Poll

yay or nay?

Yes
32 (72.7%)
Noes
12 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: Remove the turn angle limit from overhead attack.  (Read 1093 times)

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
Remove the turn angle limit from overhead attack.
« on: August 10, 2012, 08:19:04 pm »
+6
The original idea was only to change the way stabs work, or was it?

I don't want to sound whiny but I have seen a big change in the way that people play melee nowadays. Less and less people use the overhead attack because it's too easy to dodge without blocking and thus risky to use. It's especially frustrating in duel (not to even speak when you are fighting multiple enemies in battle). Everyone just either hilt slashes continuosly or backpeddle spams. It's boring. Stabs still work well in my opinion, but the overhead feels retarded. Do something pls.

regards
-SoO
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
Re: Remove the turn angle limit from overhead attack.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 08:22:48 pm »
+1
Think overhead was partly because of the mauler no-skill overhead spam in groups, and also the possibility to get around blocks by turning your overhead at the right  time (aiming to the side of your target and drag it in around the block)
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • Renown: 281
  • Infamy: 107
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Konrax of Chaos
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 08:23:56 pm »
1h suffered a lot with overhead attacks now.

Being such short weapons you need to get close and its far to easy for an enemy to dodge swings.

Mind you the animation for 1h overhead is blegh.

Think overhead was partly because of the mauler no-skill overhead spam in groups, and also the possibility to get around blocks by turning your overhead at the right  time (aiming to the side of your target and drag it in around the block)

Your right here, I would like to see it stay the way it is but maybe improve the animations instead for weapons to make it a more viable attack. I think polearm overhead is probably fine, not sure about 2h though, it could maybe use a change. I honestly don't play 2h enough to comment on if it should be changed or not.

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 08:25:50 pm »

Yeah those were annoying things but I would still prefer the non limited overheads.

Offline Voso

• Earl
  • Renown: 330
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The So-so.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Huey's Cavalieres
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 12:11:35 am »
I loved my mallet before they changed the limit, I then found it near impossible to hit overheads on people..

On the other hand, I don't really have to worry about getting crushthroughed anymore, and I already sold my MW Mallet because of this. So I say we should keep it as it is.

There are old sellswords and bold sellswords, but there are no old, bold sellswords.

Offline sF_Guardian

• Marshall
  • Renown: 738
  • Infamy: 254
  • cRPG Player
  • In honour of Pepe the kindest baguette
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sad Hobo Guild, Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Peso, Dondergod, Hobo_loves_Pepe, Ras_Putin_the_stronk, FrenchBow_le_tarlouze, Forrest_Trump...
  • IRC nick: Peso
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 12:13:54 am »
Fuck this, I`m archer :D
I don't want to give a feedback to molly neither i want to ban him,I wanted to give advise high authorities to take his admin rights.Panos you monkey wrench where would u put this topic enlighten me you cancer fuck.

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 12:29:18 am »
+1
Fuck this, I`m archer :D
Ok I'll suggest we implement a turn angle limit to bows when they are drawn. Let's see who's laughing then (not reely)

Voso pls...

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 12:52:30 am »
+3
Maybe it has actually occured to anyone by now, that a longer weapon can hit a wider area than a shorter weapon when turning the same amount. Therefore, pikes, longspears and greatswords haven't been affected all that much and it is us poor 1h who got hit the hardest by this shit.

Thus, make turnrate reduction proportional to the length of the weapon. Wasn't it helicopterspinning with long weapons the target anyway for this change? Spinning such an enormous weapon all over the place looks retarded, whereas spinning a 1h all over the place, does not.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 09:57:11 am by SgtTeeh »

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 01:03:10 am »
Maybe it has actually occured to anyone by now, that a longer weapon can hit a wider area than a shorter weapon of the same length when turning the same amount. Therefore, pikes, longspears and greatswords haven't been affected all that much and it is us poor 1h who got hit the hardest by this shit.

Thus, make turnrate reduction proportional to the length of the weapon. Wasn't it helicopterspinning with long weapons the target anyway for this change? Spinning such an enormous weapon all over the place looks retarded, whereas spinning a 1h all over the place, does not.

Well I think Gurni already explained why it was implemented. Also weapon length =/= reach so it can't be done quite that easily if you want to be fair. It's not only 1h who is suffering from this. My short little long war axe feels weird to use and people keep dodging my overheads :(

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 01:14:37 am »
+4
All I did was abuse overheads on great swords and mauls on my main before the patch, it came out and I hated it at first.  However I must admit I have completely adapted to the change and can use any weapon's overhead just as effectively as before, except I actually have to aim BEFORE I release, instead of randomly attacking first then adjusting for positioning during the animation. 

Even if you are off, you have a good window to pivot it back in, just not 360 degrees anymore.  I no longer team wound in group fighting and can killsteal like a boss an enemy in the middle of 5+ teammates once more.  Dueling and mauling is as easy as before too, except now there is more opportunity to juke enemy overheads, which I actually think is more interesting than it being an unjukable whirlwind attack.
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline sF_Guardian

• Marshall
  • Renown: 738
  • Infamy: 254
  • cRPG Player
  • In honour of Pepe the kindest baguette
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sad Hobo Guild, Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Peso, Dondergod, Hobo_loves_Pepe, Ras_Putin_the_stronk, FrenchBow_le_tarlouze, Forrest_Trump...
  • IRC nick: Peso
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 01:15:59 am »
Ok I'll suggest we implement a turn angle limit to bows when they are drawn. Let's see who's laughing then (not reely)

Voso pls...

Went archer cuz my 36 str Crutcher sucked hard :D
But yeah, gief full turn speed and native fighting speed back,
c-RPG fighting is so dammn slow and lame...
I don't want to give a feedback to molly neither i want to ban him,I wanted to give advise high authorities to take his admin rights.Panos you monkey wrench where would u put this topic enlighten me you cancer fuck.

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 01:47:09 am »
I didnt see a problem with the turnspeed in the first place. I wouldnt mind if gets reset or at least toned down.

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 02:04:16 am »
agreed.

Offline ThePoopy

• Earl
  • Renown: 411
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • .l..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: PolePoop
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 03:23:34 am »
+3
learn to aim

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2012, 03:35:28 am »
Maybe it has actually occured to anyone by now, that a longer weapon can hit a wider area than a shorter weapon of the same length when turning the same amount. Therefore, pikes, longspears and greatswords haven't been affected all that much and it is us poor 1h who got hit the hardest by this shit.

I think the speed of the 1handed weapons balances this out a bit though, you complete the overhead animation way faster than you would with a greatsword.  I haven't done too much 1hander'ing since patch though so it might be a lot regardless but I see the good 1handers performing just as effectively as ever now without too many complaints anymore.  This problem was discussed by the devs and a tweak on turn radius based on weapon weight was considered but who knows where that stands now.
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.