Author Topic: A Sensible way to Balance Strength  (Read 2631 times)

Offline clown1231

• Knight
  • Renown: 25
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
  • It's all about having fun.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Kingdom of Veluca (TKoV)
  • Game nicks: BardicPaladin
  • IRC nick: clown1231
A Sensible way to Balance Strength
« on: August 19, 2012, 09:06:12 pm »
Before you flame me or -1 the topic, hear me out.

One of the best things (IMO) about cRPG is that you get to chose what you want to play. You're not stuck with the generic builds of Native, and you get to choose your equipment. This means that most people end up with very different characters. Of course, this does lead to trollable things, such as horse archery and invincible shields, but I believe that the benefits outweigh the few problems.

Today, however, one can simply pump strength and be fine. No need for agility in today's builds. I think that if we change one thing about strength, the spectrum of available builds can increase. The intention here isn't to stop people from playing 39 strength characters, it's to increase the validity of builds that incorporate more agility into their lifestyle.

The idea I have is to put a soft cap on the weight penalty reduction that strength provides. In turn, however, increase the bonuses from ironflesh and powerstrike by 1 damage/HP. This, in a way, will balance itself out.

• The no AGI builds will be slower, but will do more damage and be harder to take down
  • The moderate builds with 15 AGI or more
  • The AGI builds won't gain anything from this, except that they will continue to be at their same speed, while the stronger ones in medium-heavy armor will be slightly slower.

Feedback is appreciated, as well as how to improve this suggestion.

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
Re: A Sensible way to Balance Strength
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 09:34:54 pm »
+9
I agree, str builds are too viable atm. There is a very simple solution that does not need much coding and has been suggested a few times:

Remove free wpf per level and in turn buff wpf gain from WM.

If you wanna hit faster you have to get WM. If you wanna be a str crutcher that wants to oneshot people you should be slow.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 09:41:58 pm »
WPF also increases damage, something I play with a longsword on my swashbuckler guy, and I feel like I do less damage witht the 1 WPF I have with my longsword than with the 1h and 135 wpf.

Longsword's not loom either, so that might be it.
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 10:32:59 pm »
+3
The balance between strength and agility is fine as is.

Strength makes it faster to kill bad players and lets you make more mistakes.

Agility makes you more flexible and makes it easier to deal with multiple opponents.

Agility builds can easily have damage outputs similar to strength builds with a combination of held attacks, speed bonus and WPF. I was wrecking people with a 6/33 build earlier today.

Each has their benefits and drawbacks, though I still think balanced builds are king: 18/18, 21/18, 18/21, 21/21.

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 12:21:44 am »
+1
Hopefully, the new wpf curve will balance things out.
As it is now, STR build are "tiny-slightly-littlebit" better than AGI, in hands of very good player. Footwork start getting more important than brutal strength, so balanced builds are the preference choice.

In the hands of bad player, STR build are "OP" compared to AGI.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 214
  • Infamy: 2847
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 12:37:14 am »
+2
The balance between strength and agility is fine as is.
Each has their benefits and drawbacks, though I still think balanced builds are king: 18/18, 21/18, 18/21, 21/21.

And that's why NA is full of full STR builds?

Offline Uumdi

• Duke
  • Renown: 651
  • Infamy: 59
  • Ready to Die
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Uumdi_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: Uumdi
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 12:42:29 am »
+2
Yeah, in regular battle setting, agility has its place, but what I noticed, and not to pick on strat 3.0, but when it came to massive melee situations with heavy armor, str was much more effective.  I was fine with a balanced build, able to duck out of the way of pikes going through the moshpit, but the killing power of strength is effective, because lets be honest, people will always make mistakes. 

Battle server, you're better able to maneuver, support your friends, single targets out, and flank, but in the massive melee engagements, 27/12 is probably the most effective build still, and allows you to function if you plan on sinking with the ship and taking out as many tickets as you possibly can in the process.  36/3 builds are excessive and terrible, and are nothing to be afraid of really, but those 27/12's that are the real dangers right now.  I don't rightly think we should take that away from them though - I played 27/12, and it should still be an outstanding build.  We'll see what the new wpf curve does I imagine.

People can always play smarter though, you know?  Creative flank maneuvers that require a ton more thought and risk might be possible with some organization, but right now strength is not only efficient at dealing damage, but also necessary to make aggressive pushes in large battles.

On the other hand, 18/21, 7 WM builds do outstanding damage, though you lack some ironflesh.

Ten shots of prayers, ten shots a day
A shot of thrill to hide the pain.
They can`t win, they just don`t cry,
The troopers know they live to die.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 406
  • Infamy: 1509
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 12:44:20 am »
Speed bonus works both ways, you deal serious damage but if you miss you take epic damage too. Strength builds take normal damage while dealing serious amounts of damage.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 12:45:49 am »
+2
Tydeus sported that 27/12 build for ages if I remember correctly, with his ever-lasting Miaodao/Litchina Helm/Churburg Cuirass combo. Even in my incompetent hands it is a nasty build.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2828
  • Infamy: 368
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 12:49:19 am »
From realism standpoint, anything bellow 15 strength is a small boy, weak man at best (not fitting for battle) and anything above 24 strength isn't human being. But this is a game and not very realistic game so it's okay to have more choices.

Same goes for ath, 9 ath is wtf Usain Bolt and 10 ath is Benny Hill Show...

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 08:17:23 am »
+1
Before you flame me or -1 the topic, hear me out.

One of the best things (IMO) about cRPG is that you get to chose what you want to play. You're not stuck with the generic builds of Native, and you get to choose your equipment. This means that most people end up with very different characters. Of course, this does lead to trollable things, such as horse archery and invincible shields, but I believe that the benefits outweigh the few problems.

Today, however, one can simply pump strength and be fine. No need for agility in today's builds. I think that if we change one thing about strength, the spectrum of available builds can increase. The intention here isn't to stop people from playing 39 strength characters, it's to increase the validity of builds that incorporate more agility into their lifestyle.

The idea I have is to put a soft cap on the weight penalty reduction that strength provides. In turn, however, increase the bonuses from ironflesh and powerstrike by 1 damage/HP. This, in a way, will balance itself out.

• The no AGI builds will be slower, but will do more damage and be harder to take down
  • The moderate builds with 15 AGI or more
  • The AGI builds won't gain anything from this, except that they will continue to be at their same speed, while the stronger ones in medium-heavy armor will be slightly slower.

Feedback is appreciated, as well as how to improve this suggestion.

There is no weight penalty reduction that strength provides.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 08:40:31 am »
There is no weight penalty reduction that strength provides.
I think he was referring to armor weight penalty on movement speed or something. Afaik, strength reduces the impact of heavy armour.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 08:42:23 am »
I think he was referring to armor weight penalty on movement speed or something. Afaik, strength reduces the impact of heavy armour.

It doesn't http://forum.meleegaming.com/general-discussion/just-another-test-this-time-strength-and-movement-speed/

The agi part is true; the strength part was false some days/weeks ago, when (on the website) you could read while pointing your cursor on strenght <<reduces the movement speed penalty caused by weight>> in a tooltip. Now this tooltip is gone.

Just because a tooltip says it doesn't mean it's true.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 08:46:18 am »
Whoop, okay then.

Offline OssumPawesome

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 02:31:39 am »
I don't think this change would do very much, and I'm also not sure its in the right direction.  I wouldn't mind agi builds being more powerful.  But people should be sped up rather than slowed down imo.