15 (29.4%)
Eh... I'm on the fence.
3 (5.9%)
No, I don't think it's really fair.
3 (5.9%)
No, it's bullshit.
6 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author Topic: Mallets/Mauls  (Read 2860 times)

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
Re: Mallets/Mauls
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 08:51:12 pm »
Of course it was easy to get a high KD with a "noob-killer" weapon.  You play on EU.  (and no one uses longswords there)

tsk tsk....  :?
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2012, 09:27:57 pm »
Strength build with full plate and a crushthrough weapon get a lot of kills, news at 11.
Because it's OP?

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2012, 09:43:38 pm »
Because it's OP?

Just because you get a lot of kills doesn't mean it is good or OP. Any idiot can roll a 36/3 build with 12 ps and 12 if, grab a long polearm/greatsword and rack up a high kdr. That doesn't mean its over powered.

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 09:46:10 pm »
Just because you get a lot of kills doesn't mean it is good or OP. Any idiot can roll a 36/3 build with 12 ps and 12 if, grab a long polearm/greatsword and rack up a high kdr. That doesn't mean its over powered.

Strength builds and heavy armor with maxed IF is pretty damn OP all things considered, the weapon you use doesn't really matter.  You just take SO many fucking hits from most players they will sooner die of boredom than you die from glances.
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2012, 09:50:47 pm »
+2
Strength builds and heavy armor with maxed IF is pretty damn OP all things considered, the weapon you use doesn't really matter.  You just take SO many fucking hits from most players they will sooner die of boredom than you die from glances.

I don't think they're OP. They're really just great at killing baddies. The problem is when all the baddies on your team get slaughtered and the rest of your team is fighting 4v1 odds.

Offline Fartface

• Earl
  • Renown: 476
  • Infamy: 288
  • cRPG Player
  • Centurii
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deathcore,Djentcore,Deathmetal,Brutal,Slam
  • Game nicks: Growling,Grunting,Screaming,Squeeling
  • IRC nick: Fuck I love it.
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2012, 09:51:27 pm »
stop hating on my fucking 39/3 build and leave my mighty mallet alone.

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2012, 09:58:35 pm »
I don't think they're OP. They're really just great at killing baddies. The problem is when all the baddies on your team get slaughtered and the rest of your team is fighting 4v1 odds.

Honestly it would be nice if you needed higher amounts of WPF to support higher levels of Powerstrike, much like Powerthrow and Powerdraw, just maybe not so drastic.  So you can't be some 10 PS 10 IF 0 WM  scrub as a template anymore.  I don't even care about high damage, the HP and Armor stacking together often more then makes up for low mobility when its dumb blob vs blob fights with max range weapons in each class.
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2012, 11:18:19 pm »
Maul/mallet are fine on battle, but totally over the top on siege defense. I made a mauler STF, and I would just stand on top of a ladder, off to the side slightly, and mash overheads while doing something else (paying bills, talking on phone, etc). I'd look at the screen occasionally and usually be #1 in kills. My main with +13 in looms only achieves this feat once in a blue moon.

When a class can top the scoreboard without even looking at the screen, something is wrong. I don't know how anyone could disagree with this.

Now, the 'solution' is up for debate. I say stamina bar with usage based on weapon weight. Heck, only having crushthrough weapons consume stamina would be fine with me.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 11:21:21 pm by Phew »

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2012, 01:31:12 am »
Maul/mallet are fine on battle, but totally over the top on siege defense. I made a mauler STF, and I would just stand on top of a ladder, off to the side slightly, and mash overheads while doing something else (paying bills, talking on phone, etc). I'd look at the screen occasionally and usually be #1 in kills. My main with +13 in looms only achieves this feat once in a blue moon.

That's more of a problem with maps than anything.

If you have two maulers at the top of a ladder good luck getting up there. Your incredible slow movement up the ladder combined with no place to go when you get off and not being able to hit the maulers since they're hiding behind the top of the ramparts.

Maps that have a breakable door don't have that problem as you at least have somewhere to go once you pass by the maulers. Sure you'll get hit on the way through, but it's easy for a large amount of attackers to push through and overwhelm any maulers on the other side.

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2012, 01:50:42 am »
+2
over head crushthroughs are much less regular if you use a heavier weapon that is the price you pay for using fast light weapons and clearly getting too close.
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline OssumPawesome

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2012, 07:01:48 pm »
crushthrough is a dumb rule.  knockdown is plenty good enough on its own.  if we MUST keep crushthrough - not on a knockdown weapon.  I would prefer mauls have knockdown, no crushthrough, and maybe some more damage to compensate