Author Topic: Ranged are overlooked when calculating scores!  (Read 4729 times)

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
Re: Ranged are overlooked when calculating scores!
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2012, 04:32:05 pm »
+1
It's hard to get valour with a 15/27 dedicated arbalest player, but with a 15/24 it's quite easy (both level 30 builds). Killing off the archers while being out of the fray in the start an start mopping up with the mace afterwards gives quite a bit of points. 8-)

However, with no ps like with the 15/27 it's way more situational, though I certainly agree, long range shots, especially headshots, should be more rewarded. :wink:
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Adam_Bomb

• Knight
  • Renown: 54
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Im_With_Stupid, Someones_Alt
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2012, 04:40:57 pm »
+1
It's hard to get valour with a 15/27 dedicated arbalest player, but with a 15/24 it's quite easy (both level 30 builds). Killing off the archers while being out of the fray in the start an start mopping up with the mace afterwards gives quite a bit of points. 8-)

However, with no ps like with the 15/27 it's way more situational, though I certainly agree, long range shots, especially headshots, should be more rewarded. :wink:

Not hard, i'd say impossible... So I should have to be a melee xbow hybrid if I want any kind of score, thats bullshit sorry.  I play this game to shoot, I always have, ask anyone in NA.  My K/D ratio is good, WHY as a ranged player do I have to melee for my points now??  I'd like to hear the complaints of two handers if you told them, "yeah as a dedicated melee player, its now very hard to get valor, but all you str build players have to do is pick up a bow and fire off shots if you want any points"  Come on, just fix it, and stop defending this broken system..
I don't know how you can watch with_stupid, every time i see him play i want to put infants in a blender.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2012, 05:03:07 pm »
Impossible? I've done it a couple of times these last few days and I rarely play that characater. Anyway, it's your choice if you want to go absolutely full ranged or a hybrid. You get points the closer you are to the battle and you get points by actually doing hits in melee, and unlike most infantry, you're not getting points for either of those. The only source of points you have as a dedicated sniper are your shots. That you want to stay untouchable, out of reach for most of the enemy team is fine, but it just doesn't produce as much points as some other classes, and I find that fine, you're not exactly as valorous as someone being in the fray, are you now?

I agreed that the points for long range sniping is too low, especially considering you'll rarely get any points for being near the actual combat, but a dedicated sniper shouldn't have the same chance of valour as most infantry, at least in my opinion.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2012, 06:18:26 pm »
For battle, I think the system is fine. Ranged should be focusing cav more than melee, and the point system reflects just that. If as ranged you rarely shoot horses, you're limiting your points by a ton. Horses tend to have a larger affect on the overall battle than a single infantry or ranged character. For siege, where there are far fewer horses and where kills matter much less, the system should probably be changed significantly.

Sadly though, I don't believe that it can be balanced without first changing siege mechanics. Obviously you should get points as a defender for defending the flag and for attackers points for attempting to take the flag, but certain maps don't really allow ranged classes to efficiently do that. You'd have to base the "objective" points on the enemy's proximity to the flag, not your own. Which would mean that if the defenders are putting up a strong defense all round, we're back to where we started, with ranged (specifically crossbowmen) scoring lower. With more objective points, that grants ranged players more chances to get objective points.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Adam_Bomb

• Knight
  • Renown: 54
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Im_With_Stupid, Someones_Alt
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2012, 07:37:13 pm »
+1
I dont play siege so I can't comment on it, but in battle I shoot plenty of horses, still the same 2-3 points.  You don't think its a problem if you can fire off hits all round and still the highest you can get in the scoreboard is the middle?  This mod is just one nerf after another for ranged and it gets old.  There are plenty of archers to speak up and defend their chosen style, not so many arby users (and I think the arbalest should be considered a different playstyle than a regular xbow) so we get the short straw every time and no one cares.  And honestly I don't care about valour, I quit retiring a LONG time ago, xp is meaningless.  Just hate being at the bottom of the scoreboard with as many kills as people near the top.  Had 3 kills after a round today (all long range not easy shots) and had a grand total of 6 points.  It needs to be fixed. How would it hurt the people arguing against it anyway??
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 07:52:47 pm by Adam_Bomb »
I don't know how you can watch with_stupid, every time i see him play i want to put infants in a blender.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2012, 08:27:39 pm »
Could be that crossbows, or the arbalest specifically, score lower because they land fewer hits per round. It does seem like it's more important to simply land a hit with ranged, than to do a lot of damage. Not really sure how you can balance this though. I certainly don't believe an arbalest user should get more points for doing the same amount of damage in a round that an archer does.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2012, 03:51:19 pm »
I think there's something wrong with headshots in general? I haven't really tested it but even in melee I seem to get much less points headshotting someone clean in 1-2 hits then taking 4-5 hits to kill some heavily armored str guy with body shots. Anyone else noticed?

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2012, 10:26:09 pm »
There is something wrong with headshots, considering the points is damage divided by 10 for a hit (Or 50 for a horse with a rider), and I know full well when I smack you in the head with an arrow and one shot you, you did not have a mere 20-30 HP and that is all the damage I dealt. I've never seen a HS score more then 3 points, which is pretty silly considering it encourages much higher scoring bodyshots (Despite previous "nerfs" claiming this mod was promoting skill for range thus the HS Damage Buff).
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2012, 10:57:45 pm »
+1
I think there's something wrong with headshots in general? I haven't really tested it but even in melee I seem to get much less points headshotting someone clean in 1-2 hits then taking 4-5 hits to kill some heavily armored str guy with body shots. Anyone else noticed?

There's something fucked up regarding damage-point calculations, especially for headshots.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Juhanius

• Legendary Engraver
  • Count
  • Renown: 261
  • Infamy: 26
  • "I always hated crossbows, take too long to load!"
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Juhanius, Stormy_Repairs
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2012, 12:23:15 pm »
+6
How about change score system to show only damage done per player and remove all other fancy calculations that make no sense. :rolleyes:

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2012, 05:25:44 pm »
+1
How about change score system to show only damage done per player and remove all other fancy calculations that make no sense. :rolleyes:

Perhaps in addition to the current points system. That way you can see both raw numbers AND the points reflect the importance of the activity.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Juhanius

• Legendary Engraver
  • Count
  • Renown: 261
  • Infamy: 26
  • "I always hated crossbows, take too long to load!"
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Juhanius, Stormy_Repairs
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2012, 08:33:48 pm »
Perhaps in addition to the current points system. That way you can see both raw numbers AND the points reflect the importance of the activity.

Yep sounds good... earlier comment I made was over simplified.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2012, 06:57:48 pm »
+2
Ranged do get screwed on scoreboard. For instance, I have 5 PT, and +3 Heavy Throwing axes. They hit most people for 30+ dmg.

On siege defense (standing on top of a ladder), I can throw an axe, take half a guy's health, and I get 1 point. OR, I can sit AFK on top of the ladder, and let a teammate kill the guy when he gets to the top, and I get 2 points. I get a 1 point penalty for actually contributing to the team...

I throw the axes anyway (because it's fun to chuck lumberjack implements at people), but stupid that I would be rewarded more by doing nothing.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 07:00:53 pm by Phew »

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2012, 07:04:51 pm »
The problem i think is that if ranged where to be given the same points as melee everyone would go range simply because lets face it its fuckin easy to hit multiple targets as an Archer fx.

I agree that throwing is different but i don't think the devs can make it archery only if they where to change it.

Dunno if its true but i doubt we get any feedback from our dear leaders  :lol:

But yeah it is really annoying for throwers since we have shit ammo an its not a walk in the park to hit anything with our shitty projectile speed and acc...

For the guys with 60 arrows and hes medieval machine sniper gun bow well.... fu  :lol:

As if it inst hard enough all ready to compete with the every day random x key cav hero´s in terms of gettin that sexy time valour....

Also very soon every class will become obsolete when Armpit sweat Teminator dildo molester robot gets approved and released after CMP test drives it.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 07:18:18 pm by Tzar »
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline justme

• Count
  • Renown: 188
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandits
  • Game nicks: Bandit_Elsupreme
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2012, 08:55:38 pm »
just dont shoot from the other side of map and expect high point for that..