Author Topic: Europa Universalis General Thread  (Read 64658 times)

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
Re: Europa Universalis General Thread
« Reply #450 on: November 03, 2013, 11:56:00 pm »
+1
Started an EU4 MEIOU game as Tuareg, a shitty country with like 6 1-2 basetax 33 manpower provinces between the superpowers of the Maghreb and sub Sahara, thought it'd be a not that awfully hard game until I noticed how poor my provinces were, both my upper and lower neighbor can field 30k troops (seeing as Mali starts with cores on Djolof and Mane they'll likely soon be able to field closer to 50k) while my forcelimit is at 7, to add insult to injury Mali and Fez also ally a day or two after game start. After 3 reloads I was finally able to eat Songhai (due to starting with a core on one of their provs I can still core things there without conquering Mali), if I'm able to expand slowly eastwards without pissing off Mali/Fez enough to revoke my military access or invade me I might just stand a chance at succeeding.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline AntiBlitz

• Duke
  • Renown: 636
  • Infamy: 187
  • cRPG Player
  • American Scum
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: November 04, 2013, 05:18:45 am »
Started an EU4 MEIOU game as Tuareg, a shitty country with like 6 1-2 basetax 33 manpower provinces between the superpowers of the Maghreb and sub Sahara, thought it'd be a not that awfully hard game until I noticed how poor my provinces were, both my upper and lower neighbor can field 30k troops (seeing as Mali starts with cores on Djolof and Mane they'll likely soon be able to field closer to 50k) while my forcelimit is at 7, to add insult to injury Mali and Fez also ally a day or two after game start. After 3 reloads I was finally able to eat Songhai (due to starting with a core on one of their provs I can still core things there without conquering Mali), if I'm able to expand slowly eastwards without pissing off Mali/Fez enough to revoke my military access or invade me I might just stand a chance at succeeding.

The only thing thats sucks though, is that by the 1550's or maybe sooner, you will be getting attacked by westernization, and im sure either Spain or Portugal will be the likely aggressors to do it.  Good luck, you will need it, I wished they would make some of the fighting a little easier, i have a hard time thinking 2,000 Spaniards could kill 53,000 Aztec Warriors.  To me this just doesnt seem right when you see the final death toll is like 12 enemies and you were wiped out. 

Then comes the attempt at westernizing, stupid long, it took me as the Aztecs just short of 100 years(either incredibly bad luck, constant attacks from rebels and Europeans, or a flawed system) to do it, pretty much wasted the game for me, since i was trying to catch up with 14 tech in like 1750 by just finishing westernization....

So after that playthrough i vowed to not play any of the Native tribe like civ's.  Though i dont mind playing as the Asian Nations since you can atleast play the damn game a good while before Europe messes with you.

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: November 04, 2013, 12:00:03 pm »
The only thing thats sucks though, is that by the 1550's or maybe sooner, you will be getting attacked by westernization, and im sure either Spain or Portugal will be the likely aggressors to do it.  Good luck, you will need it, I wished they would make some of the fighting a little easier, i have a hard time thinking 2,000 Spaniards could kill 53,000 Aztec Warriors.  To me this just doesnt seem right when you see the final death toll is like 12 enemies and you were wiped out. 

Then comes the attempt at westernizing, stupid long, it took me as the Aztecs just short of 100 years(either incredibly bad luck, constant attacks from rebels and Europeans, or a flawed system) to do it, pretty much wasted the game for me, since i was trying to catch up with 14 tech in like 1750 by just finishing westernization....

So after that playthrough i vowed to not play any of the Native tribe like civ's.  Though i dont mind playing as the Asian Nations since you can atleast play the damn game a good while before Europe messes with you.
Noneuropean nations don't fall as hard behind in MEIOU as they do in EU4, the incompetent ruler tribal modifiers have also been removed. If I manage to break through Fez by 1450 I should be able to westernize, from EU3 MEIOU Fez usually united the Maghreb though and took most of Egypt and was far stronger than Spain until 1700.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
« Reply #453 on: November 05, 2013, 01:04:11 am »
Hmm, MEIOU? I'm lazy, perchance a link to the changes over vanilla that they do?

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: November 05, 2013, 02:07:33 am »

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #455 on: November 05, 2013, 07:59:10 pm »
Seems kind of ridiculous to have Morocco stronger than Spain. I know there's a lot of disgruntled paradox forum dwellers who think every country should be able to become an advanced superpower and pull off a world conquest but it's really silly.

Europe DID come out of the late middle ages with the best armies (only maybe Japan, Ottomans and the best Asian nomads came close at mid 15th century) & navies. Not only that but European countries did have the best government because they had setup structures that reduced the damage that incompetent god-kings who could ruin everything, which was the main problem of the rest of the world (even the most sophisticated places like China), which allowed them to quickly advance from there.

Offline AntiBlitz

• Duke
  • Renown: 636
  • Infamy: 187
  • cRPG Player
  • American Scum
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: November 08, 2013, 10:13:35 pm »
+3

The Knights, Ironman mode, at the end of 1821. 

Offline Tore

• Item Manager
  • Renown: 882
  • Infamy: 329
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: November 14, 2013, 08:09:29 pm »
241369 Europa Universalis IV: The Monkey King (241369) Depot Unused
241370 Europa Universalis IV: Horse Armor and Monocles Addon Pack (241370) Depot Unused
241371 Europa Universalis IV: Moose Riders of the North Unit Pack (241371) Depot Unused
241372 Europa Universalis IV: Falalalan Dubstep Rap Remix (Infinite loop version) (241372) Depot Unused
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 07:37:39 pm by Tore »

Offline Tore

• Item Manager
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: November 15, 2013, 07:33:55 pm »
accidently doubleposted :(
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 07:37:14 pm by Tore »

Offline Tore

• Item Manager
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: November 15, 2013, 07:35:03 pm »
+1
(click to show/hide)

portugal stronk :D

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: November 16, 2013, 12:18:42 pm »
+1
accidently doubleposted :(
So you proceed to triple post, noice.

Well I finally started on this game and I thought I'd do an easy country first to familiarize myself with all the new mechanics and I picked France. They are just friggin ridiculous. After 18 years I got into a nasty war fighting both Castille and Burgundy for the first time and I won it quite easily. My military quality was just beast compared to theirs. I played some more till I regained l'Hexagon but god they are a walk in the park. Overextension prevents you from expanding quickly though and the aggressive expansion relation penalties makes sure there are only like 5 factions that have a positive relation with me. Guess that is a lot better than EU 3. Every war consisted of fighting an enormous coalition, the biggest one was 15 European nations fighting against me alone.

Time to start on the challenging stuff, anyone got any tricky or interesting suggestions?

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #461 on: November 16, 2013, 02:40:17 pm »
Forging Italy as one of the small states is always fun. So much politic.
Turtles

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: November 16, 2013, 08:21:48 pm »
Time to start on the challenging stuff, anyone got any tricky or interesting suggestions?
Navarra without going colonizing or doing something gamey like taking over an opm far away and expanding from there in peace. Both Castille, Aragon, and France wants you, at least one of them will try to diplovassalize you, the rest will want to conquer you, if you refuse any offers from the diplovassalizers they'll also want to conquer you, very challenging and diplomatic game.

Offline Tore

• Item Manager
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: November 16, 2013, 08:58:40 pm »
So you proceed to triple post, noice.

Well I finally started on this game and I thought I'd do an easy country first to familiarize myself with all the new mechanics and I picked France. They are just friggin ridiculous. After 18 years I got into a nasty war fighting both Castille and Burgundy for the first time and I won it quite easily. My military quality was just beast compared to theirs. I played some more till I regained l'Hexagon but god they are a walk in the park. Overextension prevents you from expanding quickly though and the aggressive expansion relation penalties makes sure there are only like 5 factions that have a positive relation with me. Guess that is a lot better than EU 3. Every war consisted of fighting an enormous coalition, the biggest one was 15 European nations fighting against me alone.

Play Albania, you start in a war with Ottomans so it should be hard :mrgreen:

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: November 17, 2013, 01:47:04 pm »
+1
In 1444 A.D. the Portuguese king saw the devestation from all the European great power wars and stated 'I don't want to live on this continent anymore'. He started preparing for a full evacuation of Europe to live peacefully in the uncharted lands of Africa.

58 years after his majesty had this brilliant idea Africa looks like this, after balls to the wall colonization and conquest paying zero attention to Europe.
(click to show/hide)

Situation in Europe, remarkably unchanged since the starting date. Fuck all has happened, maybe Europe isn't such a bad place to live after all.
(click to show/hide)

Here's the country tab and my economy tab
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

My reliance on gold mines is racking up quite the inflation, but it costs 75 administrative power to reduce it, which is quite negligble compared to all the power I spent coring everything. Gold is pretty much the only thing that really comes through from Africa. 3.26 from the tariffs of my 28 overseas provinces, compared to 9 continental provinces, which apparently includes Madeira and the Azores. I think moving my capital would definitely benefit my economy now, especially since I recently started accepting Mali culture. Tax base is surprisingly good in Africa, Timbuktu has 14, compared to 10 in Lisboa. I have moved my capital overseas before in EU III which required you to isolate your capital, which in Portugal case would only mean getting rid of one province. They changed it now to requiring your capital to be the only province on the continent, which means getting rid of 8 provinces including either the Azores or Madeira. Which I was planning eventually anyway, but it is fairly difficult to do while not ruining yourself. Not sure how to get started on that, prolly a war with Castille. 

It's not really challenging per say, but I felt like doing this. I'll post an update when I have departed Europe.