Author Topic: Kinda sad without weeaboos  (Read 7214 times)

Offline matt2507

• King
  • Renown: 1013
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • It is when making anything that we become anyone.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Raylin The_Village_Idiot Mohamed_Ali
Re: Kinda sad without weeaboos
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2012, 04:16:14 pm »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

No donkeys were harmed in the making of this gif.

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2012, 04:48:20 pm »
Ninjas using a masterworked katana have an extremely fast, hard hitting weapon, and due to the fact that most ninjas are agi builds, they swing faster than fucking light.

And according to BRD scientists, katanas increase speed. thanks Linden.

Ninjas aside, I haven't seen a damned samurai on NA in quite a while.

I can pickup a Katana with 0 2h wpf and still swing it at a fast enough speed to duel decently with...

I dunno where you're looking though, there always seems to be at least half dozen random ninja/samurai on most nights on NA, either on siege or battle.

Offline Ptolemy

• Weeaboo
  • Count
  • Renown: 257
  • Infamy: 182
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja
  • Game nicks: Nomin
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2012, 08:03:49 pm »
+2
I'm currently doing alright with 15/24 katana/bamboo ninja. But It's definitely harder to flank these days, since there's so much cavalry and it seems that every two-hander brings along a crossbow just because they can.

I think the main issue (besides the equipment restrictions), is that 90% of people have a longer weapon. Greatswords, polearms, crossbows, bows, lances, all of these will out-range a katana stab (which is pathetically weak anyway -  17p at masterwork, when a masterwork wooden sword does 16b).
(click to show/hide)
Not that there's much that can be done about this issue - it's more that people are realising that being a ninja is hard, really hard sometimes, because you could easily not be a ninja and use a better (and in some cases cheaper) weapon and perform better.

tl;dr - Most people can't perform well as a ninja.

Also: I'm King of the Weeaboos. My custom title says so. (Okay, Baron, but I don't see any other noble weeaboos.)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 08:08:04 pm by Ptolemy »

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2012, 08:41:28 pm »
I can't help it, but I am happy to see them gone.

They were always shining out, as all other outfits were from Europe or bordering nations (Arabs, Turks,...), and you knew at one time those nations were indeed fighting each other. Hell, Vikings even invaded Bagdad some time in the Dark Ages, and while it is still somewhat weird to see a Karolingian mailed knight next to a plated Gothic knight, it didn't feel that wrong like seeing Samurais next to knights... or seeing black dressed Ninjas at all, especially since in reality Ninjas never wore those black robes, or else you could have identified them as Ninjas.

Of course it has to do with me being fed up with all that Japanophile stuff in the media, from Anime/Manga/Hentai and games in this style (every second browsergame looks that way  :shock: ) over their weird pop culture with those ugly Panda girls (Ganguros or something like that), weird movies with people flying through the air and their weird style for fantasy (racoon men, speaking owls...) and SciFi (it's never pure SciFI, there are always some ghosts or angles or something like that), with those superhuman beings which are super fast, super strong, unkillable and wield bigger weapons than themselves to finally this unbearably arrogant attitude that everything from Japan is superior to everything from Europe. Samurais would kill knights, Katana wins against Longsword, and so on. And of course we are racists for not liking Samurais and Ninjas. How about weaboos being racist for not liking knights?

I appreciate their will to roleplay in a game which is so much about efficiency and success, I give them that. But I am not even missing their role as skirmishers, because I think a small squad of mixed infantry (shields, spears, throwing weapons and cutting archers into thin stripes weapons) is much better suited for that task than a few Ninjas with no shields or polearms.

I can feel with you guys that you like to roleplay your favourite warriors in a game, but in my eyes the game should fit. I'd also like to roleplay a German soldier from WW1 or WW2, but do I try to implement their helmet into cRPG and call people racists for not allowing me to play a chocolate chip cookie? No. Things have to fit. There are certain things which simply HURT certain's people eyes. For me it's Samurais fighting knights or knights wearing penis banners.

And I know this post will be minused down, because... well... I have the impudance to not only not like something, I also tell it! But if you do, please don't call ME intolerant.  :?
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline dreadnok

• Marshall
  • Renown: 838
  • Infamy: 562
  • cRPG Player
  • fuck these jerkoff kids
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KBW<MB<SoW
  • Game nicks: Gorp_The_Gorger
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2012, 08:46:09 pm »
Longsword is better than the katana in almost every way lol. You don't see people in duel (now that there is a point system) with a katana. You see them all with longswords or similar swords. But that is old news.

Anyways what is this level nerf? You can't have more than 27 ath or something?

again, a dildo talking about duels.

Offline BASNAK

• King
  • Renown: 1349
  • Infamy: 170
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MolonLave_Garlic
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2012, 08:58:49 pm »
I used to be an unbelieber and hate weeabos. But I recently saw the light and converted - Now I wear a Winged great helmet and lordly heavy strange armor.

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2012, 09:01:56 pm »
+2
Of course it has to do with me being fed up with all that Japanophile stuff in the media, from Anime/Manga/Hentai and games in this style (every second browsergame looks that way  :shock: ) over their weird pop culture with those ugly Panda girls (Ganguros or something like that), weird movies with people flying through the air and their weird style for fantasy (racoon men, speaking owls...) and SciFi (it's never pure SciFI, there are always some ghosts or angles or something like that), with those superhuman beings which are super fast, super strong, unkillable and wield bigger weapons than themselves to finally this unbearably arrogant attitude that everything from Japan is superior to everything from Europe. Samurais would kill knights, Katana wins against Longsword, and so on. And of course we are racists for not liking Samurais and Ninjas. How about weaboos being racist for not liking knights?

You know, some of that isn't even Japanese. A lot actually comes from the other countries that are around Japan. Talking about not being intolerant and then just going on and generalizing.
I appreciate their will to roleplay in a game which is so much about efficiency and success, I give them that. But I am not even missing their role as skirmishers, because I think a small squad of mixed infantry (shields, spears, throwing weapons and cutting archers into thin stripes weapons) is much better suited for that task than a few Ninjas with no shields or polearms.

Opinion. Who are you to tell me(or others) what is best. Watching a clanny earlier play a ninja and he was constantly top of scoreboard in points. Anything can be effective, just you prefer to think that only European style  shit is more effective.
I can feel with you guys that you like to roleplay your favourite warriors in a game, but in my eyes the game should fit. I'd also like to roleplay a German soldier from WW1 or WW2, but do I try to implement their helmet into cRPG and call people racists for not allowing me to play a chocolate chip cookie? No. Things have to fit. There are certain things which simply HURT certain's people eyes. For me it's Samurais fighting knights or knights wearing penis banners.

Choose a better analogy. At least the Samurai EXISTED at or Coincided WITH European knights. Straw man argument trying use not even time period appropriate response.  And we get to the Crux. You can't stand seeing something that ruins your over glorified Medieval combat simulator with someone else's views on how they wish to play. If you can't stand seeing Samurai gear, then get the weeaboo removal mod that replaces all their textures with European ones. Don't dictate how others wish to play a game because you can't stand their style choice.

For the record: I hate seeing mix mashed armors, but a lot of people do it so that they can get best gear for what they want(min-maxers).

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2012, 09:08:23 pm »
Never understood the hate on weebos. They claim the game is based on europe thus japanese armors and weapons don't make sense. However the game has armors and weapons from a very long length of history. Its not like we came into this mod knowing it was going to stick to 13th century armor and weapons and then suddenly it changed.

Its always been about making your own character and that was it. I like seeing some variety in armor anyway. Doesn't EU have like 50% kuyak armor or something? That should hurt your eyes.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2012, 09:15:40 pm »
+1
You know, some of that isn't even Japanese. A lot actually comes from the other countries that are around Japan. Talking about not being intolerant and then just going on and generalizing.

This doesn't change anything. I also don't like most Korean and Chinese movies/games/comics/whatever. It's the entire corner of the world I don't get along with.

Opinion. Who are you to tell me(or others) what is best. Watching a clanny earlier play a ninja and he was constantly top of scoreboard in points. Anything can be effective, just you prefer to think that only European style  shit is more effective.

It's not because it's European. It's because if archers spot you on your way flanking them, shields help. And if cavalry, which is often roaming at the flanks, is attacking you, a 300 length pike offers better protection than a 95 length katana. Or would you say shields vs. arrows or pikes vs. horses are opinions?

Btw., not everything which can be effective automatically is the most effective. Yes, perhaps he could do well as Ninja, but perhaps he could have done even better if he had a shield, for example.

Choose a better analogy. At least the Samurai EXISTED at or Coincided WITH European knights. Straw man argument trying use not even time period appropriate response.

There is no Straw Man argument, because there is no argument at all. I am just telling my personal taste and preference, that's all. Someone else would probably tell me, that Carolingian mailed knights and plated Gothic knights hurts his eyes, too, and I couldn't say anything against it. Arguments make only sense if you try to find some kind of objective solution, a "right" or "wrong", but something like that doesn't exist here, obviously.

And we get to the Crux. You can't stand seeing something that ruins your over glorified Medieval combat simulator with someone else's views on how they wish to play. If you can't stand seeing Samurai gear, then get the weeaboo removal mod that replaces all their textures with European ones. Don't dictate how others wish to play a game because you can't stand their style choice.

I don't dictate anything. I was asked for my opinion, I gave it, and again I got confronted with this arrogant "Don't be racist to us, everyone is free to do what he wants" attitude, like I was some kind of facist who tells people to use certain equipment. Well, how about removing all the Japanese stuff from the game and making a weeaboo addon mod? Because, you know, don't dictate others who wish to play a game (in my case a European medieval one) because you can't stand their choice (to not like weeaboos).

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2012, 09:19:30 pm »
I don't dictate anything. I was asked for my opinion, I gave it, and again I got confronted with this arrogant "Don't be racist to us, everyone is free to do what he wants" attitude, like I was some kind of facist who tells people to use certain equipment. Well, how about removing all the Japanese stuff from the game and making a weeaboo addon mod? Because, you know, don't dictate others who wish to play a game (in my case a European medieval one) because you can't stand their choice (to not like weeaboos).

http://forum.meleegaming.com/suggestions-corner/%28continuation%29-samurai-armor-remplacement-pack/

There's more than a few. People make them because no one else wishes to have them in game. Lots of Asian models have shown up on these forums for people who DO like that gear set up. But I'm not good with models and meshes, and don't know how to take them  and make them replace European ones.

Two sides of the same coin I guess.

Perhaps my argument above should be limited to a general rather than specific(IE you) person.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2012, 09:24:33 pm »
Never understood the hate on weebos. They claim the game is based on europe thus japanese armors and weapons don't make sense. However the game has armors and weapons from a very long length of history. Its not like we came into this mod knowing it was going to stick to 13th century armor and weapons and then suddenly it changed.

Its always been about making your own character and that was it. I like seeing some variety in armor anyway. Doesn't EU have like 50% kuyak armor or something? That should hurt your eyes.

Actually you are right about that. And if the developers allowed gladiators, Romans, American Indians, Indian Indians, African Warriors, Scots, 30 Years War soldiers, line infantry, pirates and Egyptians, I could get along much better with all that Weeaboo stuff. But only allowing "Eurasian" stuff and as only exception weasboo stuff seems kind of awkward to me.

And you are certainly right about the different time periods. But I guess in my perceptions different time periods still doesn't look that weird like different geocraphical backgrounds. For example having one knight in mail, the other in plate, covered with a blue tabard with yellow lilly makes you think: "Aha. Two French knights." They are from different time periods, maybe, but somehow they still seem linked. But seing a knight and a samurai, even from the same time period, doesn't compare. They are two completely different things. It always looks like a scene from "Deadliest Warrior"... I hope you get what I mean, as it's only a matter of assiciation, and not of hard facts.

Offline Auphilia

• Earl
  • Renown: 480
  • Infamy: 190
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2012, 09:26:06 pm »
Hard to take someone seriously who would try to compare Samurai/Ninja to WW2 chocolate chip cookies.  :rolleyes:

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2012, 09:29:19 pm »
+6
Joker I think you are very lame. At least Ninjas has always been part of cRPG, and will always exist in some form or another..

This was an early test-ninja with daggers and katana..

Besides, Ninja was always about having a distinct style, and also to create a challenge for yourself. None of us in Ninja are japanophiles. There's not a single pop cultural japanese image in our 2 year old forums.. You are just reading into your own prejudices as of who plays Ninja. 

« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 09:32:25 pm by Thomek »

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Swaggart

• Earl
  • Renown: 481
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2012, 09:30:40 pm »
+4
Japanese officers during WW2 had mass produced Katanas. Japan was allied with chocolate chip cookie Germany during WW2. Hence, chocolate chip cookie Samurai.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2012, 09:35:51 pm »
+1
-snip-

I have a knight, barbarian, zulu, viking, piker, arab, caveman and a samurai(and random assortments of below level 20 characters). One might say I'm one of the most tolerant players around.

I know of one in the clan who watches anime. I have watched Cowboy Bebop(which was a serious sci-fi show) and Ghost in the Shell(which also is a serious sci-fi show). The rest of the genre I have troubles with for the same reasons as you. I only watch them because I ran out of actual sci-fi to watch, being a sci-fi geek. I have never discussed anime with anyone in the clan other than the one person where he told me that he watches anime, and that was the end of that discussion.
My interest in Japan is as big as my interest in India, China, America and Europe. I'm an all out history amateur.

Mostly when we flank, the only thing we lack is cav and shields. We usually have bamboo spears, crossbows and throwing weapons(when we're out in force). When we're two guys, we generally have our standard gear, which for me is a sword.

Ninjas aren't my favourite warriors.

It is pure coincidence that I'm in the clan. And the only thing in your description that fits me is the roleplaying(actually being serious about a style) and the rebellion towards stat optimization and playing the numbers game. I intentionally keep me in the dark regarding the finer points of game mechanics that I can not observe with my own eyes. Only reason I joined a the ninjas was because it was the only clan that seemed likeminded to this style of playing. It's the same reason I have turned off the UI apart from chat.

Thomek: I think Ninja_Totoro had an avatar in the forums of Totoro, but that was irony. :P