Author Topic: Long maul build  (Read 2837 times)

Offline GuiKa

• Baron
  • Renown: 141
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolves
  • Game nicks: Wolves_GuiKa
Long maul build
« on: August 19, 2012, 10:55:20 pm »
+1
I'm going to buy a Mighty long maul and i 'm wondering what is best beetween these two build to go with it :

lvl 30 : (70 hp)
str: 21
agi: 18
if: 7
ps: 7
ath: 6
wm: 3

polearm: 130

and

lvl 30 : (75 hp)
str: 24
agi: 15
if: 8
ps: 8
ath: 5
wm: 2

polearm: 123

I already played with a 24/15 build using long maul and it was dam fun. I believe with a rank 0 long maul you need 8 ps to crush through everything but now that i'll get a rank 3 maybe 7 ps is enough. This way i could be more effective as i would have a better footwork.
  I know te long maul is the weapon which slow you the most (it's based on the weight multiplied by the lengh) so maybe beetween 5 and 6 ath there's almost no difference at all or at least not enough differences to change anything on the field.

I cant decide  :? any help ?

edit:

Going for this :

21/18
IF: 4
PS: 7
ATH: 6
WM: 6

Polearm : 154
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 04:35:11 am by GuiKa »

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
Re: Long maul build
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 02:17:17 pm »
+1
After doing 5 straight gens of long mauler, I would suggest this:

str: 21
agi: 18
if: 4
ps: 7
ath: 6
wm: 6

If someone gets too close to you while using the long maul, you will never, ever be able to swing at them. Even someone with a slow weapon can outspam you if you let them get too close. The higher athletics will also let you run in for a surprise overhead. I always keep my right swing held, wait for someone to get to close, then run in and immediately overhead. If they got knocked down, I immediately do a right swing which usually kills them. You'll get most of your kills with a right swing with the long maul.

The long maul is also one of the few weapons that benefit a lot from high WM. Really slow weapons benefit the most from more WPF.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline GuiKa

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 03:32:31 pm »
I was thinking the oposite about how wpf affect slow weapon, isn't wpf relative to the base weapon speed ?

case 1 (relative to weapon speed) :
With a long maul (70 speed) => with 100 wpf you win 15% atack speed so : 70 => 80.5. You win 10.5 weapon speedwhiwh is not a big deal compare to what you win with a fast weapon but maybe these 10 speed affect a lot the swing speed ? not sure about how it works.

case 2 (directly affect the swing speed) :
Let's say you take 2 sec swing without wpf, now we had 100 wpf (about 7% swing speed)  2*0.07 = 0.14 so your swing is now 1.86 sec which is a great bonus (compare to with a fast weapon).

If it's case 1 i dont think getting wpf will help at all, i was playing with 130 wpf and medium/heavy armor (58 body/52head) and i had no problem for duel. You just often have to block 2-3 swing before you can do yours, but one hit is all it takes to kill someone.
Of course a good player with a fast weapon (over 93 speed) can outspam you but when it's the case i just spam kick while blocking, if i hit him with my feet he's dead.

if it's case 2, well i should definitely try to get a high wpf maybe it makes you fast enough to take your turn after each block.

Thanks for the awser by the way.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 04:39:44 pm »
Actually, according to Walt that isn't the case: http://forum.meleegaming.com/index.php/topic,2531.0.html

WaltF4 ran tests on all of this, and increased WPF helps slow weapons much, much more than fast weapons. With 160 WPF and a Great Long Bardiche I used to stunlock people constantly with this build. Was good fun. RIP Polestagger.

Offline GuiKa

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 05:43:05 pm »
Wow nice thing to know thank you

Offline Dach

• Earl
  • Renown: 444
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dach_BRD / SNSD_Taeyeon
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 01:30:20 am »
why not 18/21

3 IF
6 PS
7 ATH
7 WM

162wpf

:D

Crushthrough is mostly related to weapon weight versus shield weight. So against a steel shield (12.5 weight) don't expect it to always work even with +3 long maul (8.2 weight) or even the huscarl (9 weight)

:wink:
A lot of people in the NA community know that Dach rages and in the process of his uncontrollable rage, he tends to kick people.

You've been warned! :twisted:

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 02:34:07 am »
why not 18/21

3 IF
6 PS
7 ATH
7 WM

162wpf

:D

Crushthrough is mostly related to weapon weight versus shield weight. So against a steel shield (12.5 weight) don't expect it to always work even with +3 long maul (8.2 weight) or even the huscarl (9 weight)

:wink:

This is the build I've been using on alternate character after obtaining a Mighty Long Maul. The extra weapon master (as compared to using it on my main who only has 50 polearm prof atm) is definitely noticeably faster, although still incredibly easy to get spammed with. The extra athletics (in light armor) helps a ton though. Loving it so far. I wish I had a level 33 character to go 18/24 with this build.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline oohillac

• Marshall
  • Renown: 724
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player
  • boys don't cry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 04:26:35 pm »
I'm doing the 18/21 right now, it does not crush through as much as I'd like.  Maybe 2/3 hits on a Huscarl shield crushthrough, and that one blocked could mean your death.

Offline GuiKa

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 05:33:43 pm »

I'm curently at 18 str (with rank 0 long maul for now, still looking for a seller) and i dont crush as much as i'd like, a fail crush often means death. With my last gen with long maul i had 24/15 (8ps) and i could crush through EVERYTHING everytime unless my swing was stop close to me. So i guess damage or strengh matters ...
  I had a lot of fun with a 24/15 build, i could two shot everything and one hit was a 50% knockdown. I really loved how people under my swing could'nt do anything but die in 2 sec, and off course event a steel shield was no help at all.

I'm gonna try a 21/18 to see if the aditional footwork and swing speed can beat the 24/15 build.

My armor weight will be :

Head: 2.3      (Nordic Conical Helmet)
Body : 12.8    (Lordly Light Kuyak)
Hand : 0.8     (Scale Gauntlets)
Leg: 1.5         (Mail Chausses)

With an effective wpf of 130 (The last patch lowered the weight of every armors)

Hopping that with 7 PS and a mighty long maul i will still be that heavy crush machine which two shot everything.

I also always carry a long dagger to chasse archers (holding the long maul slow you too much for that).

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 05:52:33 pm »
As long as you're moving forward while overheading, you should be able to crush through everything.

Offline Tore

• Item Manager
  • Renown: 882
  • Infamy: 329
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 11:21:55 pm »
18/21

Offline Dach

• Earl
  • Renown: 444
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dach_BRD / SNSD_Taeyeon
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 03:16:11 am »
@Guika: sure raw damage do have an effect on the crushthrough % but weight vs weight is a big part of it.
A lot of people in the NA community know that Dach rages and in the process of his uncontrollable rage, he tends to kick people.

You've been warned! :twisted:

Offline GuiKa

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 04:30:22 am »
@Guika: sure raw damage do have an effect on the crushthrough % but weight vs weight is a big part of it.

And when you crushthrough if you dont make enough damage to actualy stun your target you'll cant make another overhead and spam him to death. This is why strenght is really important, i prefer slow swing but 100% crush and stun than a faster swing which can be counter by anything over 4 Kg.

If 7PS is enough to do that it would be really interesting.

I remember a long time ago i have seen the crushthrough formula, i think the crush or no crush was only weight related (or maybe also raw damage) and IF it crushthrough the overhead does only a % of the actual damage. This % is also based on the weight of the attacker/defender weapons, so maybe with 18 str it crush through heavy shield/weapon but the damage after the reduction is too low to do anything and then glance. With 24 str it does higher damage so it doesn't glance and even stun the target.

Offline Lennu

• Marshall
  • Renown: 774
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Lennu
  • IRC nick: Lennu_
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 03:15:10 pm »
+2
Heh, I believe Everkistus made a gen using this build. "You cant run, and you certainly cant block"

Strength: 18
Agility: 24
Hit points: 59

Skills to attributes: 14

Ironflesh: 3
Power Strike: 6
Athletics: 8

Polearm: 114

:lol:
Suddainly there
Crushthrough & knockdown
Then gone again

« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 03:28:05 pm by Lennu »

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 06:50:58 pm »
I'm doing the 18/21 right now, it does not crush through as much as I'd like.  Maybe 2/3 hits on a Huscarl shield crushthrough, and that one blocked could mean your death.

In your armor setup?  :lol:
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™