Any help is appreciated! Have a good one!

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Secondary modes explained? Also which wpf do they base off?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 01:16:15 pm »
Secondary mode 1H won't work as there's speed penalty (30%?) when you enter 2h mode. Just grab a Katana instead and spam that shit.

Offline WhiteAndMilky

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 01:19:27 pm »
Secondary mode 1H won't work as there's speed penalty (30%?) when you enter 2h mode. Just grab a Katana instead and spam that shit.

Oh bummer. Well when I said ninja I just thought it would be easier for people to grasp what I wanted to do, but I'd actually like to use normal swords, more like a duelist assasin.

Does that go for any weapon types secondary mode? There is always a 30% speed penalty?

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 01:26:26 pm »
Oh bummer. Well when I said ninja I just thought it would be easier for people to grasp what I wanted to do, but I'd actually like to use normal swords, more like a duelist assasin.

Does that go for any weapon types secondary mode? There is always a 30% speed penalty?

Ehh not sure really, would have to look it up. Not even sure if the speed penalty is 30%. Either way, using 1h in 2h mode isn't really worth it. You're better off using a short 2h, I would suggest Heavy Bastard Sword or a fast 1h, like the Italian Sword or something, if you want an assassin type character.

Offline HUtH

• Baron
  • Renown: 94
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 02:24:31 pm »
What? Eg. Langes messer has a -30% speed in 2h? So even if it hase 100 speed in 2h, it's actually 70? I don't think so.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sorry
for
my
terrible
English

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 02:38:28 pm »
What? Eg. Langes messer has a -30% speed in 2h? So even if it hase 100 speed in 2h, it's actually 70? I don't think so.

Yeah like I said, I'm not sure what the real value is. Maybe there even isn't a speed reduction, but I doubt that.

Offline Nehvar

• Duke
  • Renown: 550
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 03:01:58 pm »
+2
The speed penalty you're thinking of I believe applies when you use a two-hander or polearm as a (non-secondary mode) one-hander.  There is no special penalty to secondary modes as far as I know.  They do, however, often use a different WPF; like the secondary mode of most 2H swords.  A player with a longsword and 150 2H/1 pole WPF will be a lot slower with his weapon in secondary mode since the longsword's secondary uses polearm WPF.  (Not to mention it also having a lower speed stat.)  A two-hander using a langes messer in secondary mode will not see any penalties though.
WSE2 gives us the key to a wonderful world of butthurt...

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 04:41:06 pm »
+1
You are thinking of bastard swords used with a shield or when 2hs are used mounted. The Secondary modes (actived by pressing x) does NOT have these penalties. You completely change the class.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 04:53:12 pm »
+3
Vibe nub.

(click to show/hide)
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline WhiteAndMilky

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 05:17:08 pm »
You are thinking of bastard swords used with a shield or when 2hs are used mounted. The Secondary modes (actived by pressing x) does NOT have these penalties. You completely change the class.

Yay that's what I wanted to hear!

Also I changed my secondary mode key to Alt. I started using this with napoleonic wars since you switch to bayonets so often. It lets you go in and out of alt mode without removing your fingers from the wasd keys.

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 05:43:45 pm »
1. You can see it ingame, but on the website you can only guess what the secondary mode is. For high grade 2h swords it is polearm mode, and so on. Either way, seconday mod is useless in the most cases (except 1h which become 2h in secondary mode).

I would recommend Heavy Bastard Sword, because it's fast, has a good damage and reach, and also 2h stab is cool.
It can be used with shield, as 2h, and as polearm. In any case you need apropriate wpf (1h. 2h, polearm), so if your build has wpf only in 2h, there's no sense in using secondary mode or shield with this sword.
About glancing - it totally depends on your footwork, damage of your weapon and type of damage. 1h glanses more just because it has lower damage in average. Weapons with blunt or pierce damage almost never glance at all.

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 06:01:39 pm »
+1
Don't count out the military scythe or military sickle. I forget the name, it's one of those two. It's in the 1h category, with a 2h secondary. It's pierce damage which is fantastic against heavily armoured folks, it has weird-ass animations that people are not used to because almost NOBODY uses the thing. It's also fast enough for your purposes, I think.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 06:08:46 pm »
+1
1. You can see it ingame, but on the website you can only guess what the secondary mode is. For high grade 2h swords it is polearm mode, and so on. Either way, seconday mod is useless in the most cases (except 1h which become 2h in secondary mode).

-snip-
I am sorry, but almost all of the secondary modes have a use. Halfswording especially is really badass if you're just smart enough to know when to use it. A MW German has 31 pierce in secondary mode, IIRC, and using that in a gatehouse or something can be devastating. It also fucks peoples mind over since they don't expect the polarm animations.

The secondary modes that goes from cut-->blunt/pierce are all very good. Take the Voulge for example. Sure, it gets slower than, but when you are fighting tincans it's fast enough and the pierce damage really helps. Many a times have I fucked over tincans with the voulge's secondary mode. Same with the poleaxes and their secondary modes. Knockdown is always useful, so those are REALLY nice, especially when you sneak up behind someone, change to secondary, hold the attack and, BAM, whack their heads doing shitloads of damage only to see them also getting knockdowned meaning you get a free second held overhead on them. Almost makes me cum :D

And not forget the secondary modes for throwing. They are all also useful. Do I have to explain why? Same with the 1h-->2h secondary modes.

The only useless secondary modes are the blunt-->pierce ones. They really don't got anything one them. Sure, you might get some more speed, but you usually lose some damage too AND you lose knockdown, which is so, soooooooo sweet.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline WhiteAndMilky

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 07:56:25 pm »

The secondary modes that goes from cut-->blunt/pierce are all very good. Take the Voulge for example. Sure, it gets slower than, but when you are fighting tincans it's fast enough and the pierce damage really helps. Many a times have I fucked over tincans with the voulge's secondary mode. Same with the poleaxes and their secondary modes. Knockdown is always useful, so those are REALLY nice, especially when you sneak up behind someone, change to secondary, hold the attack and, BAM, whack their heads doing shitloads of damage only to see them also getting knockdowned meaning you get a free second held overhead on them. Almost makes me cum :D

The only useless secondary modes are the blunt-->pierce ones. They really don't got anything one them. Sure, you might get some more speed, but you usually lose some damage too AND you lose knockdown, which is so, soooooooo sweet.

How do you know when it is changing to pierce or blunt? Just guess based on the animation and the look of the weapon?

Offline PhigNewtenz

• Knight
  • Renown: 74
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Literally A Clan
  • Game nicks: Literally_PhigNewtenz, Literally_Not_PhigNewtenz
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 08:22:28 pm »
How do you know when it is changing to pierce or blunt? Just guess based on the animation and the look of the weapon?

That's what I've always done with my Poleaxe and Bec. It's not too hard to keep track of mentally, and you can look if you forget.