Author Topic: 1H + Shield build  (Read 9695 times)

Offline RagnarLodbroke

• Knight
  • Renown: 41
  • Infamy: 42
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RagnarLodbroke, Mr_Heineken,SeriousPanda
  • IRC nick: RagnarLodbroke
1H + Shield build
« on: April 11, 2011, 12:24:22 am »
Hey Mateys.

i need a advice about how to build a good shielder. i want to be fast, but i still want to do some dmg....

is 15/21 a good build or should i go for 18/21?

Pls Discuss :)

Ragnar

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: 1H + Shield build
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 01:45:54 am »
IMO 18/18 is good. 15 agi / 21 str should work too. But if you want to be fast, 18/18 with a knightly heather or something like that is better.

As a shielder, you need so many skill points you should not convert more than 2 of them.

Offline Murrogh

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 01:51:31 am »
21-15 and 18-18 are both good.

You could try 15-21 with a pick.

Offline VVarlord

• Count
  • Renown: 176
  • Infamy: 86
  • cRPG Player
  • Simmer down and pucker up
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Waylander
  • Game nicks: Waylander_VVar
  • IRC nick: Boldkorn
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 02:14:18 am »
I use 15 - 21 with my military pick.

PS 5
ATH 7
SHD 7
WM 7

Depending on what i feel like each heirloom i use rest in riding ironflesh or throwing.

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 02:29:45 am »
12/24 w/ cloth armour is another option if you like running around and generally fighting multiple opponents.

However, it's chief use is for teamplay. If you enjoy supporting folks, it's an excellent build with one of the lesser warhammers, picks, or axe.

Offline haxKingdom

• Knight
  • Renown: 27
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 02:45:28 am »
stranth is most effective on low damage weapons. so for 1h, build up the stranth! 24/12

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 11:07:11 am »
I use 15 - 21 with my military pick.

PS 5
ATH 7
SHD 7
WM 7

Depending on what i feel like each heirloom i use rest in riding ironflesh or throwing.

Agi can work, but only with super-hard-hitting weapons, like the pick. If you plan to use a sword, 18 str is where you become succesful.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 11:27:36 am »
I'm actually going for 21/18 with 7ps & steel pick and nice speed (6ath) at the cost of shield skill (being at 4) and no IF. Fast and hard hitting.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 11:31:29 am by Vibe »

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 06:14:34 pm »
18/18 is good for your first build but right now I'm 24/15 and quite happy with it.  With my special warhammer, I deal an average of 30 (I think) damage against 60 armour, giving me lots of opportunity for 1-2 hit kills on most opponents.  That said, I'm quite practiced with my weird little weapon.  If it's your first time 18/18 with the sarranid cavalry sword would probably work quite well for you, especially if you don't want to use the huscarl.  Bear in mind that having high speed stats isn't very noticeable for 1h+shield.  With a huscarl you get dragged down hugely, and moving slowly often means you need more armour so you end up even slower.  That said, if you can find a quick build with the sarranid cavalry sword you'll be quite versatile.  You'll likely have to find help for fighting good tin cans but everything else should be good pickings.

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 06:43:53 pm »
I really recommend making a slightly strength heavy build for sword and shield. The extra powerstrike will pay off a lot more than the extra WM/Athletics/Shield. You're probably safe with 4 WM and shield. Each point in those two skills beyond that is significantly less effective.

Athletics is nice, but having that extra life from strength and iron flesh is equally important. To top it off, against a well armored opponent (read: Goretooth,) you're really going to need that extra damage to pierce the armor.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline RagnarLodbroke

• Knight
  • Renown: 41
  • Infamy: 42
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RagnarLodbroke, Mr_Heineken,SeriousPanda
  • IRC nick: RagnarLodbroke
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 04:03:51 am »
Thanks alot for ur answers guys. i think ill end up with 15/21 or 18/18.

5/6 IF
5/6 PS
6/7 SHD
6/7 Atletics
6/7 WM

Right now im going with the Nordic Short War Sword, its really fast, but weak....
I also use the Huscarl or the Elite cavalry shield, depends what map im playing...

Offline Daergar

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Daergar_the_Tank
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 09:18:19 pm »
I've tested 21/15, 24/15, 18/18 and am currently going for 24/12 (8IF) with my trusted sarranid cav sword.

In my opinion, high PS is king when it comes to 1hers. With 7-8 PS you can one-shot most people once you learn how to slash at the head with some speedbonus. Footwork, position and precision is what I strive for when I have to deviate from my favored role as frontline breaker for the 2hers and pikers.

All depends on what role you like to play on the field, I've simply found that 6 PS, or even less, just doesn't do it for me. There's an annoying, real or imagined, breakingpoint at 7 for the average build to get taken down in one solid swing.  :)

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 07:38:36 pm »
Thanks alot for ur answers guys. i think ill end up with 15/21 or 18/18.

5/6 IF
5/6 PS
6/7 SHD
6/7 Atletics
6/7 WM

Right now im going with the Nordic Short War Sword, its really fast, but weak....
I also use the Huscarl or the Elite cavalry shield, depends what map im playing...

I would strongly recommend a reduction in SHD skill. I have 4 on my shielder and blocking bolts is never an issue. The damage reduction to shield doesn't appear to be enough to justify the stat investment.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • Renown: 281
  • Infamy: 107
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Konrax of Chaos
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 03:33:24 pm »
The shield skill decreases how long it takes to raise/lower your shield.

That being said I notice a big difference with my Elite Cavalry Shield between 5 and 6 shield skill as far as speed is concerned.

At shield 6 the Elite Cavalry shield becomes nearly instant block when you need it.

Offline Daergar

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Daergar_the_Tank
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 11:02:03 pm »
The shield skill decreases how long it takes to raise/lower your shield.

That being said I notice a big difference with my Elite Cavalry Shield between 5 and 6 shield skill as far as speed is concerned.

At shield 6 the Elite Cavalry shield becomes nearly instant block when you need it.

Hum, never noticed an increase in speed. Or rather, it seems fast enough at 4 (tested up to 6) to block anything when, well, I want to block. And that's counting jumping in with a raised sword at a 2her and blocking his stab mid-air. Might just be in my mind though, I'm sure you're correct.