Author Topic: EU1 These Days.  (Read 15837 times)

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: EU1 These Days.
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 06:09:46 pm »
+4
Well it should be. The melee mechanics in mount & blade far surpass the ranged in terms of depth. We just have crosshairs and projectiles. Add some depth with free aim, movement of bow (not rock steady), slower projectiles etc. Bring it up to par with the depth of melee mechanics and then it might be alright. As it is this is very much a melee centric game just from the game mechanics available. I don't expect big overhauls for ranged though, thats more for sequel but they can be compensated for that with some tweaks. For now though people are largely here because M&B has such good melee mechanics. Its such a waste to spoil it with snipers, you might even drive people away when other melee type games comes out
If you have ranged troubles use this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline baybars

• Knight
  • Renown: 31
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
  • The best vicotry is the one that leads to peace
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ghuraba Caliphate
  • Game nicks: Ghuraba Royal Baibars, Ghuraba_ZhengHE_Al_Bengee
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2012, 07:00:16 pm »
+3
even though i agree there are too many archers which reminds me of sniper spam in bf3 you cant really do anything about it, if we were to limit the class then the archers would complain and you would need to limit other classes which i dont think is a good idea

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2012, 07:04:26 pm »
Well it should be. The melee mechanics in mount & blade far surpass the ranged in terms of depth. We just have crosshairs and projectiles. Add some depth with free aim, movement of bow (not rock steady), slower projectiles etc. Bring it up to par with the depth of melee mechanics and then it might be alright. As it is this is very much a melee centric game just from the game mechanics available. I don't expect big overhauls for ranged though, thats more for sequel but they can be compensated for that with some tweaks. For now though people are largely here because M&B has such good melee mechanics. Its such a waste to spoil it with snipers, you might even drive people away when other melee type games comes out
Eh, melee ain't really that deep, ain't much deeper than ranged, ain't much deeper than cav...
Only difference is that most people play tons of shooter games and therefore once they learn to read the arch of flight and predict movement (not really that easier, in fact, maybe harder, than learning average melee shit) they'll pretty much be able to play efficiently.
Only issue with ranged is kiting and maybe it's also in need of a slight buff for all ranged weaponry, and kiting ain't op, it's just annoying and gay.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2012, 07:27:54 pm »
That is a valid question.

Someone said few days back something about it being strat related but I kinda don't get that. Otherwise I don't get it either why there are so many now. Cav and archers used to be somehow self-regulating themselves.
I dont mind cav or archers - just the sheer number is... annoying.

Archery
is very cheap in relation to how deadly it is.
Just increase the upkeep on bows. 300% should be enough.
The good and dedicated archers will still play but the amount of other archers will decrease.
It's a far better solution than nerfing archers.

Cavalry is already expensive though. Unless you go with low tier equipment which is still quite good.
Maybe increase upkeep of lower tier horses. Cavalry also needs to become harder to play. Both lance cav and 1H cav.

Something needs to be done with crossbows on horseback.
It's way too cheap for being the best anti cavalry class in the game (as they usually have 10 riding).

Horse archery should be made more accurate.
It takes skill to aim while moving. No need to nerf accuracy on horseback. That is just lame and very boring for those who enjoy horse archery.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 07:35:45 pm by Riddaren »

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2012, 07:35:03 pm »
For me melee is easy mode on EU1. Always top section of scoreboard, low ranged pressure even with many archers around, biggest impact on round outcome. Actually playing an archer and doing well is challenging - doing it as melee, either cav or on foot is not.
If that's the entire purpose of you playing, a challenge, why not nerf your melee playing? Go pure wakizashi.

This does not reflect the average opinion about melee play, and I highly doubt even 5% of the archers go archer because of this.

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2012, 07:44:26 pm »
+3

Archery
The good and dedicated archers will still play but the amount of other archers will decrease.

Cavalry is already expensive though. Unless you go with low tier equipment which is still quite good.
Maybe increase upkeep of lower tier horses. Cavalry also needs to become harder to play. Both lance cav and 1H cav.

Something needs to be done with crossbows on horseback.
It's way too cheap for being the best anti cavalry class in the game (as they usually have 10 riding).

Horse archery should be made more accurate.
It takes skill to aim while moving. No need to nerf accuracy on horseback. That is just lame and very boring for those who enjoy horse archery.
Balancing via upkeep is sad and stupid, so, I gotta leech for X minutes to play Y minutes of fun playtime, seems pretty fucking stupid to me, would just make this another random Jap MMO if they made you leech around in order to have fun even more than now.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2012, 07:47:07 pm »
Balancing via upkeep is sad and stupid, so, I gotta leech for X minutes to play Y minutes of fun playtime, seems pretty fucking stupid to me, would just make this another random Jap MMO if they made you leech around in order to have fun even more than now.

Cavalry already pays 2-5 times more than the best equipped archers.
Your point is invalid.

Offline SirCymro_Crusader

• King
  • Renown: 1095
  • Infamy: 134
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2012, 07:51:08 pm »
+8

+

=

Offline killnaboy

• Noble
  • Renown: 21
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2012, 07:55:01 pm »
+9
I started playing crpg as an archer until I picked up a 2 handed sword on the battlefield and saw how easy it was. Now I play mostly with my 2 hander character, when I feel like playing easy mode!

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2012, 07:55:27 pm »
Cavalry already pays 2-5 times more than the best equipped archers.
Your point is invalid.
I believe that is wrong and believe it needs change, I do however not believe adding retardedly large amounts of upkeep to archers is a good way to fix cav paying retardedly high amounts of upkeep.
Also, archers got increased break chance on their arrows, ain't sure how much, so, typical kiting my old friend hornbowie= 1hornbow, 3 bodkin stacks, around 20k gear cost without counting the extra arrow upkeep which I'm pretty sure is there, now, typical rusbow my old friend gets a rus bow and 2 stacks of bodkins and a 0 slot hammer, it's still quite expensive.

IMO upkeep needs 100% removal and gear needs to be balanced so everything is unique and somehow better than something else instead of the typical "You get bigger rewards for playing something extremely boring/crippled Jap shit".

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2012, 08:01:48 pm »
+2
If that's the entire purpose of you playing, a challenge, why not nerf your melee playing? Go pure wakizashi.

This does not reflect the average opinion about melee play, and I highly doubt even 5% of the archers go archer because of this.

Melee is the most basic fighting mechanic in crpg. Why play a pure meleer when you can be an archer or a horseman as well?

Archery

Increasing the cost of ranged will make archers switch to crapier armors and kite more. Im losing money with my scale armor as it is, dont make me join the runners.

Offline BASNAK

• King
  • Renown: 1349
  • Infamy: 170
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MolonLave_Garlic
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2012, 08:05:26 pm »
+5
Well I think we all can agree on that, it does get quite problematic when the Riders of Rohan or all the archers end up in one team. And archery and cav isn't as easy as many people think - But they're too gay when all of them end up on one team which makes it difficult to counter.

And suggesting "amg u sux respec to kounter dem u my old friendit" is just wrong. The game should have atleast a small balance in classes, instead of people having to respecc to classes they never played before just because of imbalance.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 08:08:41 pm by BASNAK »

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2012, 08:06:39 pm »
+3
Longbow + 2 stacks of bodkins + sickle + light armor = Me barely making money, and that's because I get decent multis. No need to change the cost, I'd what? have to not be an archer to upkeep my archery?
Just pointing out that isn't a solution. Arrow upkeep is ridiculous to keep archers in line on the upkeep regard already.

Oh, and yeah there are way too many archers in NA too, not just EU. It's amazing, really!

Archers, and cav? my god, Hopltie throwers counter both Super hard! Whatever clan goes 21/15 hoplite thrower is going to come out on top, with an army where everyone has shield, and ranged (dem throwins), and counter to cav.
oh wait why would anyone do something logical.
YOU ARE THE SOLUTION TO THE METAGAME
THIS ISSUE ISN'T BALANCE

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 08:18:40 pm by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2012, 08:08:05 pm »
+1
I thought everyone went archer to prepare for strat 4? cuz archers do very well at strat opening phase when everyone has peasant gear and weak shields?

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2012, 08:09:16 pm »
+2
Okay, enough fun for one day.
Check the EU threads tomorrow for the "Daily EU drama thread."
It's their turn.

This thread may be shit, but at least we found out one thing. Noodles is psychic.
Pock gobblers